Unknown

Options
Saunz5
Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
Hey all,
I didn't know where to post this in the message boards so I came to the group instead. I want to know why my stomach still sticks out when I make my posture right, and tighten my muscles. It's hard - it feels like it's muscle, but it sticks out...Why?!

I may not be explaining myself very well, so let me know if you don't understand what I'm asking... :/

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fat can sometimes be hard and mistaken for muscle. However, is it always the same and/or do you have any digestive issues?
  • Saunz5
    Options
    How do I know if it's muscle or fat?!

I have celiac disease. And some unknown issue with my stomach. Other than that, no.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How do I know if it's muscle or fat?!

I have celiac disease. And some unknown issue with my stomach. Other than that, no.

Based on your pics, I would not say it was muscle. If it was, I would expect you to have more defined abs considering how lean you are. There are a number of things that can cause a slightly protruding but hard stomach, some of which are digestive or other medical issues and one of which is visceral fat as opposed to subcutaneous fat.

However, it would be great if others could weigh in with their opinions here.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    It's not hard when I actually relax. Well this is frustrating...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It's not hard when I actually relax. Well this is frustrating...

Could you post a flexed picture of you from the front view? It may help determine if it may be muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It could be fat, it could be muscle (or lack there of).. its hard to say since its only in certain poses. So you can continue to cut body fat to see if that helps. If it doesnt go away, then do a bulk phase and add muscle. Unfortunately, genetics alone can be a beotch.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Would it be helpful to post a picture of what I'm talking about??? I can take one in the morning if you think it would help.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Would it be helpful to post a picture of what I'm talking about??? I can take one in the morning if you think it would help.
    It would. I looked at the ones in your profile so its hard to know what you are talking about. What are your stats? You seem to have little muscle (just by looking at pictures) which i know is common in those with celiac.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Very helpful.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have the same so I would like to follow this thread
  • Saunz5
    Options

Very helpful.

How do I post pics on here?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Very helpful.

Upload the pic to a photo hosting site like tinypic. Then, link the URL or embed the url between image tags.
  • Saunz5
    Options

Very helpful.

Upload the pic to a photo hosting site like tinypic. Then, link the URL or embed the url between image tags.

whatever you just said is not in english. lol I have photobucket...I'll put them there and then post the link on here. Will that work?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Very helpful.

whatever you just said is not in english. lol I have photobucket...I'll put them there and then post the link on here. Will that work?

That should work as long as photobucket doesn't password the pics.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Let me know if it doesn't work...
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You may have weak transverse abdominus. The TA muscle acts almost like a belt pulling the abdominal area in. Look up exercises that isolate and strengthen it and you may see improvement if that is what it is.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Let me know if it doesn't work...

I can only see one photo.

Go to www.tinypic.com. You don't need a password or a login, it's free and simple. Just upload the pic you want to show, and it will spit out an address. Paste it here.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    2hpn4if.jpg

2ng6fqd.jpg

34snf53.jpg

8xpt2e.jpg
  • Saunz5
    Options
    EDIT by Sidesteel: I fixed the image tags. The photos are now viewable. I'll go back and remove your photobucket link and PW from your post just in case you don't want that to remain public/posted etc.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Thank you! :o)