A man and his bathroom...

Options
afv417
afv417 Posts: 466 Member
Men- you are 30, own your own home but do not keep it up. How would you feel/react if the girl you are dating mentions the cleanliness of your bathroom? Like so: "Can I help you clean your bathroom?" (I couldn't get myself to ask him to clean it himself:ohwell: )

His response was- "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was that bad. I can clean it." I thanked him and felt appreciated. I was actually cleaning up my dishes and cleaned the kitchen while I was at it. He was thankful. When I went to shower the bathroom was half clean...:indifferent:

Thoughts? Women, please chime in too. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    How dirty is it? At 30 this could be a dealbreaker.... :sick:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You're very sweet. I'm afraid I wouldnt be so subtle about it!! :laugh:
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, no kidding. I don't think I could deal with a grown man that can't even keep a bathroom clean. Yikes!!!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Men- you are 30, own your own home but do not keep it up. How would you feel/react if the girl you are dating mentions the cleanliness of your bathroom? Like so: "Can I help you clean your bathroom?" (I couldn't get myself to ask him to clean it himself:ohwell: )

His response was- "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was that bad. I can clean it." I thanked him and felt appreciated. I was actually cleaning up my dishes and cleaned the kitchen while I was at it. He was thankful. When I went to shower the bathroom was half clean...:indifferent:

Thoughts? Women, please chime in too. :flowerforyou:

I will say first and foremost, the key to a happy relationship is having separate bathrooms (friend's fathers advice).

I see nothing wrong with what you did. It does seem you have to specify the entire bathroom next time though. :laugh:
  • afv417
    Options
    How dirty is it? At 30 this could be a dealbreaker.... :sick:

Dirty... He cleaned off the vanity and the trash can and wiped the toilet.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I just would make a joke about it like "wow, when did the bomb go off in your bathroom?" That's a good opening for him to say something and then you could offer.

Men, keep your *kitten* clean.
  • afv417
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with what you did. It does seem you have to specify the entire bathroom next time though. :laugh:

I guess I do... lol
  • afv417
    Options
    I just would make a joke about it like "wow, when did the bomb go off in your bathroom?" That's a good opening for him to say something and then you could offer.

I had been there a few times already and couldn't bring myself up to saying anything... so it would've been too late to throw that one out there! I figured it's now or never because he will think I am OK with all of this... :noway:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

I had been there a few times already and couldn't bring myself up to saying anything... so it would've been too late to throw that one out there! I figured it's now or never because he will think I am OK with all of this... :noway:

Tell him you cant spend the night with the bathroom looking that way :laugh: ..... In all honesty you might want to phrase it more nicely but tell him your uncomfortable with the bathroom being that wau. Maybe invite him to your house so he can see you bathroom
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I am proud to say that no woman has ever negatively commented about my bathroom. My bedroom on the other hand >.>
  • afv417
    Options

Tell him you cant spend the night with the bathroom looking that way :laugh: ..... In all honesty you might want to phrase it more nicely but tell him your uncomfortable with the bathroom being that wau. Maybe invite him to your house so he can see you bathroom

You don't know how bad I want to show him "my" bathroom but I don't have one yet!!! :sad:

I'm new to the area and I am looking to buy and have been trying to get accquainted with all the areas so I'm staying with my parents in the mean time.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Not sure what I'd say if someone mentioned it to me, but I think if I were you in the situation I wouldn't say anything unless I'm paying the mortgage. However being 30 and owning my own house, I wouldn't have a girl over unless my house was spotless. This might speak to how messy he is that he wouldn't scrub the h*ll out of the place before you came over.
  • afv417
    Options
    Not sure what I'd say if someone mentioned it to me, but I think if I were you in the situation I wouldn't say anything unless I'm paying the mortgage. However being 30 and owning my own house, I wouldn't have a girl over unless my house was spotless. This might speak to how messy he is that he wouldn't scrub the h*ll out of the place before you came over.

That's what I was thinking! this is an investment, why wouldn't you keep it clean, not just for me, but for yourself! :ohwell:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I am proud to say that no woman has ever negatively commented about my bathroom. My bedroom on the other hand >.>

Same here Cesar. My bedroom was full of junk till I cleared it all out a few weeks ago.

OTOH even if I see a stray hair in my bathroom I go into a cleaning frenzy! :laugh:
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

That's what I was thinking! this is an investment, why wouldn't you keep it clean, not just for me, but for yourself! :ohwell:

Well I will admit to not always keeping things clean... I tend to leave stuff on table tops or counters, as it's just me there and it's my crap so I don't really mind it. However if someone is coming over, I'll go over everything and make sure it looks as best it can... I actually painted the walls one time before having a girl over. I would be concerned about the fact he doesn't seem embarrassed about his mess in front of others.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I have gotten compliments from women regarding the level of cleanliness in my apartment.

With that said, I often clean extensively before a woman shows up at my place.

You'd be surprised at how much cleaning can go into a bachelor pad type apartment.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've run into the exact opposite problem. I'm a hardcore neat freak and everything must be spotless. I'm definitely the worst person I know when it comes to this.

I'm VERY anti- pets because the hair would drive me nuts. This has turned off a few potential women when I'm looking to date them.

I even thought about buying those disposable "booties" and make my guest where them when they come over.
  • afv417
    Options

Well I will admit to not always keeping things clean... I tend to leave stuff on table tops or counters, as it's just me there and it's my crap so I don't really mind it. However if someone is coming over, I'll go over everything and make sure it looks as best it can... I actually painted the walls one time before having a girl over. I would be concerned about the fact he doesn't seem embarrassed about his mess in front of others.

Messy is one thing. I can be messy from time to time, leaving things on table tops and such and am able to quickly pick it up and recover. Being dirty is another story.

I don't want to address it any further as we are just dating and I am even unsure of where to go with what we have, partly because of the way he keeps his home.

Thanks for your input!
  • afv417
    Options
    I've run into the exact opposite problem. I'm a hardcore neat freak and everything must be spotless. I'm definitely the worst person I know when it comes to this.

I'm VERY anti- pets because the hair would drive me nuts. This has turned off a few potential women when I'm looking to date them.

I even thought about buying those disposable "booties" and make my guest where them when they come over.

He has THREE 60lbs dogs in the house (one is his own, long story) who OWN/RULE the couch. I LOVE dogs (I have one of my own) but you have to keep order somehow.

Booties, Mike? I'll be meeting you at the local Starbucks. LOL All jokes aside though, kudos for being clean!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Darling! And thus ends our MFP love story! :sad:
    No booties, not a neat freak and have a dog.
    I'm crushed! :wink: