newly committed and questions......

Options
dyannajoy
dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
I have finally decided I am going to do Paleo/primal for at least 90 days. It is time to commit. I am 63, have about 50 lbs to lose, need energy and stamina, and want to be HEALTHY! I am tired of struggling and I am just going to DO IT!
HOWEVER, I am only on day three and I am so tired and my tummy hurts. I am eating lots of fat, protein and veggies. A little cream and cheese...but otherwise no dairy. Is it just this way for the first days or is paleo not right for my body? Any suggestions on how to get through this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
p.s. I will open up my diary so you can take a look and advise me if you wish. thanks!

Replies

• dyannajoy
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I may not be able to eat eggs. I just had 2 for breakfast and my tummy started hurting :( Any other suggestions for breakfast?
  • emily2tx
    Options
    I would add in some fruits and maybe not so much green veggies right off the bat. Broccoli and asparagus can do a number on you if you aren't careful. Bananas, apples, and don't worry too much about the sugar. These are not processed sugars. Also, did you start this cold turkey or ease in? If you started cold turkey, you may have some tummy aches or decrease in energy (said my doctor) until your body gets used to the new foods. You will start to feel better. I certainly do!
    Other breakfast foods - nitrate-free bacon/sausage, egg whites(?), fruit/protein smoothie, paleo banana bread/muffins
  • notsodesperatehousewife
    Options
    My husband and I started eating paleo a few weeks ago and the first three days we had to keep calling each other for support because our bellies hurt, we were tired, and I got sooo grumpy. Then all of the sudden on the 3rd afternoon he called me and asked how I was doing and I had a little "wow" moment and told him I felt Awesome. He said he did too and we have stuck to it since. I have lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks and he's lost 10. We both have so much energy and just feel better than we have in a long time.

Just stick with it and it'll get better. It's just your body getting used to not being full of junk! :happy:
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The first few days is hard. I know for me I had crazy body aches and headaches, but after a couple days it subsided. You can alwaystry some starchier veggies like sweet potatoes or maybe a banana to kind of ease yourself into eating this way.

You may also get over the egg thing after a few days also. I know in the beginning I had some eggs and my tummy was not happy! After about a week I tried again and have been fine. You don't have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast either. I love having leftovers, I've even eaten fish or salads at breakfast.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I get ground chicken or turkey from the butcher and season it myself to make sausage. As for feeling like crap, yes you will. I can only liken it to quitting smoking. You feel like poop until the physical addiction from sugar leave you!! After the first week, it gets much better, hang in there you will feel fabulous soon!
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 12 now. Day 4 was my worst day...

Now I feel I'm enjoying the diet - and that's even with me being the only one in the house doing it - and with me still baking bread and cooking those grains for the rest of the family.

Of course my family will tell you that I always did have strange tastes. For me the thing I've found hardest to walk past is the breakfast cereal that the family leave out and about! So if I see it out, it gets pushed in the cupboard mighty quick!

Just wondering how I'll cope with the festive season now. I may relax my rules for the "big day" itself, but I don't anticipate any other concessions.

:drinker: Here's to all other newbies like me! :glasses:
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    For me, the first 7-10 days were rough. I was so tired, had terrible headaches, and my stomach had a difficult time adjusting to the lack of carbs and addition of more proteins/fats. I know it's rough now, but it gets better. In a week or so, you'll feel like a million bucks!
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    Thank you ALL!! you give me hope! I will trust what you say and keep on keeping on:love:
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had no real issue transitioning to Paleo. My wife went through a bit of a funk for a week or two. I've heard of people feeling like crap for up to three weeks, but that's rare and is largely dependent on how metabolically deranges a person is from the start.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Google "Whole 30 Timeline." The Whole 30 website is for people dedicated to going strict Paleo for 30 days, but this timeline will tell you how you can expect to feel each day after making the grainfree, sugarfree lifestyle change. It kind of gave me hope that I would indeed feel better soon, and I did!!
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement and sharing! I so appreciate it!! AND this morning (day 4) I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed and feeling GREAT all day..........YAY!!!! I can and will do this!