Newbie Concerns about gaining weight.

Options
TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
I am 5'2" and weight about 110ibs (depending on the day, I range from 110 - 115).

In the past, I have fenced and for the past few months I have been rock climbing. Other than that, I have no athletic experience.

So, I'm curious... when weight lifting, should I expect to see my weight rise or fall over a year?

Either is fine, but I want to make sure I am doing everything right. If I am losing when I should be gaining then I'm failing to create muscle. If I gain when I should expect to lose, then I am probably gaining fat. At least, this is what I assume.

What has been your experience?

Replies

• briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are using the weight lifting for. If you are using it for fat loss, you would eat at a slight deficit (about %10-%20 cut from TDEE) with the goal of going down in weight.

If you are trying to build muscle, from my understanding you would eat slightly above maintenance to feed your growing muscles.

Not sure what eating at maintenance does....lol. I'm really no expert, but it seems like you are already at a great weight so I'd be looking to reduce BF % and put on muscle which could result in weight gain, however it would be good weight gain.

Again, I'm no expert so maybe somebody else will provide some additional insight!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are using the weight lifting for. If you are using it for fat loss, you would eat at a slight deficit (about %10-%20 cut from TDEE) with the goal of going down in weight.

If you are trying to build muscle, from my understanding you would eat slightly above maintenance to feed your growing muscles.

Not sure what eating at maintenance does....lol. I'm really no expert, but it seems like you are already at a great weight so I'd be looking to reduce BF % and put on muscle which could result in weight gain, however it would be good weight gain.

Again, I'm no expert so maybe somebody else will provide some additional insight!

^^ yes.
    My understanding is this: If you want to build muscle you have to eat above maintenance (at a slight surplus), and if you want to lose fat, you need to eat at a slight deficit. Like you, I'm basically at a healthy weight for my height as well--I could stand to lose a few pounds but I'd rather work on becoming leaner through weight training rather than just losing weight. So I try to eat at a slight deficit. When I am consistent, it seems to work. I don't gain or lose, but I get firmer and look better.

The title of your post is 'concerns about gaining weight' so I'm assuming you don't want to gain weight even if it's muscle weight. I feel the same way. When you lift, you'll probably weigh more than you'd like, but you'll look like you'll weigh less. This is why I don't weigh very often. I tend to get hung up on the number on the scale, and I think I'm 'too fat' even when I'm wearing my size 6 jeans, and I know I couldn't possibly be 'fat.' In order to get past that, I don't weight but rather go by how my clothes fit and use a measuring tape (sometimes).

I am also curious about what happens when you eat at maintenance. I don't remember the book addressing this necessarily. If you basically maintain at a deficit (you lose fat but your weight does not change), would you gain slowly on maintenance? Maybe a body builder-type will step in and lend some insight.
  • briebear77
    Options
    Agreed because I am really not sure about the maintenance thing! I personally think it would be hard to eat RIGHT at maintenance. You are either going to be a little over or a little under each day. So perhaps it depends on which way you're trending? This is just speculation now, though.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My concern about gaining weight is about whether or not I should expect it. If it is healthy to gain weight, then I want to know that. I'm still think of additional pounds on the scale as a negative thing, but if I should see the numbers rise with added muscle, then I need to know that number is actually a good result.

I guess, at the end of the day, I don't care if I gain or lose when I lift weights. I just want to know if I should expect to see one or the other given that I have no need to lose any more weight than I have.

Thanks for the advice though.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'm on stage 2, I eat slightly under what the book recommends, by no more than 100cals. I gained a few pounds and now fluctuate between three pounds up and down every day. I haven't really lost any inches so far, but my body is way more muscular. I weigh 134-136 usually, 5'7. I hate seeing the higher numbers, I had gotten as low as 131 with just cardio prior to starting this program, I think I've finally gotten my brain retrained to think 134-136 is ok for a new norm and stop stressing about getting to the lower scale numbers. I do think my body looks better now
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just bumping in because I will be starting in a few weeks, but eating maintenance, so waiting for a comment on that :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I started out in August at 123lbs (I'm 5'5"). I was super duper strict with my diet through Stage 1 and ended that stage at 121lbs. Then I decided based on some long-term goals that it was in my best interest to take a diet break and really focus on doing the program to builds as much strength as possible. I am not pigging out or eating junk food but I have loosened up my eating habits a bit and really try to get in a lot of protein. I just finished up Stage 4 today and I'm hovering around 127lbs. Those 6ish pounds have come on in the past 12 weeks. I haven't taken measurements lately but my pants all fit the same. My arms and back really look good and my abs are better than they've been since I've birthed my babies so I'm good with it. I won't lie....sometimes I get frustrated by the scale going up but I'm working on the fact that it's totally a mental thing for me and that as long as I look and feel good that scale # doesn't matter.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So If I'm trying to loose weight I'd eat below maintenance?

But by how much?
  • briebear77
    Options
    Lovelylady, figure out your TDEE and reduce it my %10-%20, that's what you'd want to be eating at for slow fat loss and as much lean body mass retention as possible.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    My concern about gaining weight is about whether or not I should expect it. If it is healthy to gain weight, then I want to know that. I'm still think of additional pounds on the scale as a negative thing, but if I should see the numbers rise with added muscle, then I need to know that number is actually a good result.

I guess, at the end of the day, I don't care if I gain or lose when I lift weights. I just want to know if I should expect to see one or the other given that I have no need to lose any more weight than I have.

Thanks for the advice though.

Yes, you should expect to gain a few pounds (I think the norm is 2-5 for most of us) in the beginning(the first few weeks) simply from water weight. You probably won't see a noticeable difference from actual muscle weight for several weeks or months. I am not saying this based on experience, just from what I have read. Try eating at your TDEE for the first month or two if you're not worried about losing. Go by how your clothes fit and take pictures to measure your progress.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage 2, I eat slightly under what the book recommends, by no more than 100cals. I gained a few pounds and now fluctuate between three pounds up and down every day. I haven't really lost any inches so far, but my body is way more muscular. I weigh 134-136 usually, 5'7. I hate seeing the higher numbers, I had gotten as low as 131 with just cardio prior to starting this program, I think I've finally gotten my brain retrained to think 134-136 is ok for a new norm and stop stressing about getting to the lower scale numbers. I do think my body looks better now

This could be me writing....I am 5'7", fluctuate between 125-130 depending on day...my lowest was 123 with more cardio and NO weight training...but I like my body shape, muscles way more now!

Have fun gaining muscle! You're so lean already you'll be able see results beautifully!
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just new to this! How many calories does everyone eat per day?

Right now, I"m 5'2, 130 lbs and looking to lose fat/gain muscle. While at first MFP put me at 1,200 calories per day I now eat 1,500. The book's forumla put me at 1,949 calories for non-workout days and 2,192 for lifting days. I'm nervous to up my calories that much!

And I'm not concerned necessarily about if the scale goes up, but rather how I look/feel. For those who the scale DID go up--do you believe it was due to increased muscle mass, and not the increase in calories?

Thanks for the help!
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful article!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Just new to this! How many calories does everyone eat per day?

Right now, I"m 5'2, 130 lbs and looking to lose fat/gain muscle. While at first MFP put me at 1,200 calories per day I now eat 1,500. The book's forumla put me at 1,949 calories for non-workout days and 2,192 for lifting days. I'm nervous to up my calories that much!

And I'm not concerned necessarily about if the scale goes up, but rather how I look/feel. For those who the scale DID go up--do you believe it was due to increased muscle mass, and not the increase in calories?

Thanks for the help!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ I like to use this calculator for calories. It's pretty much the same as the book only you eat the same amount every day. I am currently trying to lose weight (still have a lot to lose), so I can't really speak for someone who has gone up in weight other than the initial water weight fluctuations starting back after a long break.
    Take your measurements and progress pics, eat your protein, and make calorie changes slowly if you aren't happy with your results. Good luck!