Exercise

Options
Blossom59
Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
Ok. All of us in this group know how hard it is for us to go to the gym. Most of us have difficulty walking let alone running a marathon. I myself sit all day long behind a desk in a very confined area. I would like to know what exercises you do. I bought a recumbent bicycle but have a hard time with my knees on it. Bought a exercise ball but the clumsy person I am... Fell off of it and messed up my knees more. Tell me what you have found successful.

Replies

• SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    - Casual swimming
    - Walking (in place, around the house, or outside) **sometimes I'll just stand up for every commerical break and march in place or move side to side slowly**
    - Sitting on the couch or in a chair and lifting 2-5 pound weights while watching TV
    - Putting on music and moving to a few songs at a time
  • PeriwinklePineapple
    Options
    I forced myself to get into the gym, and found I really enjoy it for the most part. Cardio machines were tough at first. The first night i did the bike, i did about 4 minutes and was done. Then i tried the elliptical, with similar results. But I forced myself to add on a minute at a time until i could comfortable do at least 20 minutes of cardio. Maybe not a ton, but it feels effective for me, and slowly but surely it feels more comfortable. I usually do 1-2 different machines to keep from being bored. I do weights (mostly the machines) 3-4 times a week. They're pretty easy to figure out, and i have to say, i really am feeling stronger which helps out with the cardio too. After about a month of that, I signed up for a kickboxing/martial arts class, which is actually awesome. It seemed intimidating at first, and i worried i wouldnt be able to keep up, but it turns out when you push yourself, you're often a lot more capable then you'd have imagined ;-)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Ok. All of us in this group know how hard it is for us to go to the gym. Most of us have difficulty walking let alone running a marathon. I myself sit all day long behind a desk in a very confined area.

Not all of us. As for me, I too sit at a desk at work. I started back in Dec. 2009 with just walking. It was terrible. Nearly 500 lbs, 1 mile took me a little over 1 hour to complete. I walked on a track near my work place. 3 laps on this track would = out to 1 mile. I would complete 1/3 of a lap and then need to rest for 5-10 mins. I was at this for months on end. I found investing in a good pair of shoes dedicated just for walking help me tons. I did research and found with my arch type being nearly flat, motion control shoes work the best. The shoes I used are designed for running and walking. It's not cheap, 120-140$ a pair but it's worth the investment when you can move around pain free.

Over time I started going to the gym. I do weights, swim laps in the pool, Zumba, and recently been doing a RIPPED fitness class. It's really hard and challenging for me. I enjoy the gym and go about 4-5x a week.
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok. All of us in this group know how hard it is for us to go to the gym. Most of us have difficulty walking let alone running a marathon. I myself sit all day long behind a desk in a very confined area.

Not all of us. As for me, I too sit at a desk at work. I started back in Dec. 2009 with just walking. It was terrible. Nearly 500 lbs, 1 mile took me a little over 1 hour to complete. I walked on a track near my work place. 3 laps on this track would = out to 1 mile. I would complete 1/3 of a lap and then need to rest for 5-10 mins. I was at this for months on end. I found investing in a good pair of shoes dedicated just for walking help me tons. I did research and found with my arch type being nearly flat, motion control shoes work the best. The shoes I used are designed for running and walking. It's not cheap, 120-140$ a pair but it's worth the investment when you can move around pain free.

Over time I started going to the gym. I do weights, swim laps in the pool, Zumba, and recently been doing a RIPPED fitness class. It's really hard and challenging for me. I enjoy the gym and go about 4-5x a week.
    that is fantastic.... I really admire you!! Keep up the good work
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    this is what I do I ride a bike outside
    I have ridden a recumbent at the gym and it takes a lot of adjusting the positioning to get it so my knees don't get bothered on that
    I sit on my ball and lift weights while watching tv
    I do water aerobics
    I swim laps with a noodle
    I lift water weights in the pool
    I am starting on the elliptical
    And today I turned on my treadmill.

May I ask what were you doing when you fell off the ball? Because sitting on it really helps to strengthen the core but I do place mine in front of my recliner so it is more stable as I too am afraid of falling off and not being able to get up.

If your only experience with a gym has been a big national chain gym do some research in your area for recreation centers many towns and municipalities have them and they include gyms I go to one and it only cost $45 a month with no contract
  • sheilanowell
    sheilanowell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Happy to see all the tips!!

I am a member of a gym...love to swim, but have developed some sort of allergy to chemicals in pool, so I itch like a mad woman after swimming. I am considering swimming again, anyways, for the benefits of the exercise rather than the side effect of the itching.

I have horrible back pain 100% of the time when I am standing or walking, so I don't do that much. I am home on my desk chair most of the time. I even cook and do dishes on a chair. :( But I am trying to push through it and think I will try 15 minutes a day of walk away the pounds, or maybe the treadmill at the gym. Also going to start doing racquetball with my son once a week. :)