Calories

Options
How many calories are you consuming?

I was doing Cambridge diet on approx 650 calories a day, I have given that up and switched to low carb. I was already in ketosis from Cambridge and found it hard to keep on top of my calories.

Replies

• kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago and lost about 50lbs. I paid no attention to calories and only counted carbs. This time I only have 20lbs to lose and I plan on monitoring my calories as well. I'm curious if anyone else tracks calories as well.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Woah only 650 calories...I have my NET set to my approx BMR (1500 cals) and just try to stay in deficit of my TDEE......I track calories and carbs...I also ensure I get at least 100g (preferably 1g of protein / kg of lean muscle mass) of protein daily. I also do plenty of leafy greens and other low carb veggies (celery, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, cabbage)....

Oh and PLENTY of water!!!
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you managed on that diet. I think I would go crazy! (I had to look it up to even see what it was.)

When first starting a low-carb diet, many people go through "carb-flu" or carb withdrawel. To help get through this period it usually helps to just focus on the carbs and then start tweaking the types of carbs, protein, and calories until you find what works for you. Since you've already been in ketosis, you may be able to completely bypass that initial learning stage. The closer you are to your goal, the more important it is to monitor your calories.

I track my calories based on a deficit from my TDEE. A fairly decent way to calculate that is through fat2fit. For me this is 1450, but since I'm a girl yours will be much different.

I tend to follow a lower-carb diet of less than 75 grams of carbs. Of course I have good and bad days, but this is a diet for a life for me for health reasons. You're welcome to add me. I keep my diary open to friends.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm allowed 1800 per day, but since I've been doing low-carb, I find I'm completely stuffed and happy eating 1300 - 1700 per day. I do eat a bit more on the days I do a lot of exercise and my stomach starts growling. It all balances out at the end of the week.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Even though I am low carbimg, MFP tracks calories too so you can't help but be aware of them. I try to stay under but I don't really care if I go over as long as carbs are good. Okay, I DO care but I don't stress too much. Then there are days that my calories are low after I have eaten all day and I'm not hungry. Then I worry a little that I'm not eating enough. Sometimes I think trying to control both carbs and calories is just creating more stress! :indifferent: :noway:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I managed to put on weight on less than 50g carb a day towards the end of my 6 months of low carbing, I guess I was pushing the calorie boundary a bit, it wasn't much over though as I was still tracking.

I am a fan of just eating if you are hungry (and eating whole, nutrient dense foods to keep you full) and not going crazy if that happens to be not many calories for a couple of days (Starvation mode? Pah, only if you keep it up for weeks).

But 650 a day for any length of time? Sorry, I can't see that being in any way beneficial in the long term. We need to be nourished daily, we need to be adequately fuelled whether we want to lose weight or not. Food is not the enemy.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to at least 1500, but I struggle sometimes to pass 1200. Eating low-carb is also low calorie, so it can be hard. I figure with eating at or around 1500, if I screw up on carbs, I can still lose by creating a deficit. Not sure if it works or not, but I have been losing about 2 lbs a week or so for the last 2 months. Something's working :)
  • SKArunner
    SKArunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am running a lot these days . . . And I am still trying to loose weight my daily limit is 2100, but I generally stay under 1900. I was still loosing about 1.5 pounds.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my calories but I keep under 2500 but over 1800. No sweat going up to 3500 on the odd day that I actually really want wings. - tip, order the wings plain and get the sauce/ranch on the side. They hide sugar in the sauces!

You may or may not have to count on top of it all, but most likely will :)