Why am I so turned off by an uneducated man?

Options
Ha ha ha... this was purely to amuse myself.

However, I do enjoy an intelligent, worldly man, but I evaluate this mostly based on grammar, wit, confidence, ability to contribute to a decent conversation and objectively contemplate the world in all its lovely shades of grey. A degree, advanced or otherwise does not guarantee any of those qualities.

Ladies..what are your dealbreakers or desires when it comes to male intelligence and how that relates to his attractiveness?

Replies

• Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    This should be interesting.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends if he's actually intelligent and worldly or just acts like it. But I think if I was pick, I'd prefer someone with average intelligence, but could make me laugh like no other.

I've never been turned off by actual intelligence, I have though been turned off by arrogantness.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If you can't answer why on your own, perhaps an uneducated man is too similar to you and it's actually a bit of self-loathing. :happy:

I had to go all pop psychology since Mike's educated woman was a psychologist in training.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you can't answer why on your own, perhaps an uneducated man is too similar to you and it's actually a bit of self-loathing. :happy:

I had to go all pop psychology since Mike's educated woman was a psychologist in training.

Clearly, I am replete with self-loathing! :tongue:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha!

I don't care about degree's and whatnot, but I am turned off by guys that aren't intelligent or are insecure. If you can't grasp logic and reason it's not going to work. I've always felt that being smart isn't about how much you know, but about how well you take in new information, grow and adapt. There are people that are "book smart" but are incapable of practical application and that's just... frustrating to deal with.

There's also the people that pretend to be more smart than they are. They're so stuck on appearances they can't ever be silly or playful and instead serious-face all the good times. I avoid them too. Booooooring!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Clearly, I am replete with self-loathing! :tongue:

Damn, I'm going to have to look up "replete." I guess you wouldn't be interested in me. :cry:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I was gonna twist this and say why am I turned on by a slightly uneducated man. (key word here slightly!!!)

I like feeling like I'm smarter. (key word there is "feeling") :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Damn, I'm going to have to look up "replete." I guess you wouldn't be interested in me. :cry:

baHAHAHA .. this made me laugh.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I need an educated man per say ... but I can't stand when a guy says things like "I seen this guy once" .... or I seen this thing the other day ..

I ain't got none .. is another one I can't stand.

Stuff like that bugs me. But if a guy doesn't have a college degree, but works hard .. that is ok with me.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I need an educated man per say ... but I can't stand when a guy says things like "I seen this guy once" .... or I seen this thing the other day ..

I ain't got none .. is another one I can't stand.

Stuff like that bugs me. But if a guy doesn't have a college degree, but works hard .. that is ok with me.

What if the two are combined into one man?? :flowerforyou:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha... this was purely to amuse myself.

However, I do enjoy an intelligent, worldly man, but I evaluate this mostly based on grammar, wit, confidence, ability to contribute to a decent conversation and objectively contemplate the world in all its lovely shades of grey. A degree, advanced or otherwise does not guarantee any of those qualities.

Ladies..what are your dealbreakers or desires when it comes to male intelligence and how that relates to his attractiveness?

Then I recommend you don't go for one. Everyone has their preferences and that's fine. We all have our *things* (God knows I have mine! :laugh: )

If you posted this in a bodybuilding.com forum or any other male-dominated forum, they'd have a few choice words for you. Not sure why some men and women get so bent out of shape when the opposite sex states their preferences.
  • Danielle_2013
    Options
    Then I recommend you don't go for one. Everyone has their preferences and that's fine. We all have our *things* (God knows I have mine! :laugh: )

If you posted this in a bodybuilding.com forum or any other male-dominated forum, they'd have a few choice words for you. Not sure why some men and women get so bent out of shape when the opposite sex states their preferences.

Damn.... if I hadn't made it a personal life goal to avoid any place or forum where men refer to each other exclusively as "brah".. I would totally post there. :tongue:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Damn.... if I hadn't made it a personal life goal to avoid any place or forum where men refer to each other exclusively as "brah".. I would totally post there. :tongue:

"smash and disregard, brah."

"I had a case of oneitis, but the sloot goofed on me and slept with some tatted manlet. wat do brah?"
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    LOL I am very turned on by intellegence. That being said intellegence has nothing to do with degrees. I like to be able to carry on conversations about everything and anything. Also helps if he is a bit nerdy :bigsmile:
  • Danielle_2013
    Options

"I had a case of oneitis, but the sloot goofed on me and slept with some tatted manlet. wat do brah?"

Is this language called "American"?
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I prefer them not so nerdy; HOWEVER, I do prefer someone who can hold an intelligent conversation. Not just xbox, movies and s*x.
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

LMAO!
  • stardustfan
    stardustfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a high school teacher, so education is rather important to me. I don't think I could date a guy who hasn't finished high school... it would just be too weird. I also don't think that I could date a guy who doesn't have some sort of post-secondary education, be it college, university, or even trade school. I'm not saying that I need a guy to have a degree or two (or three), but I need someone who enjoys learning, as ongoing learning is an important part of my life.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I'm a high school teacher, so education is rather important to me. I don't think I could date a guy who hasn't finished high school... it would just be too weird. I also don't think that I could date a guy who doesn't have some sort of post-secondary education, be it college, university, or even trade school. I'm not saying that I need a guy to have a degree or two (or three), but I need someone who enjoys learning, as ongoing learning is an important part of my life.

My husband and exbf both had GED's both were very smart intellegent adn could discuss any manner of things.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    because that is your preference.