Food Addict & Compulsive Over Eater Needs Friends

Options
I need friends who struggle with the same thing I do so we can support and help each other. I'm a compulsive over eater as well as my Dr just told me that I have a food addiction. I really need help. I'm 39 years old and a mother of a 4 1/2 year old son. He needs his mommy to live a long healthy life.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    MFP does work if you work it!! You may need additional help.
  • 300poundsdown
    Options
    I definitely understand how you feel. I have been plagued by this for most of my life. There is hope and a way out. You will find a lot of support on here!!
  • Lovinmyself1st
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I do see a therapist. Trying to work on my mental side so I can get better control over my eating. Gonna take time with lots of support. :)
  • ashisgoingtowin
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. If you need someone to talk or need help i'm willing to listen.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have tended to turn to food, especially sweet things, for comfort since the age of around 11.
    Having suffered anorexia when younger, I now have been leaning towards binge eating and bulimia.
    I have to battle to find equilibrium. Never been overweight, but I do have an unfortunately strong interest in food.
    Feel free to add me.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I am not a compulsive overeater, but I have started binging recently. I think I am a food addict, I think about food every moment I'm awake, I dream about food, I count down the minutes until I can next eat:( I'm in recovery for purging type anorexia, the binging started into my second year of recovery, still trying to stop them altogether.
  • coffeeMAME
    coffeeMAME Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    a lot of people don't realize that eating can become an addiction. although my doctor has never really told me that, i know that i have been addicted to food for as long as i can remember.

so many people say that weight loss is easy, that all you need to do is stop eating, but when it comes down to it its really difficult to stop. because when you're addicted, you're at the point where you're not eating food because you feel hungry, or munchy, or even because you're enjoying it--it gets to the point where you are eating things that dont even taste good or feel good just because you feel like you NEED to eat.

to me, food addiction is seriously one of the hardest things to combat because you can never just STOP eating altogether. you have to eat to live, and so its really hard to make yourself only eat just a little bit.

i think that MFP is really really helpful with this, because when youre constantly filling out the information and keeping track of what you ate it really does help you to gain control over it. but still, it takes a lot of mental effort to change these habits. i think that the mental aspect is even harder than the physical aspect of weight loss.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I do see a therapist. Trying to work on my mental side so I can get better control over my eating. Gonna take time with lots of support. :)
    Yes it takes a lot ot time and patience with yourself. Keep up the good work and never give up!