Doctor Who

Replies

• achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    I'm going to miss Rory soooo much....and Amy too but mostly Rory. I'm a Ninth doctor girl, Eccleston stole my heart and started me down this path so I will forever love him.

I still love Nine and Rose, though I didn't hate Donna or Amy and I LOVE Eleven and River.
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Thursday November 8th. Amazon has 30% off the new seasons of Doctor Who. That's seasons 1-6 of the reboot for $175.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/11/08/amazon-deal-of-the-day-30-off-doctor-who-limited-edition-gift-set-season-1-6/
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    I think I just found the menu for our Doctor Who Christmas Special viewing parties!!!

Gotta love the links on FB sometimes....

http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/photos/doctor-who-dish/#4088
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    I think it would be great if they would at some point give us a companion who is either a) not human, or b) not a girl, or c) both.

Adric.

Or Turlough, he was just visiting that boys' school the Doctor rescued him from.

*ducks*
  • DrJanet98
    http://io9.com/5834950/all-of-the-cutest-rory-williams-moments-from-doctor-who

Interesting theory....for the past several seasons, the true hero of the series hasn't been The Doctor, it's been Rory. :-)
  • Katt1320
    http://io9.com/5834950/all-of-the-cutest-rory-williams-moments-from-doctor-who

Interesting theory....for the past several seasons, the true hero of the series hasn't been The Doctor, it's been Rory. :-)

Thanks for that. Now I'm all crying and stuff. Awww I'm going to miss him so much!!!
  • gse313
    Did anyone see the made for TV Titanic that was on back in late March/early April... Our new companion was in it....
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I notice a lot of love for "The Ponds" on here. Rory was amazing. How could you not adore him? Amy? Eh. Am I the only one who was actually glad to see Amy go? DH and I were joking that the season before the last one, when they changed the opening credits, is when it changed from D.W. to "The Amy Pond Show." She wasn't anywhere near the companion that Donna was and I couldn't stand to watch the opening credits. Bleh.

And the whole plot line with River (her lineage and the fact that she was married to the good Doctor) seemed to have a bit more "jumping the shark" to it than I was comfortable with... I'll say it. It was a let down.

I am looking forward to a fresh start with the new season and can't wait for the Christmas special. :)
  • gse313
    Well, It seems as though Christmas Day is not only reserved for the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but BBCAmerica is making it a Doctor Who Marathon day!!! Seems several Christmas Specials will air followed by all episodes from this fall's season and then the new Christmas Special at 9pm / 8pm Central... :drinker:
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    I didn't do the WHOLE marathon, but I plopped down right around 6 or so and watched from then on (OK, I watched some of it while exercising like a good girl).

What did everyone think? Here's my take:

1. Cheesy, as the Christmas eps should be in my opinion.
    2. Scary-*kitten* snowmen, thanks for that nightmare fuel.
    3. Funny, with great dialogue and the return of some of my favorite friends.
    4. LOVE Clara. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
    5. The teaser trailer for the upcoming season looks awesome. I can't wait for them to start slowly unraveling her mystery, and I caught a glimpse of some truly terrifying baddies in there.
    Well, It seems as though Christmas Day is not only reserved for the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but BBCAmerica is making it a Doctor Who Marathon day!!! Seems several Christmas Specials will air followed by all episodes from this fall's season and then the new Christmas Special at 9pm / 8pm Central... :drinker:
  • I did the whole marathon. Guilty as charged. Mostly because I had to put off watching the new episode until my boyfriend got home from work, at 10pm ugh! Granted, I was cooking and cleaning and taking care of stuff while watching the marathon, but still.

As for the Christmas episode .. oh my. Brilliant! I agree, I absolutely LOVE Clara. And what an amazing twist at the end. Somehow or another, I totally didn't see that one coming. I'm fairly certain I'll be watching it again today.

I also agree it was quite funny. There were a number of spots where all of us were laughing so hard we had to rewind to catch back up on the dialogue.
  • gse313
    Didn't watch the marathon at all.. :-(... gifts, virtual family get-together (gotta love Google+ for the "Hangouts"), Christmas Dinner at IHOP (we were just too damn lazy for once) then a few hours of Geocaching. Got home in time for the Christmas Special though...

Clara is Brilliant!!! BUT... Now the question is this:

Is The Doctor going to spend the remainder of the season chasing the different "Incarnations" of her and constantly watching her die time and time again?!?! We thought he was a mess after "loosing" the Pond's (Williams'), but having to live that over and over almost like a 'time loop'... I can see that officially drive him over the edge!!
  • OMG do NOT even SUGGEST that!!! What a horrible thought...which had, of course, not even remotely occurred to me.
  • One thing that absolutely cracked me up was the "It's smaller on the outside" comment.
  • gse313
    One thing that absolutely cracked me up was the "It's smaller on the outside" comment.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: His reaction was CLASSIC!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Go ahead... Say it.... Everyone does....:smile: "

"It's smaller on the outside!"

":noway: I have not heard THAT one before..."

Same concept, just stymied him due to it being approached from the reverse... I LOVED it!!!:drinker:
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    We watched the Christmas special tonight. Thought it was decent. The only thing that irked me a bit was the kiss. I haven't heard/read any spoilers, but it would really put me off if she was somehow his daughter. Bleh. That would be gross.

And I'm also hoping that the whole "flirty tension" thing dies off. We loved Donna Noble because of the chemistry Catherine Tate has with David Tenant and because Donna was very adamant that there was NOTHING going on between the two of them. The fact that it seemed that Amy would've ditched Rory in a heartbeat for The Doctor made the last three seasons painful at best.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    I was SO choked to see Amy and Rory leave, but I have to say, I LOVE Clara.

Tennant is good, but I love Matt Smith - he's so perfectly eccentric :-)
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Fully agreed. I LOVE Clara and do not want her to be another companion who is in love with the Doctor. A romantic story line is so unnecessary for him for many reasons. For those that wanted one, there was Rose, and that was lovely and now it's past. Then there is the fact of his attachment to River, whatever that may be. The Doctor is not a character whose story requires romantic tension. We've seen it poorly done in the form of sad sack Martha, a character who should have been a standout but instead seemed like an afterthought. Don't do it!!!!

OK I'm done.
    We watched the Christmas special tonight. Thought it was decent. The only thing that irked me a bit was the kiss. I haven't heard/read any spoilers, but it would really put me off if she was somehow his daughter. Bleh. That would be gross.

And I'm also hoping that the whole "flirty tension" thing dies off. We loved Donna Noble because of the chemistry Catherine Tate has with David Tenant and because Donna was very adamant that there was NOTHING going on between the two of them. The fact that it seemed that Amy would've ditched Rory in a heartbeat for The Doctor made the last three seasons painful at best.
  • Katt1320
    Oh god I agree PLEASE no romantic crap! I honestly was not a huge Donna fan, but the thing I did love about her was how she was practically repelled by him LOL "We're not a couple." was one of my fav running gags they've ever had on the reboot.

Clara is beautiful, and I like her a lot already, but the kiss was annoying and didn't sit well with me.

I thought a lot of the jokes between The Doctor and our Sontarian friend fell pretty flat.

Loved the idea of Arthur Conan Doyle basing Sherlock off of a Victorian age Silurian LESBIAN. Awesome. But DAMN she was worthless in battle.

All-in-all, I'm pretty excited to see how this goes!
  • DrJanet98
    Finally saw the Christmas special! I have not seen all of the reboot episodes, in fact the percent is embarrassingly low. But I must say, I do see potential for a relationship *if* they keep it on the same grounds it started on -- with Clara the casual aggressor, and the Doctor, for once, being the one who follows along and/or gets more overtly emotionally attached. Rose was always clearly infatuated with the Doctor, while he was inscrutable and never so much as could tell her he loved her. Martha, from what little I've seen and heard, was similar. I'd like to see the Doctor be taken with Clara, while Clara is much more casual about things. (This might happen if there are multiple incarnations involved, so that the Doctor falls in love with her over time while she always sees him as an interesting new guy who might have potential but is a little weird, but I think I'd rather they have similar experience and he's just the more in love for a change.) She might pull him in for a celebratory snog after a victory, but the very fact that she did so when she hardly knew him shows that it doesn't really mean that much to her. The Doctor kissing her, on the other hand, would be a momentous thing, but she just wouldn't see it that way, wouldn't take it that seriously.

Not sure I'm explaining it very well....