Introduce yourself!

Options
Hi there! My name is Sarah... and I'm officially a carb-addict, and an emotional eater. In June, 2012 I stepped on the scale and found myself at my highest recorded weight yet: 260 lbs. I was going to be visiting my parents for a couple of weeks, and I told my Mom that I'd be willing to do whatever the "diet du jour" was. She had just discovered Choose to Lose, and was starting it the week before I would arrive.

As she told me about CTL, I was really hesitant about trying the plan. Who ever heard of separating starching carbs like bread, from cheese?? Considering that I was going to America’s dairy land for my visit, I was a little concerned. The first day of my diet was 4 days after arriving at my Mom's house. All week I kept asking my mom... "can I have this today?" LOL! I felt like I was 8 all over again.

The "Pièce de résistance" was on my 3rd High Carb day. My kids and I were on vacation in Wisconsin... so what is the natural thing to do? Go to a dairy for a tour and taste-testing of course! But, it was a HC day. It was in the parking lot of this local dairy that I discovered that eating a Turkey Sandwich with lots of veggies and no cheese, is like EATING AIR! Oh, you should have heard me. I went on about how crazy it was to be sitting in the parking lot of a dairy after traveling 2000 miles, eating lunch and not being able to have cheese! Bwahahaha! It was rich! Well, in any case, after our dairy tour I decided that I didn't care about the diet, I was on vacation! I sampled little bits of yummy garlic and jalapeño cheddar, along with the dairy's own yogurt & chocolate milk. Oh man it was so good! LOL! But then, my mom said... "guess what? Ice cream is what I planned for your next meal! Go inside and tell Dad what you want to order."

I love my Mom! She's the best! LOL!

In any case, those first couple of weeks were rough, but after I got back home, and got my own copy of the book, I was on board full time! Since June I've lost 46 pounds (in about 5 months). This is the first time that I've ever had such great success so early in my weight loss journey! If you want to read more about my trials, check out my blog! My second post is all about my diet ups and downs over the year: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/babeinthemoon/view/my-personal-weight-loss-battle-427581

So, that's enough about me... what about you? How did you find out about CTL, and what has your journey been like so far?

Replies

• Dot2Dots
    Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello ! I am Dot. I believe in this day & age, we all have a carb addiction. I never really thought anything of it until I was trying to get pregnant and after started the infertility workup my Dr. diagnosed me with Endometriosis & PCOS plus I was insulin resistant. I then saw a registered dietican and was advised to go on a High-Moderate Protein/Low Carb diet focusing on complex carbs. I followed it diligently and successfully lost about 30 lbs. Then after years of no success with trying to conceive I hit an all time low, sunk into a depression and gained about 40lbs.

Fast forward to today...I am in much better place emotionally. Life is good, yet I still struggled with my weight. I joined MFP in May and so far have lost almost 15 lbs. I hit a plateau a few months ago for about 6-8 weeks. I also follow the Eat More to Weigh Less & The Road Map approach and was advised to eat at my TDEE for 2 weeks, then resume to my CUT. I did and started losing again. But deep down, I knew something needed to change even more.

That is when I saw CTL Chris Powell on the Dr. Oz show. I normally don't watch daytime TV but was intrigued by what he was saying. I have read many articles online about carb-cycling and realized this was very similar to what I did before when I saw the dietican. I then, searched my Library database and went on the hold list. The book came up for grabs last week. I read the book quickly and started on this past Monday (12/3/12). I am still trying to figure some things out but I love it so far .And best of all, I can see myself eating this way for the rest of my life !! :smile:

• ramsfan84
    ramsfan84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Julie. I too saw this on Dr. OZ. I bought the book on my Kindle and am reading it now. I also bought a hard copy because I really wanted to have it around. I did WW for a while but recently quit to try something different. I am very excited to give this a try. HOpe it works. Thanks for all the additional information.
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Julie. I too saw this on Dr. OZ. I bought the book on my Kindle and am reading it now. I also bought a hard copy because I really wanted to have it around. I did WW for a while but recently quit to try something different. I am very excited to give this a try. HOpe it works. Thanks for all the additional information.

Welcome! :bigsmile: I am just starting the CTL plan this week, I'm doing it with a couple of friends so I really hope I can hang it there this time around. Feel free to add me as a friend, the more people I have to be accountable to the better off I'll be. :happy:
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Midge and I am trying ( i know try is a weak word...either you do it or not) to do the carb cycling...I have the book and since thanksgiving have been struggling to stay on plan... Feel free to add me as a friend if you want support and encouragement. I am looking for others to gain inspiration from especially since I'm still confused about portions and calories I should be eating...any support is welcomed! Thank you!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone!
    Hi! I'm Midge and I am trying ( i know try is a weak word...either you do it or not) to do the carb cycling...I have the book and since thanksgiving have been struggling to stay on plan... Feel free to add me as a friend if you want support and encouragement. I am looking for others to gain inspiration from especially since I'm still confused about portions and calories I should be eating...any support is welcomed! Thank you!

Midge, feel free to start new topics with specific questions. :) My biggest recomendation for calories is to start out by shooting for those that are listed in the book.. Use your hand sizes as described for portion sizes... and if you have to go over calories in order to get all your veggies in, so be it! Don't despair. The first few weeks were the toughest for me too. It will take time to get the routine down.
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am definitely a carb addict. After realizing this, I sought the assistance of a professional weight-loss clinic to help me get off some weight that I gained over the summer (stress of relocating and moving). I have been successful on a low-carb plan, but I want to remain successful. On of MFPalers turned me on to a low-carb book to check out, but it seemed a bit strict. I was longing for some variety. So, an internet search turned up Chris Powell's CTL! I've downloaded it on my kindle, and highlighted it up! This sounds like a winner to me! I am not brave enough to start until the holidays are over, but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for starting this group and sharing your experiences.
  • beautincali
    Options
    Hello all,

My name is Tina and I'am 36 and need to loss about 70lbs.
    I bought the ctl book and I really need some help!
    I'am not sure of how many carbs to eat on either day.
    Can some one help??????
  • Susie0248
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I am SO happy to find this group! My name is Susie, and I'm about to start Chris Powell's Choose to Lose Program. I bought (and read) the book, and it seems to make so much sense to me. My intention was to start today, but fate knocked me out with a bad virus this week, so I haven't even been able to get out of bed until today. Nevertheless, I am heading to the grocery store tomorrow (when I can get out of the house again) and stock up on healthy food.

As I write this, I am 50 years old, am 5'3 and weigh 248. I'm really sad that I'm at this point. I've been overweight all my life, and I've been on one diet after another (classic story), only to lose a bit, then gain it all back plus some. Last year, I went gangbusters with a sensible program and exercise, only to discover that I have a bone spur in my right foot, and it created some major pain while trying to participate in a zumba class. I know.... whaa whaa whaa.... BUT.... I am back at it again now, albeit with a new program and kissing zumba goodbye for some replacement "foot friendly" exercise options.

I plan to keep posting my progress here and to use your wonderful posts as incentive, motivation and education. Thanks for being here! :flowerforyou:

Susie
  • Hi everyone! I'm Monica and I'm a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers. I don't have a lot to lose, but my jeans are getting tight and I don't like that feeling! I saw Chris Powell and his carb cycling program on Dr. Oz and was intrigued. I have the book from the library but could use this forum for questions and such. Good luck everyone!!! :)
  • amccord2
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Monica and I'm a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers. I don't have a lot to lose, but my jeans are getting tight and I don't like that feeling! I saw Chris Powell and his carb cycling program on Dr. Oz and was intrigued. I have the book from the library but could use this forum for questions and such. Good luck everyone!!! :)

Welcome! What a great accomplishment to become a lifetime Weight Watchers member.

• Welcome! What a great accomplishment to become a lifetime Weight Watchers member.

Thanks! :smile:
  • 311Sarah
    Options
    :wink: I am so excited about this plan because #1, I am in love with Chris Powell! I have watched every episode of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. I read Chris's book Choose to Lose twice to prepare for my own body transformation. I think the key to this diet is to be organized. I'm excited for this journey! I lost 3 pounds in my first week so I think that is a pretty good start.
  • Hi Sarah! I'm excited that you're here! I'm hoping this group will be more active as more people join. :flowerforyou:
  • cardonut
    cardonut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Debra and am fixing to start Choose to Lose on Tuesday (will be prepping on Monday). I'm 44, 5'8" and weigh 220lbs. My goal weight is 150 or until I feel good (strong and sexy!). I've been successful with Atkins in the past but found it was hard to maintain. It seems y senses were always heightened every time I'd go to grocery store, the smell of fruits and bread suddenly magnified and I'd crave them, Looks like CTL is the best of both worlds.

Hope to learn more about everyone, especially weight loss successes! Good luck everyone!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    Hi everyone. Today is my official first day of Carb Cycling. I bought Chose to Lose about a month ago & followed the plan for a week, but fell back to bad habits because of the whirl-wind of the holidays. Like most of the world, I have set some New Year Resolutions & plan to get refocussed on my goals now that the holidays are over. I got married this past May and had acheived my goal weight in time for my wedding. Yay!! ...BUT..... I have since gained 12 pounds back!!!! :(

So, here I am, back on track, ready to get rid of those 12lbs for good. I think the CTL program makes sense & is something I can really adapt into my lifestyle for the long term. When I tried it for a week about a month ago, I didn't lose any weight & I did find it hard & time consuming to plan ahead & prep everything in advance. But, I think that will become easier as I get used to things & being organized is something I try to be good at, so I know with some effort, this will get easier. I hope to see weightloss results but I'm not expecting a miracle. I've been up & down the this roller coaster long enough to know that it's not easy & it takes alot of time & work to see slow steady results.

I spent a good bit of time this weekend meal planning & grocery shopping & prepping my foods for the week. I hope I can keep the ball rolling!!!! So, lets keep each other motivated & informed & on track!!! I hope I can get some helpful tips, advice & recipes form others using CTL!!!!
  • bvw116
    bvw116 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Becky and last year I followed a similar plan called Vemma Bode. Chris Powell is the spokesperson for the Bode program. I lost 19 lbs in about 6 months on that plan. It is also a carb cycling plan with two low carb days, one high carb day, two low, one high then a "guilt free" day. My husband and I went on vacation in November, then the holidays, and needless to say I fell off the wagon and gained 6 lbs back. So here is the new year and I am ready to start again! I have a very hard time with two low carb days in a row and am hoping I will do better on the every other day plan. I am excited to be a part of this group and hope we can all encourage each other - I need some more motivation! Good luck to all!
  • amccord2
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Becky and last year I followed a similar plan called Vemma Bode. Chris Powell is the spokesperson for the Bode program. I lost 19 lbs in about 6 months on that plan. It is also a carb cycling plan with two low carb days, one high carb day, two low, one high then a "guilt free" day. My husband and I went on vacation in November, then the holidays, and needless to say I fell off the wagon and gained 6 lbs back. So here is the new year and I am ready to start again! I have a very hard time with two low carb days in a row and am hoping I will do better on the every other day plan. I am excited to be a part of this group and hope we can all encourage each other - I need some more motivation! Good luck to all!
    Hi Becky,
    I am looking forward to the group support. I its amazing that you mentioned Vemma Bode! I downloaded the APP for that because it appears to go along with the every other day. However, it has not worked. It keeps resetting. Have you heard of it?'
    Thanks.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Chelle. I just can't stay on the low carb only wagon anymore and thought this plan sounded like a fantastic compromise! I just bought the digital copy yesterday and am still working on figuring out the plan.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone!
    Hi, I'm Chelle. I just can't stay on the low carb only wagon anymore and thought this plan sounded like a fantastic compromise! I just bought the digital copy yesterday and am still working on figuring out the plan.

Chelle, Don't miss the "smart foods guide" topic on the discussion board. You'll find Chris's updated foods list. The one in the book is no where near as extensive as the list you can download for free. Also, if you have any questions, ask! There are several of us here that have been on CTL for months... and are doing well. We may have slightly different approaches to how we interpret Chris's plan... but that's okay! I see it as more of a framework for my new healthy lifestyle, not a prison that I must stay within 100%.

I've been on CTL for 7 months and have lost 47 pounds. I'm thrilled! 2013 is going to be a great year!