pouch test

Options
I asked this on my page, but I wanna ask you guys too. Have you heard of the 5 day pouch test? And has anyone tried it or know more about what it is? I am stalled out, but at the same time, I am so hungry I feel like I am eating way more than normal. wondering if i have ruined my pouch by stretching it out. any ideas? :frown:

Replies

• gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bump as I want to know too. I have heard of it and have googled it too. But don't know if it works or is something that we should do...
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I asked this on my page, but I wanna ask you guys too. Have you heard of the 5 day pouch test? And has anyone tried it or know more about what it is? I am stalled out, but at the same time, I am so hungry I feel like I am eating way more than normal. wondering if i have ruined my pouch by stretching it out. any ideas? :frown:

My surgeon's pouch test is a one meal test to determine whether your pouch is stretched. If it is, then you go back to liquids like those you did in the first stage after surgery. The test is easy: Measure 8 oz. of meat--chicken, pork, beef (not fish, as it is too soft.)
    Eating slowly, dime sized bites, see how much of the meat you can eat in a thirty minute period. (A timer is helpful.) Stop when you get your "full sign." Measure how much food is left and subtract that amount from the original 8 oz. Say you ate 4.5 oz. in 22 minutes, you would know that your pouch size is 3.5 oz. Usually my surgeon has me do a test meal before every office visit.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

My surgeon's pouch test is a one meal test to determine whether your pouch is stretched. If it is, then you go back to liquids like those you did in the first stage after surgery. The test is easy: Measure 8 oz. of meat--chicken, pork, beef (not fish, as it is too soft.)
    Eating slowly, dime sized bites, see how much of the meat you can eat in a thirty minute period. (A timer is helpful.) Stop when you get your "full sign." Measure how much food is left and subtract that amount from the original 8 oz. Say you ate 4.5 oz. in 22 minutes, you would know that your pouch size is 3.5 oz. Usually my surgeon has me do a test meal before every office visit.

Correction: If you eat 4.5 oz. and when you measure, you will have 3.5 ounces of meat left. Your pouch size will be 4.5 oz. Sorry. Am in the middle of something else....
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Most people I know use it to get carbs out of their system to sort of reset their cravings. Do you eat too many carbs? If not, I would just stick to your plan and ride out the stall. Are you taking your measurements? You may still be losing inches. Increase your water and exercise. That may help.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, if you are tracking all of your eating, I think you are eating too few calories. By 2 years out you should at least be eating 1200 calories a day. You are risking permanently screwing up your metabolism which will make long-term maintenance impossible.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, if you are tracking all of your eating, I think you are eating too few calories. By 2 years out you should at least be eating 1200 calories a day. You are risking permanently screwing up your metabolism which will make long-term maintenance impossible.

And your protein seems really low most days as well. If you really can't eat more, you should add a protein shake or bar to increase your protein.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I find that if I increase my calories too much I don't lose at all. It seems that when I keep it right around 900-1000, I can take pounds off a lot easier?
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Very informative and thanks!
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Most people I know use it to get carbs out of their system to sort of reset their cravings. Do you eat too many carbs? If not, I would just stick to your plan and ride out the stall. Are you taking your measurements? You may still be losing inches. Increase your water and exercise. That may help.

I was going to ask you how many carbs you eat in a day. I try to keep mine under 50.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i am more of a calorie counter, and i try to watch my sugars. i drink water, reduced sugar or diabetic geared juices, and no soda. i really cant tolerate bread well so i try to steer clear of that. But I do attempt pasta on occasion. I am a work in progress....still....
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    We're all works in progress Jamielynn!! So welcome to the club :laugh:
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The 5 day pouch test is this:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options