Calories and heart rate?

Options
So i kinda posted this question in another thread yesterday, but no one has answered.

What are you guys doing calorie wise while working out with CLX TF/TJ?

Eating bmr, eating less, eating your workout calories back, eating tdee?

Also are you guys wearing a HRM while working out? I have all of Chalenes workouts but I mainly focus on CLX and TJ (TF is a little extreme for me atm). But when i do TJ my heart rate is through the roof, like always 175-185, is this bad since its pretty much for the whole workout?

My nutritionist wanted me to keep my heart rate around 135-156 but I just love working out hard and feeling like i actually accomplished something.

Any thoughts to this?

Replies

• lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I started TF my heart rate was always in the high 170s (I weighed 240ish at the time). As I got better and lost weight, it now stays in the high 150s, and pushes up to about 165 when I am doing Fire drills. I notice that I recover from the intense workouts so much faster though. I don't think it is bad for you to be in the 170's.

As far as calories, I am shooting for 1500/day (mfp says I should eat 1260 before exercise) so I guess that means I eat back a portion of my exercise calories. I have lost 30lbs in the last 3 months with TF so I think it is working!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't purposely try to keep my hear rate lower unless I had a medical reason to do so, generally the higher my heart rate, the more calories I'm burning!

Personally, I eat 1200 + exercise calories. (sometimes more, depends on the day but that's my goal). I just do it that way because it's easier for me to just add back whatever I burn so I can know what to eat everyday.

you wouldn't lose eating tdee, right?
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

MFP wants me at 1200 but i usually eat around 1600-1700 a day so i guess i just wont eat back anymore exercise calories hahaha
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why does your nutritionist wants you to keep your HR low? If you have no health issues, just do it...Mine goes up to 177 (and I'm old :laugh: when I do HITT or CX's Burn intervals....
    I don't eat my exercise cals back, but I'm on a TDEE- 15% thing - have only about 15lbs to lose....
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Since I was lifting and trying to gain some muscle, I was eating 2000 calories/day period. I didn't worry about calories burned or eating back, I just ate 2000 calories and besides initially gaining 2 lbs maintained through the rest of the program.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Why does your nutritionist wants you to keep your HR low? If you have no health issues, just do it...Mine goes up to 177 (and I'm old :laugh: when I do HITT or CX's Burn intervals....
    I don't eat my exercise cals back, but I'm on a TDEE- 15% thing - have only about 15lbs to lose....

lol I dont really know, i think she believes in the whole fat burning zone thing. She also thinks that having your heart rate too high for too long produces results exactly opposite of what i want....

lol i don't see her anymore its just something she said that has been stuck in my head
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

lol I dont really know, i think she believes in the whole fat burning zone thing. She also thinks that having your heart rate too high for too long produces results exactly opposite of what i want....

lol i don't see her anymore its just something she said that has been stuck in my head

The thing is, your HR will go up during turbo fire and burn intervals and burn it off, but not really during the strength videos. My HRM tells me what "zone" I"m in, and you need a certain % of the high heart rate zone minutes per week---doing too much in one day should be no problem, you just need to balance it during the week. And you will know when your HR is too high--when mine gets around 160-165 I definitely slow it down for a few seconds to make sure I'm in check. You will achieving this balance during CLX because some days are all strength, a few are all cardio.

I eat at a maintenance level, around 1500-1600 and then definitely add my exercise calories in--so that could be 250-500 calories depending on what I'm doing that day. Sounds like you are probably on target with your calories--you probably will average 1600-1700 with your exercise calories added in....
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    My heart rate gets almost as high with CLX (strength circuits) as it does with TurboFire. With CLX, it can get up into the 160s, with TurboFire HIITs it will sometimes get into the 170s. I use an HRM and I burn tons of calories with both.

I am not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have tachycardia (my resting heart rate is higher than normal) and my cardiologist told me not to worry about how high my heart rate gets during exercise. He had done a stress test on me and said that even though my heart rate gets really high, it recovers quickly. Apparently, as I understood it, the thing to measure is your recovery time. My HRM does this, so if you're really concerned about it, you may want to get an HRM with this feature to see how well you are recovering. (Hope I've made sense here!)