Newbies??

Options
josiereside
josiereside Posts: 720 Member
Anyone just starting this program?? I just finished week 1 and looking for support, encourgement, advice... etc...

Replies

• jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started this week as well. :)
    Actually, my legs are just starting to hurt less after trying to squat the bar on Monday. I had to hold dumbbells instead. So. Painful!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm a NOOB, about four weeks in and loving it! I certainly can't offer any advice though, as I lurk this board daily for tips, suggestions and helpful Q&A. :wink:
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just got the book a few days ago! I've already read it 2x through!!
    I feel so overwhelmed =)
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I did too!
    Just jump in- take it one workout at a time. I'm learning that there's a big learning curve when you start lifting- you have to learn what your body can an cant handle, no one can tell you that.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting the program today. Feel free to add me for support. Please add a message where you saw me. I'm denying requests without a message.
  • josiereside
    Options
    How is everyone doing?? Scale was up 2 pounds.. but I had a very stressful week with having to put our cat to sleep... I am so much a stress eater.....
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am just wrapping up week 1 today.

I finished up a pretty intense 5-day a week, 8 week long lifting program, so only lifting 3 days a week feels like I'm slacking. But, this seems like a fun program and will keep me busy and challenged for months.

Once I figured out how to get on (and stay on) the swiss ball to do the jackknives, those were pretty fun. Push ups are brutal, I have a lot of weight to push up. I am doing them military style, but I'm not going all the way down for all of them yet. My big goal is to be able to do 2 sets of 15 push ups with my chest just about hitting the floor. Also, by the end of the 6 months I would like to be able to climb a rope - for that to happen my upper body strength will need to build and my weight will need to drop.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing?? Scale was up 2 pounds.. but I had a very stressful week with having to put our cat to sleep... I am so much a stress eater.....

I'm not even going to weight myself. I checked my weight before starting out yesterday but that will be it. I'm retaining water like crazy when lifting.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Sorry about your kitty. :cry:
  • CmeATtheGym
    CmeATtheGym Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hope to start reading the book this weekend, I am very interested in incorporating this into my fitness routine.

Add Me !
  • josiereside
    Options

Sorry about your kitty. :cry:

Thanks... still hard but the tears are flowing less...
  • josiereside
    Options
    Stage 1, Week 2 Day 1 workout B done... Struggled with the lunges today... I possibly have a meniscal injury and when I tried to up my weight today my knee felt unstable so backed it down a bit. Other than that, back on track with tracking my calories... Seems crazy that I am to eat 2000 calories today, seems like so many... My range goes from 1540 to 2053 depending on activity... I hope to see a slight change in the scale this week but at least I took pics and measurements at the start of this since I know that is a better tracking method than scale... Wish I knew my body fat percentage...
    How is everyone else??
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There's a body fat% calculator at fat2fitradio.com. It was startling to me to see I am carrying around 42 pounds of body fat!
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie now. Ladies, was it discouraging/scary to start out working with the big weights in the gym? I just left day 2 today really frustrated and discouraged with myself. For starters, being this time of the year it was PACKED and every time I needed a machine/weights they were taken. And I just feel clueless like I don't know how to do the weights right (or even where I can do them at, like the squat rack and deadlifts). I really want to do this program but I'm just still self-conscious doing these sets especially if I'm not doing them correctly. Any advice or words of wisdom??

:(
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started this morning, but right now the hardest thing is trying to figure out how to post to everyone elses posts..... anyone who can help me I would really appreciate it! I finally gave up reading about all the different things that go on with your body and headed to the actual workout section! I do agree that upping the calories scares me to death, but also don't want to not eat enough either...interested to see what others are doing. First day was a little awkward but I'm already looking forward to day 2~ just feels so good to be working on serious fitness! :smile: I just wish they had a smiley face with dumbbells!
  • josiereside
    Options
    I am out of here temporarily ladies... having knee surgery the end of month and have been having some elbow pain issues so at only 5 weeks into the program, I have to stop for now...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie now. Ladies, was it discouraging/scary to start out working with the big weights in the gym? I just left day 2 today really frustrated and discouraged with myself. For starters, being this time of the year it was PACKED and every time I needed a machine/weights they were taken. And I just feel clueless like I don't know how to do the weights right (or even where I can do them at, like the squat rack and deadlifts). I really want to do this program but I'm just still self-conscious doing these sets especially if I'm not doing them correctly. Any advice or words of wisdom??

:(

Pay for a trainer for at least 1 time for each workout (A & B). You will be amazed how much it helps! I was that new too. A trainer will show you around the racks, make sure you aren't putting too much weight on, and will make sure you're using correct form so you don't hurt yourself! It's ok to feel self-conscious. Just don't let it stop you. The guys will respect you, believe me.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started the program yesterday. I'm definitely sore today but it's a good kind of sore. I'm already excited about starting Workout B Wednesday.
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea SueLegal...thanks! I'm going to attempt it again tomorrow at 5am when there is hopefully fewer people.
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started the program yesterday. I'm definitely sore today but it's a good kind of sore. I'm already excited about starting Workout B Wednesday.
    same here on all counts......started yesterday, a bit sore today, but ready for tomorrow!