Benefits of Running Club

Options
pabscabs
pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
Hi,

I'm wondering how many of you are in an athletics or running club? I'm considering joining my local athletics club.

My only worry is I'm very tight on time. I have 3 children from age 10 months to 4 years and my wife would probably kill me if this was going to take up a significant amount of time.

One of the reasons I love running is I can just go whenever I get an hour either when the kids are asleep or before I go to work.

On the other side any runner I've meet who has joined a running club has seen significant improvements in their marathon times and their general running. I'm getting the feeling I need to push myself again I wonder if this is the right direction?

Any opinions or experiences would be welcomed.

Pabs

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted to join a running group but have yet to find a local one that fits my whacky schedule (both kids play competitive soccer and have busy year 'round practice schedules). So far I've found I'm pretty consistent on my own but, based on my experience with my tri club, am pretty sure that being in a group setting I would probably push myself a bit harder. (My tri club tends to focus on the cycling & swim portions of the sport - we do short brick runs in the summer and have some organized running events).

I've got a couple of running friends who attribute a fair bit of their progress to participating in a running group (accountability & competitiveness)
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Brian I think I'm in the same boat as you. I know it will help me but I don't know what type of time commitments I'll need to make.

If I jump (and my wife divorces me!!) I'll let you know how I get on and how much time I need to commit.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    am sure every club is different. IN the case of the club I am in the time is mine to commit or not. I go to group runs if I can and when not I do not. It is fun to run with others from time to time and I would say my time commitment to the cluib is almost zero
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I wish we had one where I live. I run solo. Currently training for my next marathon in March!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wish we had one where I live. I run solo. Currently training for my next marathon in March!

Start one! :happy:
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been a solo runner for quite a while and joined a club about 2 months ago...I have seen some pretty signficant pace improvements from it. Not sure why this is the case...most of the runners are faster than me and I do have to push myself to keep up...so maybe it's a little speed work in disguise.

But besides that it's just fun! I join them 1-2xs a week due to time constaints and because I still enjoy my "alone" time. They also tend to run shorter distances which is actually a good thing for me right now, but when I'm in a training cycle it can be an issue.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm part of one.

The best part about mine is that you have manned water stops for the long runs. People will volunteer to bring water, gatorade, fig newtons, gummy bears, Gu, Swedish Fish etc...

Usually you can do a few workouts with the group before they ask you to join / pay...
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am also part of a running club. Although they have weekly time trials and an organised run almost every day, it doesn't really fit into my schedule. However, the programs and support are excellent. We have a club tent at the major races which is a big help. I also join a lot of the long runs and have made new friends that now double as running partners over weekends.
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm convinced. I'm joining.