Welcome!

Options

Replies

• blkmlk
    Options
    Hello! My name is Jojo! I've been using mfp for a few weeks but I am just now logging on my computer for the first time. I'm so glad there is a vegan group here! Ummmmm... I dont really know what to say about myself. I go to college and have been vegan for almost 2 years. Prior to that I was a vegetarian for almost 5 years. I love Ethiopian and soul food. Andddddd I just ordered veganomicon in the mail and I cant wait to cook every single dish in it! Add me! :-)
  • veganza
    veganza Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been vegan for 7 years. I love ALL THE FOOD, as it were. I've become more and more wholefoodie over the years, and tried gourmet raw and gluten-free on and off. Currently I'm trying out the 80/10/10 low-fat/high-carb raw vegan "banana wagon" and really enjoying it! My husband and two kids are vegans as well. Please add me if you want! I love seeing what other vegans are nomming.
  • moraldd
    Options
    Hi, just joined today. Wannabe vegan. I eat vegan but then I relapse. I enjoy meat but I'm also disgusted by it. Is there any help for me? My heart is vegan but my taste buds are like rebellious, disobedient children. I joined MFP because I need to lose LOTS of weight. Looking for friends and support.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm Nicole and 20 years old.
    I've been vegetarian for almost one year now and I'm heaps keen to transition to veganism. I love learning new ways to prepare and cook vegan meals and would love to share my recipes with you.
    My friends (like) the idea of vegetarianism but it seems like dropping the word "vegan" is a taboo. Haha If you mention the word "diet" or "exercise" around my family, I can guarantee a raised eyebrow. Or two.
    If you'd like someone to chat to about - nutrition, cooking, vegetables, raw juicing, balance, transitioning, weight loss - hit me up!
    See ya! :D
  • brennaja
    Options
    Hello fellow veggies/vegans!

I'm Jane, I'm 25 and I've been vegetarian for about 8 years and I've just started the transition to full veganism; I'm very excited! I hope to have completely transitioned by June (I'm taking it slow cos I don't want to shock my system, eliminating foods gradually!) I already eat 90% vegan but I'm not making good choices and my weight has been creeping up over the last few months - I'm 161lbs trying to get down to 153lbs as my first goal and I'm just calorie counting, attempting to keep around 1500 cals a day and get a bit of walking in too!
    Looking forward to being part of this group!
  • lordofallvania
    Options
    Hello my fellow friends of earth,
    MY Name Is adam,
    Vegan for two glorious months and i will never look back again!
    I know its hardly a blink in time, but for me if i could do it for this long i Know i most certainly can do it forever!
    for the love of all creatures, for the love of Earth, for the respect i have for myself,
    Lets all look out for each other!
  • OccupyHealth
    Options
    Hello Fellow Vegans!!!
    2 Months vegan and going strong!
    I was wondering if there is anyone out there with insight on certain things are not clearly not vegan.
    Like for example White Domino Sugar uses Bovine bone char to purify and bleach the sugar.
    I couldnt believe when I found that out.
    I was also curious about honey some people who are vegan use it some don't. I personally don't so sound off!!:glasses:
  • VeganKalaxy
    VeganKalaxy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Kay. I am 24 years old and have been vegetarian or vegan since I was 12. In the last year I've been eating and living a low gluten, low fat vegan very active life. I work on my feet and I am doing c210k right now and hope to run my first ten k by spring (maybe even a half marathon!). I love animals and I love life. For me being vegetarian was not enough, I had high cholesterol from eating eggs and I felt guilty when I ate. Now my meals are cruelty free and I have gone from 192lbs to 122. Still hoping to loose a few more to make me lighter on my feet!
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sarah. In August of 2010 I was a fast food eating, meat hating carnivore. I literally would get a sandwich and take out the meat, or go to the store and buy milk and eggs just to have them sit in my fridge. So when I started looking into being a vegetarian I learned about veganism and a whole new world opened up to me! I was so scared to tell my family and friends, but they all have been simply wonderful and accepting in my choice. My co-workers particularly enjoy when I make meals and bring them in to them at work!
  • MeanieD
    Options
    Hi all!

Here's the stats:
    Married: 10 years
    Vegetarian: 16 years
    Vegan: 8 years
    Straightedge: 17 years

I'm trying to transition back to being vegan full-time. I got lazy a few years ago and started eating cheese again.

Current weight: 160 lbs
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

I'm a teacher by day, roller derby queen by night. When I'm not at practice, I'm practicing yoga and swimming. I'm so happy to have found (dragged) a friend to the gym and practice as my workout buddy.

The problem is I'm a stress eater. I crave fatty foods (pizza, french fries, burritos) every day after work (tells you a lot about my work, right?). Other than quitting my job, any tips to avoid this would be appreciated. However, on a side note, I am looking to transition out of my job. ;)

Anyways, good to see other vegans on MFP. I'm so excited about the changes that are about to happen!
    ~Meanie
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    Hello MFP'ers!

Over the course of the rest of the year my family will be transitioning into a full fledged Vegan diet beginning in January 2013 and I need some advice.

What I am looking for is favorite recipes, resources and tips on how to get started on the road to full fledged Veganism. I'm in information gathering mode and the more I can learn, the better!

While my reasons behind this decision are personal, (if you'd like to discuss this more, feel free to PM me) I'd love to hear from other Vegans out there about their journey also!

Would also love to connect with some of you Vegan MFP'ers as friends so that we can share with one another and support each other in our individual fitness journies! Feel free to add me should you feel compelled to do so!

And thanks in advance for any advice, tips, recipes and resources that you might be able to refer me to!

Be well,
    Charlotte

27783872.png
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hi everyone! i'm a 25 y/o grad student who's been vegan for almost 3 years. i'd always wanted to be vegan (vegetarian since age 13) for ethical reasons, and when i started dating a vegan guy he made the transition finally happen! i'm not the healthiest vegan around, but i'm working on it.

i've pretty much achieved my goal weight - the plan for me now is to maintain and start working on my junk food problem! please add me as a friend if you have similar goals :)
  • MSSMAD
    Options
    Hello Team Vegan,

My name is Michele, I am new to the group and new to myfitnesspal.com. I'm an art education grad student and I became a vegan Janurary 1, 2012, almost 1 year! I went cold turkey (no pun intended) after watching the Forks Over Knives documentary. So glad I watched it, I have never felt better and never enjoyed food more.

MAD
  • TaylorWolframRD
    Options
    My name is Taylor and my 4 year veganversary is coming up in January.

I am a graduate student studying nutrition and I also have a BS in nutrition. Feel free to friend me and message me with any nutrition-related questions or concerns.

I was vegetarian for only 6 months before becoming vegan once I realized the evils of the dairy and egg industries. My choice to go vegan was 100% ethical, however I learned of the health and environmental implications of a vegan lifestyle early in my journey. That triad now supports my vegan lifestyle, with morality remaining at the foundation.

I am looking for more vegan friends on MFP as I had only used the mobile app until now!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Kate. I am a new vegan convert after watching Forks Over Knives. I had been flirting with vegetarianism, but still eating fish and eggs. Now, I'm full-vegan and loving it! Like many of you have stated, I have so much more energy! It's amazing the things I get done in the evenings now instead of falling asleep in front of the TV or with a book. I've got so many projects going, my husband wonders if I'm on speed! I am fully convinced this is the right way for me to eat. I've had issues with dairy products for years, and so many allergies. I think going to plant-based eating will be the best thing for my digestive and immunity systems. I'm always looking for good recipes, so please share!
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Brand-new... Vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for 3 months and counting. Welcome all new vegan friends! :)
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm a recently new face to the vegan world but have opened my arms and my heart more than I ever could before because of this life style. The look, smell of meat that I once loved makes me crinkle my nose.

Two weeks before I tied the knot to the love of my life in October 2012 we found a video online that showed us what happens not only to the animals but happens to our body because of animal protein and dairy. That's when we said enough is enough. Each day we have tried new things, at first, it was hard...of course it was hard...but as time goes on it's a regular habit of ours and I can't phantom going back to eating an animal.

We actually apologized to his cousin, vegan for 7 years now, that we didn't listen to her sooner and didn't take the blinders off our eyes sooner.

Baking is my biggest love and I have found many recipes that have made my husband a happy camper. I'm willing to get advice from veterans of the vegan lifestyle and always looking for good documentaries or books to read...if you have any, please, let me know!
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Britt. I have been vegan for four months and I am very happy with the change. I was raised vegetarian so making the transition was easy, particularly since I am allergic to milk. I am following a vegan diet for health reasons, but I am also pleased that it supports animal rights and is beneficial to the environment. I look forward to being a part of this group!
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello all you beautiful Vegans :-)

I have been a Vegan since November 2011, and it was the best decision I have ever made. I did not start slowly and I was not a vegetarian when I started, I just did it 100% and have not turned back. My reasons for becoming a Vegan started when I thought I was having a heart attack and had to go the ER.:ohwell: Talk about a wake up call, I had just become a Grandma for the first time, and the thought of not getting to see my Grandson grow up was NOT an option. I have tried every diet out there and always fell right back into my old habits, and that was because I was obsessed with food. So now I have found a healthy way of being obsessed with food..I am a VEGAN...and it works :happy: Thank God!!!! The weight is coming off slowly but at least its coming off ..so far I have lost a little over 50 lbs :bigsmile: yaaaay. Anyway, I am very excited to get to know some fellow Vegans so I am very happy I found this group.:flowerforyou:
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hi all
    Been vegan for a mere 2 days. Got onto the website not milk.com The studies mostly seem to be evidence based practise level 4 or 5 studies. It makes good sense ie the highest proportion of people with osteoporosis live in the biggest dairy consumption countries.
    Will give veganism a good crack and see where it takes me in this mental and physical journey.