Not enough calories, protein, too much carbs, fat.

Options
As the subject line spells out, I'm having trouble reaching my calorie and 40% protein intake without going over on my 30% carbs and 30% fat.

What are the foods that the rest of you ladies eat to reach the proper balance?

I got to playing with my food log and I found the closest I can get to a balance is to eat:
18 oz. baked chicken breast (not sure if that 18 oz is raw before cooking or after cooking out the moisture)
1 C. (uncooked) quinoa (cooked before eating, of course)
4 tablespoons Simply Jiff peanut butter
8 11" stalks celery

How do you all reach the 40/30/30 balance in your diet?

Replies

• Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The 40/30/30 ratio you have is incorrect. It's 40 carbs 30 protein 30 fat .What i did was for example my favorite foods plug those in my dairy first then after that let everything else fall in. Meaning say you like 2 cups of ice cream plug that in your diary then see what's left and fill in.That way your getting your favorite foods in out the way. Protein sources are in greek yogurt, meats, whey protein shakes protein bars , nuts and seeds.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    (((momwasix)))
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

What a silly mistake!

I'm on Day 7 of EM2WL (and Day 7 of my full metabolism reset). I was beginning to think I was never going to figure out how to consume the required (according to my mistaken calculation) macros. I love my protein-packed foods, but I was beginning to think that I'd make myself sick by trying to scarf down more than I've been eating.

I just adjusted my numbers in MFP and took a look at my food diary the past couple of days and things I ate are much more in line with where they are supposed to be.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Load up on protein first, everything else will fall into place :) Good luck on your reset and EMTWL.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    huh, i'll be interested to hear what others say. I have had my macros set at 40/30/30 with protein being the 40 for a long while. It is difficult for me to achieve but that is what I try for. Essentially all I know for sure is to aim for .8 - 1g of protein per lb of body weight according to my trainer. As for EM2WL rules on macros I guess maybe I was mistaken too
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    huh, i'll be interested to hear what others say. I have had my macros set at 40/30/30 with protein being the 40 for a long while. It is difficult for me to achieve but that is what I try for. Essentially all I know for sure is to aim for .8 - 1g of protein per lb of body weight according to my trainer. As for EM2WL rules on macros I guess maybe I was mistaken too

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That's almost always that many grams per lb of Lean Body Mass, not current weight. At the least, if you have a way to go, use goal weight if you don't have an estimate of LBM. I'd find it hard to believe a trainer saying to use current weight, unless they are secreting advocating a low carb diet and that's their means of doing it without really telling you.

Or use the spreadsheet linked in this topic, get your bodyfat estimate, then go over to the Macro's tab, and use the LBM column.
    Links on the Marcro's tab for the recommendations, which are pretty common actually.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like some of the others have already said it is good to start with 1 macro e.g. protein then balance the rest around it. If you are unsure on good nutritional foods to fill each macro just google food nutritional charts and that should give you some ideas and of course go and view other EM2WL members diary's they are always a great source of ideas.
    My diary is open and you are very welcome to view it (I have sent you a friend request).
    Personally I like to eat 6 times a day so I work out how many grams of protein I should be eating per day then divide by 6, that way I get some at each meal and then balance the rest around it, sometimes it does take some trial and error but after a while you get to know what you need to add in. I wouldn't worry about hitting things spot on each day as long as generally over the week you are getting around the right macros you will be fine.