Daily (I hope) motivation

Options
gerripho
gerripho Posts: 479 Member
Where I live in a northern clime, the sun won't be up for nearly another hour. But I can tell already that today is going to be absolutely beautiful. Even if we're under gray clouds, gray and shades of gray can be stunningly beautiful.

For those of you who need cuddles, give yourself as big a self-hug as you can and make sure you smile! Don't think of the Nike ad, "Just do it!" so much as you think of the L'Oreal ad, "I'm worth it!"

For those of you who need rah-rah-sis-kum-bah, hey, you're here, you're succeding even if in a small way taking baby steps toward the new and improved you, and you get a half a hug. Half a hug is where you take one arm, wrap it around yourself and then go pat-pat-pat on your back.

For those of you who need a kick in the pants, get off your butt and at least TRY to kick yourself. Make that your morning exercise but you get absolutely no credit for calories burned on this one. It isn't meant to burn calories and the kicking isn't as important as the getting off your butt! Once you're up, do something! Stay standing while you plan your meals, make your bed, anything! Just stay upright and do something! Set a new pattern for your day.

For all of you, remember how excited and committed you were to start MFP. Well, today is another day of starting over. We all say, "One day at a time," so make this day number one of that. Every day will be day number one. Get it?

(If you like this post, please let me know. If I get positive feedback, I'll try to post daily with fresh inspiration to get your days off to good starts. It would be terrific if others in the group would add similar motivational posts. Let's make this group the go to place for those of us who need outside help with motivation.)

Replies

• Nmthor
    Nmthor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gerri!
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gerri. If we get up off our butts to do anything you will be burning more calories. I keep my exercise ball in the living room with the tv. I sit on that and do exercises while watching tv. Or sometimes I just sit on it for the heck of of. You have to engage you core to keep it balanced. Every little bit helps.
  • Midnigh
    Midnigh Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gerri. If we get up off our butts to do anything you will be burning more calories. I keep my exercise ball in the living room with the tv. I sit on that and do exercises while watching tv. Or sometimes I just sit on it for the heck of of. You have to engage you core to keep it balanced. Every little bit helps.

I've often thought about the ball for a tv watching chair for "core" reasons too....butt is still on the couch! I need a better ball (one that doesn't leak air so quickly).
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That was a well needed reminder.

I had forgotten what it was like to be on program and have motivation. So much going on in life, it's hard to keep focused. That's the biggest thing I'm having a problem with right now. I do good for a few days, then fall off again. It gets harder and harder to get back on. I know all the benefits of losing weight, but doing it? Well...... It didn't seem to be this hard the last time.
  • gerripho
    Options
    Yes! Double fist pump! It’s my birthday! I’m headed out to visit my daughter, son-in-law and their two boys, (MY grandsons), ages 4 and almost 3. It’s a two hour drive through the Rockies. Not bad scenery at all.

For those of you who need cuddles, I wish I could send you all a hug for the work and sacrifice you have managed so far in your new life style. The change you’re making isn’t a walk in the park and you deserve a reward. As soon as you can, tell you dear spouse, dear child, dear significant other, or dear friend that you “want a hug.” Don’t tell them why. The hug is to be just for you and your accomplishment so far. Do this often.

For those of you who need rah-rah-sis-kum-bah, check out your accomplishments from yesterday. Did you drink an extra glass of water? That’s one accomplishment. Did you pass up the office donut tray or maybe you actually limited yourself to just half a donut? That’s an accomplishment. Now, do one double fist pump for each and every accomplishment. And, don’t stop with yesterday. Watch yourself today and do the double fist pump every time you make a good choice, record your food in your diary, or even park your car further away from the store. Pay attention and fist pump your way through the day!

For those of you who need a kick in the pants, I own cowgirl boots and I know how to use them, too. You know you deserve a swift one right in the kiester for that spoonful of food you stuffed in your face because you didn’t want it to go to waste. You didn’t record it, either, earning you a second swift one! How many times a day do you do that? It all adds up. The worst thing is behavior like that gives you “permission” to sneak a little here and a little more there. Well, just stop it already! You are trying to teach yourself to eat better, not to eat better and sneak food on the side. It isn’t cheating, it’s sneaking. That last spoonful is either going to end up in the landfill after you put it in the trash, or it will end up in the sewer treatment plant or your septic tank if you put it in your face. What’s the diff? It’s eventually waste, so send it on its way. Better yet, if possible, put it in a compost pile.

Hugs! Fist pumps! And I hope no need for kiester kicking!
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My NSV is my doctor took me off all my medications and I am getting reduced rates on my life insurance. I feel awesome and my ankles have gone down big time on the swelling. When I look at my wedding pictures from 3 years ago I cant believe I was that heavy and unhealthy. I can climb stairs and not get winded do the ellipitical for 30 minutes and not die. My hubby even bought me one and I love it. Its hard to get started on this journey and its a never ending journey that is well worth it but once your body gets in the habit its a drug so to speak:smile:
  • Nmthor
    Nmthor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You're right, shoppingdiva, we're not on MFP only to lose weight. When the weight is off (and it will, with your dedication), we should continue with this so we don't gain it all back again. This is our LAST weight loss diet!!! :laugh:
  • gerripho
    Options
    Good morning to each and every one,

I was reminded of something yesterday that got me to thinking about this little daily motivation thing I'm trying to get going. It really is true that the best ever way to help someone learn something is to have them try to teach it. Get a child to make up quizzes for you on multiplication tables and they will learn them faster and easier!

For all you needing cuddles, or needing rah-rah-sis-kum-bahs, or needing the swift kick in the pants, it's your turn to write just one special cuddle, cheer, or swift kick. Nothing fancy required. Just one encouraging or motivating thought for the rest of us.

Make today the very best you can and tomorrow will take care of itself!

Gerri
  • knight76306
    Options
    Good Morning! This got me to thinking last night. I know all the stuff I need to know to lose weight and keep it off, but actually doing it is another thing. I didn't put this on overnight and it isn't coming off overnight, no matter how much I'd wish it would. Which lead me to this quote a co-worker told me one time when was covered up with work -

You can eat an elephant one bite at a time. I need to apply this to my weight loss/get healthier journey - I can do this one bite, one step, one day at time. It will take time (and I know that), I just need to remember that and not get discouraged. Apply what I know!
  • gerripho
    Options
    Good Morning! This got me to thinking last night. I know all the stuff I need to know to lose weight and keep it off, but actually doing it is another thing. I didn't put this on overnight and it isn't coming off overnight, no matter how much I'd wish it would.

That reminded me of a sign posted at the entrance of my gym:

DON'T WISH FOR IT -- WORK FOR IT!

To cuddlers, look outside and whatever your weather (unless it's like a hurricane or something worse) absorb that sky, the sun or clouds, whatever it is. Really look at it. That is all of nature and its beauty and majesty is all yours. Keep looking until you can say to yourself, "That really is beautiful!" and smile, knowing it is all for you. Think how it goes from sun to rain, from season to season, and it all balances out. If nature can do that, so can you. You can go from really good days to days that aren't so good and it will all balance out. Just keep going!

To rah-rah people, good for you and all you have accomplished so far. Logging, increasing exercise, working toward your fitness goal. Remember the first person to notice your accomplishment. Remember the first time your favorite jeans or pants didn't feel quite so tight. Felt good, didn't it? Well, go get some more feel good moments. You can do this. And if you're new on your journey, you maybe don't really know how it will feel. Trust the rest of us -- it will put a smile on your face that you can't erase away. Go get 'em!

Kickers, whatever bad choices you've made in the past few days were just that, bad choices. Get it completely out of your head that your bad choices somehow make you bad. No! You are NOT bad! You're here, aren't you? You're putting in the effort to log in and you're spending the time to read this and other posts, aren't you? Quit being so hard on yourself. You made some bad choices and that was probably from habit. Habits can be broken. You know that is true so start today breaking just one bad habit. Pick a little one and change just that. You can do this! Others have done this. What makes you think you're so special that you're not capable of making the changes you know need to be made? You're special, but not THAT special!

To all, have a terrific day and my best to each and every one of you!

Gerri
  • Midnigh
    Options
    "No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you are still way ahead of everyone else that isn't trying." Unknown author.

I like this quote because it's important for me to remember that even when I screw up, I'm still personally doing better because I've stuck to my plan before my screw up and I'll get back on my plan after my screw up. Without a plan: it's all "screw up" for me as I feel my clothes closing in on me and see my scale # going higher.

Ok, that's my motivational quote for the day.
  • gerripho
    Options
    Something a little bit different today. Perhaps some of the best books ever on decluttering your life were written by Don Aslett. And of those best ever books, his best ever was "Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to De-junk Your Life". (I know book titles are supposed to be underlined but this MFP message service doesn't have that option.)

I first read some of the Aslett books years ago and remember one of his theories: If your home is cluttered most likely you wear it around all the time, even when you are not at home. You carry clutter in your purse or pockets, you have it in your car, and you pack it on your body in the form of fat. Your clutter means you are often late because you just can't seem to have anything organized, including your schedule.

Now, I'm curious to know if the Aslett theory works the other way around, too. If he is correct that our messy homes show up on our bodies, would our cleaner homes help us clean up our bodies?

Besides being here at MFP to get my body/health in order, I'm also attempting to get my home in order. In the process of doing a little bit at a time on the home front, I'm finding the cleaner my kitchen is, the easier it is to stick to my food plan. While straightening out my freezer two days ago, I tossed the freezer burned hamburger buns with a 2008 expiration date (!) and found some shrimp, fish, broccoli, and blueberries I didn't know I had. And having a clean kitchen means it's more fun to cook!

If you would like to test this out, next time you catch yourself in the kitchen looking for something to snack on, grab a paper towel or sponge and clean up some spills from your refrigerator, or polish up a counter top. Put the clean dishes from the dishwasher in the cupboards and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Worst job of all, wash your garbage container, inside and out! For a really rewarding task, polish up the fronts of your major appliances. Spend 5 or 10 minutes at the task and then decide if you still need that snack.

If you need cuddles, let your new, cleaner area give you a hug. If your a rah-rah person, your new clean spot should be excuse enough for a fist pump. If you need a swift kick, stop living like a pig on your outside as well as your inside!
  • knight76306
    Options
    Well said and so true.
  • gerripho
    Options
    It's the week-end! For a lot of people it means two days off. Not so for hospital workers, police, firefighters, restaurant and grocery store people. And not so for our bodies! Your metabolism, your digestive track, your muscles -- none of that knows Saturday from Tuesday.

Yet some of us use the week-end days as an excuse to lighten-up a bit. It's all too tempting to sleep in instead of getting up for an early morning workout at the gym. Or we have the days off and think we can grab a fast food meal -- after all, it's our day off and we should be able to relax rather than cook. Excuses, excuses, excuses! Every such excuse is pretty lame when you think of it. Your days off are the exact days when you have the extra time to get to the gym or to do some extra cooking not just for these two days, but also for preparing good foods to use throughout the coming week when things are more hectic.

If you need cuddles, try working on a bit more exercise and a bit more food prep this weekend and then sit back and admire your work. Those refrigerator containers you've prepared for this coming week sure look nice in the fridge and are an investment in a less stressful week ahead. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Since your arm is patting yourself on the back, it's in perfect position to give yourself a hug.

If you need rah-rahs, remember to fist-pump your way through your days off. A double fist pump for the extra exercise, maybe just a single fist pump for each food prep. Then clean up the mess you made in the kitchen and do another fist pump for completing the job.

If you need a swift kick, just get up and do SOMETHING! You'll feel better, no matter what it is you accomplish! Trust me. The alternative is to feel like crap this evening for having done nothing. You know this better than anyone! Do it!

Whether working of relaxing, have yourselves a terrific weekend!
  • gerripho
    Options
    Good morning all,

I've decided to take this day off from writing a post. Instead, I have a question: Does anyone read this thread? I love posting here and it helps me to keep up my own motivation. The lack of responses makes me wonder if it is of help to any of you. Let me know if you would like me to continue.

Have a terrific day!
    Gerri
  • freasabreze
    Options
    I read you every day Gerri.

You have inspired me. Keep it coming
  • Midnigh
    Options
    It's the week-end! For a lot of people it means two days off. Not so for hospital workers, police, firefighters, restaurant and grocery store people. And not so for our bodies! Your metabolism, your digestive track, your muscles -- none of that knows Saturday from Tuesday.

Yet some of us use the week-end days as an excuse to lighten-up a bit. It's all too tempting to sleep in instead of getting up for an early morning workout at the gym. Or we have the days off and think we can grab a fast food meal -- after all, it's our day off and we should be able to relax rather than cook. Excuses, excuses, excuses! Every such excuse is pretty lame when you think of it. Your days off are the exact days when you have the extra time to get to the gym or to do some extra cooking not just for these two days, but also for preparing good foods to use throughout the coming week when things are more hectic.

If you need cuddles, try working on a bit more exercise and a bit more food prep this weekend and then sit back and admire your work. Those refrigerator containers you've prepared for this coming week sure look nice in the fridge and are an investment in a less stressful week ahead. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Since your arm is patting yourself on the back, it's in perfect position to give yourself a hug.

If you need rah-rahs, remember to fist-pump your way through your days off. A double fist pump for the extra exercise, maybe just a single fist pump for each food prep. Then clean up the mess you made in the kitchen and do another fist pump for completing the job.

If you need a swift kick, just get up and do SOMETHING! You'll feel better, no matter what it is you accomplish! Trust me. The alternative is to feel like crap this evening for having done nothing. You know this better than anyone! Do it!

Whether working of relaxing, have yourselves a terrific weekend!

I've been on MFP for quite awhile but just joined a few groups in October and have started posting to my diary fairly regularly. I'm doing pretty well during the week and I've found a suitable combination of foods that provide low cal/low carb/low fat sustenance however, I'm not doing well on weekends. Since I've been posting I see a pattern that is contrary to my goals...so YOU ARE RIGHT, NO EXCUSES. I've used DATE NIGHT as my excuse but just told my husband (who has a similar weight loss goal) that we've got to plan treats that fit into our goals a little better. He agrees.
  • gerripho
    Options
    I've been on MFP for quite awhile but just joined a few groups in October and have started posting to my diary fairly regularly. I'm doing pretty well during the week and I've found a suitable combination of foods that provide low cal/low carb/low fat sustenance however, I'm not doing well on weekends. Since I've been posting I see a pattern that is contrary to my goals...so YOU ARE RIGHT, NO EXCUSES. I've used DATE NIGHT as my excuse but just told my husband (who has a similar weight loss goal) that we've got to plan treats that fit into our goals a little better. He agrees.

Think popcorn without the butter. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese instead. Special-K makes some pretty good lo-cal baked chips. I love the sour cream and chives flavor. Naturally it isn't without some chemicals, but for an occassional snack you may not mind so much. I hope others will chip in with their suggestions, too.

Mostly I love that you and dear hubby have a date night. We take care of our bodies and our homes. Taking care of our most important relationships is important, too.
  • gerripho
    Options
    And a good Monday morning to everyone! May this day find you on top of your world!

Have you done something lately to renew your spirit? Something that brought you a bit of quiet joy? Something as simple as lighting a few candles, getting into your jammies and slippers, turning off the TV, or anything else that makes noise, and just sitting quietly with a cuppa coffee or tea?

There is a scene A Christmas Story where the mom and dad are sitting quietly on the sofa just watching the snow fall. That’s the kind of quiet joy we all need as a balance to our otherwise hectic lives.

If you need cuddles, look for opportunities to make for yourself some quiet moments. Concentrate your mind on just absorbing the quiet and warmth of the moment. Fix the feeling well within you and let that be your hug. Hang onto it and make it yours. When you feel good about moments like this, it’s easier to push forward toward your goals. Make these moments your regular reward for all your diligent work.

If you need rah-rahs or swift kicks, sorry, you’re not getting any today. You, too, need to make quiet moments for your selves. This isn’t meant to motivate you to further efforts. It’s just to bring you some balance and a well deserved hug. Not to worry, the cuddles people with be getting some of your medicine on another day. Gotta keep this fair!
  • freasabreze
    Options
    Have a great week everyone! Only 7 more days till Christmas. Are you ready?