Alone at Christmas

Options
2»

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Do what makes you comfortable - he might be alone on Christmas but just do something special with him before or after. Unless you are able to say to your daughter that this is a friend of yours who wasn't able to see his mommy and daddy during the holidays, and Christmas is about love and unity. It's perfectly okay to not want to do that - but only you can judge how you feel about the relationship.

This. It is early days, but only you know what's right for you, your daughter and your relationship. Even if you decide not to have him join you on 'the day', it would be kind and thoughtful to arrange to get together for a celebration of the holiday the day before or after Christmas. As someone who could very easily have spent a lot of Christmases etc alone, were it not for the kindness of friends and distant family, I know how much someone reaching out is appreciated, especially at this time of year.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Maybe he moved away from his family for a reason.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Well, on the one hand I think .. dude, the guy moved to Michigan to be with you! Take him to meet your family! The other part of me says .. he knew what he was getting into when he moved to Michigan after only being with you for a month. But then again, I am assuming he moved to Michigan to be with you.

I would say if you aren't comfortable bringing him home to meet the family, plan something with him for later in the day. He may not feel comfortable going to meet your family either.

I don't think he moved there to be with her. I think they met after he moved to MI.

Actually, I think this is the answer... IF he moved to be with you, then you should invite him. If you just met him after he moved, then I would find another day or time to make it your Christmas together.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think a month in is way too soon to bring him to a family Christmas event.

I concur with the others above who think that he'll be just fine on his own on Christmas day.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So Single Peeps, I have a question. I have recently started dating this man whom I've fallen pretty hard for and he has fallen pretty hard for me. He has just recently moved up to Michigan from SC. All his family and friends are in SC. He had originally planned on going down to visit his family for Christmas, however due to his work schedule and new job, etc...he cannot. He has told me that he plans on just sitting home on Christmas. I will be heading out to my familys for a day of fun and festivity. I can't imagine him sitting alone on Christmas. However herein lies the problem. I'm a single mom. By Christmas we will have only been together a month. I'm not really ready to have him meet my daughter yet. I'm not really sure what to do and it's breaking my heart to imagine the man I truly care about sitting home all alone on Christmas. Any advice?

If you are wanting to do something with him on Christmas simply because you want to, then that is on you. Timelines are more or less arbitrary.

If however you simply "feel pity" for him, and you are doing it "as a favor", then don't.

More than likely he won't be torn up about it, he is a big boy.

Or as others suggested, plan something before or after Christmas, as you and his "Christmas".
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i didn't read the entire thread, but here is my OWN situation.
    i will more than likely be totally alone this year for Christmas.
    my kids will be with their dad. my mom will be in jersey. my dad is in FL.
    i have friends here, as i've lived here almost 7 years, but unless someone offers an invite i'll be alone.
    and i a totally ok with that!!!

in the past three years i've gotten over the commercial version of Christmas. 2 years ago my kids and i celebrated Three Kings Day instead of Christmas. i'll go find something to do or i'll stay home and watch movies.

whatever i decide i am ok with it.

have you asked him how he felt about being alone for the holiday? if he's bothering him and he wants to celebrate with someone, then do it before hand, or the day after.
  • Katefab26
    Options
    I'm sure he'll be ok by himself on the actual day as long as you make plans with him either quite soon before or after.

It could be worse, though. My brother is going to be stuck on a submarine for Christmas. Talk about limiting one's options :sad:

Idk, it's all up to you. I've spent Christmas alone before. It was kind of relaxing, actually.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i didn't read the entire thread, but here is my OWN situation.
    i will more than likely be totally alone this year for Christmas.
    my kids will be with their dad. my mom will be in jersey. my dad is in FL.
    i have friends here, as i've lived here almost 7 years, but unless someone offers an invite i'll be alone.
    and i a totally ok with that!!!

in the past three years i've gotten over the commercial version of Christmas. 2 years ago my kids and i celebrated Three Kings Day instead of Christmas. i'll go find something to do or i'll stay home and watch movies.

whatever i decide i am ok with it.

I am in the same boat. I am a guy who will be alone on Christmas. My family isn't very close and we have never done much together for holidays. I have just gotten used to it, and on occasion had a friend invite me over...though would never invite myself.

This year will be no different, so decided I am going on a week long roadtrip over my time off. So won't be around anyone I know for Christmas and New Years. No big loss as it would have been that way sitting at home too.
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Are you driving a long distance to be with family? Could you two possibly catch a late movie after you are finished with your family time?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, that's pretty short term to immerse him that deeply into your family functions. It is a really nice gesture, and maybe you can find a way to divide your time to take care of family as well as make him feel special on a lonely holiday, I just wouldn't risk the relationship and mix the two.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, that's pretty short term to immerse him that deeply into your family functions. It is a really nice gesture, and maybe you can find a way to divide your time to take care of family as well as make him feel special on a lonely holiday, I just wouldn't risk the relationship and mix the two.

^^^^ This.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well, in most of (Catholic?) Europe, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th of December. Why can't you have Christmas one day sooner or one day later for him? I suppose one day later will make it easier to arrange a babysitter. Leave your child with the parents, etc.

Tell him the 26th will be the 25th, and invite him over for a nice dinner, exchange presents, etc., etc. You can buy a DVD of the Grinch and drink eggnog, etc.

--P

^This^

I would not try introducing him to your daughter as a 'friend', do not confuse the situation. after all, it has only been a month. and if it is going to last, you have plenty of time to meet kids and family in the future.