What's your story!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Hey all!

So I started this group because I noticed there wasn't one yet on MFP!

My name's Melyssa, I'm 25 from QC, Canada.

I found out about YAYOG around december last year. Went through the first 6 weeks after new year but then dropped out for no good reason (that's right, making excuses is not why I'm here!) and then decided to start the basic program all over again about 2 months ago. I've been gaining strength and feeling so much better since I started! :) Basically ruled out lower back/sciatic nerve issues thanks to the program!

So let us know who you are, and how the program's doing for you! I know on fitocracy it's been a real motivation to see other people struggling through the same workouts as I've been, so don't be afraid to share your experiences!

Heck, adding in a little more fun: what is the exercise that you love to hate the most? For me that would be Let me Ins. Ugh. Doorknobs were NOT meant to be grabbed this way, lol!

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I bought this book a while ago but decided to incorporate some of the workouts into my own program. I'm bastardizing it by doing it at the gym. I did close grips rows on a cable machine instead of let me ins. Shh... Don't tell anyone.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I actually am not using this book, but using the similar book "Convict Conditioning." I am, however, using YAYOG for the nutritional information and other information that is missing from CC. I started my first workout yesterday, and it gave me a huge boost in confidence and how I felt about myself (though I never felt fatter! lol).

I'll post more later.
  • jumatwins
    Options
    Hi,

I just bought the book and read the first chapters and now am ready to start the training. but I am not sure how or where to start? With which exerises? for how long? I know he explains some different types of training-routine, but it's just not clear to me...I think I need to re-read this section again. I will also look at the app for my Ipad...maybe there are clear suggestions on what to include in your workout?
    I am 40, Female, and also from QC, Canada.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Look at the basic program. It will give you week by week instructions.
  • jumatwins
    Options
    Oh my...I feel blond right now...:-)
    I just hadn't looked at the entire book...I had stopped at the exercises secton...lol:-)
    In any case, thank you!!
    I also bought the app, just 1.99$ so it's ok :-)
  • krokador
    Options
    Yep, the YAYOG app is the only one I ever bought for my phone! It clearly was a great investment, if only for the timers! Has anyone figured out how to review saved workouts yet, though? haha.

I'm on the last week of the basic program. Stappers will kick the fat right out of ya. Hoping to manage 11 cycles the next time around!
  • semillama
    Options
    I don't even remember how I heard of YAYOG, but I downloaded the book to my Kindle five months ago about the same time I joined Fitocracy, and it's been great! I moved right to first class after finishing basic, and just finished first class. I was going to do the program over again, but then I've heard to just repeat the undulating blocks until you can do the minimum requirements for the next level. Seems like there is a bigger difference between First Class and Chief than between Basic and First class. I joined up on MFP after seeing it recommended in the Healthy eating group on Fitocracy and so far, it's great!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Any others still doing this routine? I just bought the book and am eager to have a go at it.
  • krokador
    Options
    I'll be giving it another go more than likely when I'll finish Tapout XT (so probably right after the holidays :))

I'll basically be redoing begginer, but with real push-ups all the way and some of the 1st class exercises subbed in for the ones that are too easy, as well as replace/enhance Core days with some of the Tapout XT workouts, possibly. And add in some muay thai or cardio XT for some added heart pumpin' :)

Unless XT 2 comes out before christmas in which case I might very well just jump to that, haha!
  • krommama
    krommama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I picked up a copy of the book last week at the library and read it cover to cover. I bought the app over the weekend, and did week 1 day 1 of the basic workout yesterday and day 2 today. whew! I'm a 40 year old, stay at home homeschooling mom, who hasn't worked out seriously since college. It's going to be a tough road ahead, but thankfully, my husband just started working out too, so we can encourage each other. I like the idea of saving time and money by working out at home. Plus I feel like I'm working my whole body including my balance. I have a feeling I will be repeating the first two weeks until I get a better grasp of the exercises, and I'm curious to see his new book for women coming out in January.
  • krokador
    Options
    I would actually advise against repeating the first 2 weeks. The 3rd and 4th have a different way of working your muscles that will 1) be welcome (because ladders = HEAVY DOMS as per my experience), and 2) make you progress more at that point.

You don't have to be perfect to move forward in phases, really. The only part Mark Lauren advises to repeat is the undulating block at the end if you don't feel you're ready to move forward to the next level. (it's on the website's forum if you look around a bit)
  • krommama
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just concerned that I'm pretty much useless after a workout for about an hour. Hopefully that will get better. Plus I wasn't able to do a single let me up yesterday.
  • violet976
    Options
    I just gave the first day of the beginner workout a go yesterday, and it really put me in my place. I just gave it my best shot, and didn't do the "let me in's" because I have to figure out where to do them (probably the post of our deck). I began pushups on the floor, but quickly had to move my way up to counter top level, and looked pretty pathetic through the dips & "let me ups" as well.

Question on the ladders though... from what I read on the Mark Lauren Forums, you are supposed to set the timer for 7.5 minutes, then begin with 1 rep, rest for as long as 1 rep took, then do 2 reps, then rest for as long as 2 reps took, working until you couldn't do the next reps without muscle failure and then working back down again. Then, they said you were supposed to rest between that set for about a minute or so. If that's the case, when you work back down to 1 and then rest for a minute or so, is that included in the 7.5 minutes of the workout, or are you supposed to stop the clock until you begin the next rep?

NEVERMIND: I'm pretty sure they meant that you can rest for a few minutes between the actual exercises... not the bottom of the ladders to the next count up. Bugger. :p

I've read that part of the book quite a few times, but I'm still a bit confused by what a correct routine of ladders is.
  • krokador
    Options
    A whole set of ladders last 7.5 minutes, where the ONLY rest you get is after completing the number of reps of your current step. You go as high as you CAN without going to failure (if it's only 1, then keep doing 1s, try to keep rest to a mimimum). You complete the 7.5 mins and then take a minute break to catch your breath and shake out the muscles some.

I couldn't do more than 2 let me ups with knees bent when I started, either. I still don,t have much strength on those, to be honest xD My setup isn't the best though. The only advice I can give you is to tighten your core before lifting yourself up. It's not just your arms that you should use; your entire back has a role to play. At first you can assist with your feet too (sorta like doing a hip bridge, but with your arms pulling your upper body up also).

The Android/iOS app helps a lot with keeping track for ladders, i have to admit. Never regretted spending that 2$ =D

But yes, once you progress to the supersets, you'll feel a lot stronger (and a different kind of exertion when you're done). Just keep at it and somewhere down the line you'll also start feelnig great! :)
  • krommama
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I did the second day workout yesterday, and my body is screaming at me today. I'm glad I am taking today off from working out : ) I will press on tomorrow! I keep telling myself "it has to get better" : )
  • violet976
    Options
    You're supposed to take days off on this program, aren't you? I thought it was just 4 days per week, so something like Mon, Wed, Fri, Sunday, correct?
  • krommama
    Options
    That's how I understood it. I worked out Monday and Tuesday, took Wednesday off, and will workout Thursday and Friday.
  • krokador
    Options
    How you split it up is up to you. Since workout 1 and 2 work two completely different sets of muscles, I did a 2 day on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off split. Doesn't really matter how you do it, go with what feels right for you!
  • caligulala
    caligulala Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are finishing up our second week of the basic program this weekend. Seeing some results already which is encouraging! Have also noticed increased range of motion during some of my stretches, which is an unexpected benefit.

After reading the book, my husband thought the workouts were going to be a piece of cake. He had been smirking at my soreness after day 1. That first workout wiped the smirk right off his face.

Love the app; not sure how I'd manage without the built in timer!
  • krokador
    Options
    I just started the 1st class program. I had to modify the let me ups though, I really don't have that much pulling strength (bt it was the only thing holding me back, so I figured I'd modify and keep getting stronger)

Man, those ladders really build you up to intense soreness xD It's good to be back at it again! Today was leg day, and I can barely walk haha.