Left Side Pain when moving

Options
gbtesq
gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
Hello,

I had my RYN surgery on Monday and came home on Wednesday. Everything went almost as expected except for a small bout of constipation yesterday.

Here is my problem: I have severe left side pain when moving certain ways such as rising from and/or adjusting in a chair. I still have not been able to sleep in the bed either. I can sit on the edge of the bed but when I lift one foot and/or lower my top to the bed, the pain kicks in and brings me to tears.

Does anyone else have such pain? I know that I am only 4 days out so I'm assuming that it is early post surgery pains. But, should I be concerned?

Thank you,

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of pain in my left side, especially the lower area, when I moved around or walked. It took about a month for it to completely go away. I was told that this is because "most of the work" is done in that area. Just take it easy, don't lift, and don't overdo it. If it gets bad, contact your surgeon. Hope everything else is going well for you!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had the same. Getting up from the toilet was a nightmare! I had to use painkillers to deal with it. I took one as soon as I woke so I could get up out of bed. It does get better after a couple of weeks but lessens every day. It is because they do internal stitching there often to prevent internal hernias and more problems. I kept that thought in my head and it did help me to deal with it.
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!! I notice that it is getting better daily. However, I am still scared to get into bed with all the moving my hubby does. I have been sleeping comfortably in a recliner for the few nights. Just not ready to try again yet.
  • lovarie
    lovarie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had some pain on my left side also. Mine was not severe and seemed to me to be in the area where the drain was originally positioned. It went away after a week or so. It took me about 2 weeks before I was able to sleep in a full horizontal position. Before that I just found that I was more comfortable when propped up as though in the hospital bed. This too subsided as I began to heal internally. Congratulations on your surgery! I hope you will be as pleased with your decision as I am with mine!
  • MISSCOOPER9
    Options
    Get a binder, I had / have pain on the left side ever so often. It feels like muscle pain. My doctor assured me everything is tight and won't come loose, LOL. So i wear a binder for support and when I exercise Just go to the fitness department in the W..... store, they have thigh and abdominal binders for normal people, just buy two and put them together. It work's for me.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I actually could not sleep lying in my bed for almost 3 weeks...I slept in my recliner. The binder does help. My doc said it was likely from the internal sutures pulling tight when I would move that was causing the pain. They told me that those sutures would dissolve on their own after a few weeks and the pain would go away. That is exactly what happened. One day I just woke up and the pain was gone.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I too slept on my reclining sofa for 2-3 wks before I felt comfortable enough to go in my bed. This is normal. Listen to your body and call your doc if you are overly concerned. He has a staff that can answer any of your questions or concerns.