Flavored water

Options
Mio has been a life-saver because it gets me to drink more water...HOWEVER, it's not very Paleo of me (artificial sweetener). What else can I use? I know of lemon juice...but its not sweet. Is this something I just need to suck it up and get used to or is there something else I can use in place of the Mio?

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I personally would just suck it up :P but I'm not a big fan of sweet things anyways, and I totally get what you mean...sometimes water is so boring! What about blending up a couple berries and add it to your water. I don't mean like a whole pint of berries to one glass or anything, but I'll bet about a 1/4 cup of berries would flavor at least 1 whole gallon of water, probably even 2 gallons.

I have a friend who slices up a half cucumber and throws it into a 3qt pitcher with the juice of half a lime, sometimes some fresh mint, then lets it sit overnight. Man is it good!
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good ideas...I will try them, thank you :)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Second the lime (or lemon) and mint. I've heard others say that adding a pinch of salt also makes water more palatable for them. Personally I just love water as is. A couple of drops of vanilla essence also gives a sweet flavour without the sugar.
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    Vanilla essence? Is that like Vanilla extract? I like that idea too...good for work, just add a few drops to whatever I'm drinking out of (water bottle, hospital pitcher, etc) lol Thanks!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    A slice of cucumber in the glass. Refreshing.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I will do limes in my water - I have a 25 ounce Camelback bottle with a sip valve - I find I can get more water in me this way. My absolute minimum is 2 full bottles a day - but I usually wind up with over 3 bottles.

I will put a quarter of a lime in the bottle and keep it in all day as I refill it. It gives it a hint of pucker that i like.

During the summer I will put fresh mint in my water as well.
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    I like it - especially since I use the same bottle, and would be good for work, especially with the refills.

Thanks!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have no problem drinking plain water, I actually really love it. But sometimes I add a tablespoon of cranberry juice (that I juice myself from fresh cranberries) into a glass of water.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I add frozen berries, as it melts it gives more flavor then the fresh. wE freeze our berries/fruit that we did not get eat before they pass their prime then they are good for smooties and whatever else you might use your frozen fruit in. Saves money, instead of throwing them out.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was just like that when I started to try drinking water regularly. If you just "suck it up" and stick with it, I bet you'll find that eventually (not over night, heck maybe not even the first few weeks) you enjoy water as is. Now if I even try Crystal light or any of those add to water sweeteners, I actually find it TOO sweet.

That being said, when I need a little change up from plain water I go with lemon/lime or a few slices of cucumber in the glass (when I first heard that I was like what? no way...gross...but it's not hehe). I've also thrown a few fresh or frozen berries into a pitcher and sweetened it that way.
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What about tea? I recently discovered Tevana loose leaf tea. They have a lot of amazing flavors that make great ice or hot tea.
  • slbedgood
    slbedgood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would try to get used to drinking unsweetened beverages. You are training your palate to like less sweet things. I drink water, but also unsweet iced tea that I brew at home. I have also put a star anise piece in my water and that gave it a good taste...but you have to like licorice-like flavors.