Newbie Introduction - Hello!

Options
Hi, I'm new. I thought I'd just introduce myself and tell you a bit about me :-) This is going to be quite long so I apologise!!

I'm a competitive runner. I run cross country, 10ks, half marathons and anything that is a challenge. The last year I was out of serious action with a bad foot injury and gained about 13 lbs (very depressing).
I went from 117 to 130 ( I was stupidly restricting calories to <1000 while I was injured in an attempt to limit weight gain, stupid stupid)
I returned to running in august I joined MFP in an attempt to get back to my ideal racing weight. I went on the typical 1200 a day intake. The first few weeks I followed this I lost about 5 lbs, but since then (august) I have lost NOTHING.
A few things you should know is that I run around 50 miles a week, average about 7-8 miles a day, with one track/interval session and one hill/strength building running session a week. I don't eat sweets/chips/soda/ 0 junk food. I track everything, so all the common arguments ( you're underestimating intake, not exercising enough) has completely stumped me. When I first started running, I lost about 15 lbs just under eating and running 10 + miles a day, this no longer works. It is like my metabolism is non-responsive to a deficit, whether created by eating less or exercising more.
So here I am, I have reached the point where I recognise that eating this little and running this much is just not sustainable. I am a pretty good runner( I win races sometimes), and I feel like I'm limiting my potential by limiting my food. I guess I was in a denial for a long time, plus I run with men, and they just tell me calories in= calories out, which in my case is part of the problem.

I guess I just want some reassurance? I've been trying to up calories, but I struggle to get to 1500.... there's the extra calorie bloat, and the increasing number on the scale coupled with my fear of weight gain and never being lean and all that which is very hard to deal with. Apparently my maintenance is about 2400 calories, but I have been maintaining/gaining on 1200!!
Any other runners who have been in the same boat and have had success, I would LOVE to hear from you!
Thanks for reading and setting up this lifeline!!

Height: 5'4
Weight: 130lbs (not heavy for some, but I have a small frame, and I want to be a lean runner!!)
Female

Replies

• floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm somewhat of a newbie myself (only been following for a month). But I am starting to lose (wasn't restricting for too long). The site that I found my goal on is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I have my calories set at 2277 and am still losing (5'6" 218 lbs 3-5 hours of strength training per week).

From your totals (and a guesstimate of age of 25 since I have no idea), it came up with a total of 2124 calories for a 20% reduction in calories. I know it seems like a lot, but plug in your numbers and your true activity level and it will give you a good estimate of what level you should be eating at. Also, monitor your nutrients to make sure you are getting enough protein and fats each day since that is what is usually restricted by a low calorie diet. There are some awesome youtube videos pinned in the group as well that may help you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579855--new-vids-for-em2wl-faqs

I figure I am in this for the long haul, so I need to do it right!

:)
  • mazbomb
    Options
    Hi! thanks so much for the input, it's so great to get feedback and encouragement, unfortunately most of the runners I spend time with all eat like horses and never put on any weight, some of them run less than me(which is part of why I feel so frustrated most of the time). I am 20, I can't believe I forgot to mention that haha.... as it's kind of important!
    All the best, keep me posted on your progress, I really hope things change for both of us! It's amazing how long we can fool ourselves into thinking the deficit will eventually work, even though we don't lose and sometimes gain. We keep at it even though we're miserable and frustrated, and in my case VERY sleepy all the time!
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's crazy how we talk ourselves into the low low calories! Glad you are here and on this journey with us! Feel free to add me as a friend! :-)
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Welcome! You are making a wise choice in eating habits.
  • annietntgetfit
    Options
    Hi! Also newish here but just want to give encouragement. Your body has probably been under a ton of stress from what you've put it through, so this may be tough physically and psychologically as you begin to heal. Have you considered scaling back the running while you make this transition and start lifting weights? As a chronic cardio person (though just hobby-level, nothing like you!) starting a moderate lifting program and focusing on speed instead of distance has been really helpful while upping my calories. Regardless of what you do, try to think of this next step as a temporary period of discomfort that will lead to long-term, sustainable health. Your speed will almost definitely increase too!!!

For what it's worth, I've been eating around 2000 cal/day for the last couple of weeks (5'2") and have maintained my weight. And life is 100% more fun:). Good luck!!
  • mazbomb
    Options
    Thanks! I'm finding it VERY tough, I keep feeling guilty about all the calories :-( I'm hoping I won't gain too much because it does hurt my training(so does low calories, I know!) I'm only on 1000 right now and I don't feel hungry at all, I did a half marathon today....
    I have been trying to scale back my mileage and do more core strength and cycling just for variation, but I don't enjoy it as much as running. I did do some weight lifting when I was first injured, I actually built a little muscle quite quickly.... But gym membership was too much to afford so I had to cancel. I do own a kettlebell, about 8kg, which I use for curls and squats, but I don't do it often enough to make a difference.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Did you read this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815936-for-anyone-questioning-why-they-are-doing-this

Most of us are in the same boat - our bodies have adapted to the stress we've put on them and refuse to lose another ounce. Wise bodies, stupid us for doing this to ourselves! At your age and activity level you should be eating whatever you want without a second thought.

Do a reset for 8-12 weeks, gain be da*ned, and get yourself back on track. And don't waste another second feeling guilty about eating food that your body needs to recover and thrive.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Welcome!
    Did you read this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815936-for-anyone-questioning-why-they-are-doing-this

Most of us are in the same boat - our bodies have adapted to the stress we've put on them and refuse to lose another ounce. Wise bodies, stupid us for doing this to ourselves! At your age and activity level you should be eating whatever you want without a second thought.

Do a reset for 8-12 weeks, gain be da*ned, and get yourself back on track. And don't waste another second feeling guilty about eating food that your body needs to recover and thrive.

This ^^^^
  • mazbomb
    Options
    Thank you!
    @amanda_gent, basically all those reasons were what initially brought me here! I wondered how long I'd have remain at 1200 for to actually work. At the moment I'm working on adding 100 cals a week to try and make it gradual.
    As for quality of calories, I try to keep my carbs at the 100-150g mark as I've found it means I bloat less. I'm also quite sensitive to insulin so it HAS to be unrefined, whole carb sources otherwise I'm hungry again in an hour. My carbs of choice are whole grain oats, beans, lentils, any vegetable and bananas. Oh, and on occasion all bran flakes. Protein wise, I find it harder to get in, my family aren't big meat eaters so I have been relying on tinned tuna/salmon and whey protein shakes or powder added to my oats. Good quality whey is expensive, so is fish and other meat so I find that bit hard since I'm a student and my family are not too keen on me helping myself to the meat supply... Fats... I mostly get my fat from peanut butter, which I add to my protein oatmeal. Maybe from bananas sometimes? And salmon? I don't go out of my way to accommodate fat since it's pretty much in everything already.
    I've also watched the film Forks over Knives, which has meant I've been leaning toward being more plant-based, because of the health benefits, but it's hard to increase calorie consumption when all the foods are so low in calories..
    I've been a lurker for awhile, so I've read a lot of the stickies and forum topics, but keep the info coming because it reminds me why I'm here!! Also, it keeps me accountable! :-)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already offered you such great advice and links to great things right here in the group to read (and re-read!!).

I just wanted to welcome you, and say HI. I'm new as well - been attempting this new way of thinking, and eating and ultimately fuelling my body for less than a week. Take it slowly if you worry about the calories - try upping it by 200 cals a day - that's as easy as an 8ox glass pr part skim milk, and a tablespoon of PB with an apple!

Feel free to add me to your friend list if you like!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome...someone mentioned a reset and YES, DO IT. Runners especially need fuel and your carb ratio should probably more like 50% because you really need tons of it to fuel those long workouts.

Put the scale away, read all the articles...visit us on www.eatmore2weighless.com because there is LOADS of info out there and enjoy the energy you will soon feel:-)

Lucia
  • tbellamy1
    Options
    Hi!!!! I agree with everyone that says do a reset. Your body will ove you for it. You have tons of support here and read, read, read there is so much to learn. Good luck!!!