2012 v's 2013

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
As the year finishes and another starts.. what were your achievements for 2012 and what your goals are for 2013?

Personally, after being diagnosed with a mental health disorder I returned to a former 'love' of lifting weights in the summer. With the intention of just enjoying workouts even in bad weather or the dark (my other form of exercise is riding but sadly no indoor facilities).

My goal was to get to 100kg deadlift - I'm not there yet, but I got 100kg off the ground yesterday and am deadlifting 90kg (with a tiny hitch of the knees) so am happy to be close to my goal.

My goals for 2013 are to get that 100kg up with good form, and to compete for myself locally.
Also to see improvement in my lifts from January to December. I'd like to lower my weight and continue to see an improvement my mental health or how I manage my bad days.

Hope you have a great new years eve and 2013 brings you your goals.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I had a goal of deadlifting 500 this year, but only got to 475.
    So I'm carrying that over to next year and shooting for 550+ in 2013.

Congrats on getting back into the gym.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2012 was to get a 100kg squat. I got 97.5kg before I fell pregnant and had to stop the heavy lifting.

My goal for 2013 is to get my maxs back, so:

65kg bench
    97.5kg squat
    127.5kg deadlift

Realistically it will be at least mid-2013 before I can start to properly strength train. So by then I'd like to have my weight back down to pre-pregnancy and hopefully lower.
  • porffor
    Options
    My goal for 2012 was to get a 100kg squat. I got 97.5kg before I fell pregnant and had to stop the heavy lifting.

My goal for 2013 is to get my maxs back, so:

65kg bench
    97.5kg squat
    127.5kg deadlift

Realistically it will be at least mid-2013 before I can start to properly strength train. So by then I'd like to have my weight back down to pre-pregnancy and hopefully lower.

Congrats on your pregnancy! :) Hope you have a healthy baby and achieve your goals when you get back in the gym.
  • porffor
    Options
    I had a goal of deadlifting 500 this year, but only got to 475.
    So I'm carrying that over to next year and shooting for 550+ in 2013.

Congrats on getting back into the gym.

Nice to be so close, but hope you get that goal in 2013 :)

Thanks also for the congrats.. it's lovely and feels odd heading back to Uni on Monday knowing I won't get as much gym time.. though I'm thinking I need to get up earlier in the mornings and do a mini session before driving to uni (it's a 55 mile commute each way).
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    After avoiding it for one reason or another, I finally got into the gym in May and started doing some proper lifting instead of my lackluster work every few weeks on the throwing field.

Started out with rough squats and pulls around 300 lbs, and a bench of 180 lbs. Got some proper guidance on how to lift, and finished out the year with a 545 lb squat, 525 lb deadlift, and 250 lb bench! I've dropped 40 lbs in weight, inches off my waist, and gained inches on my legs.

My goals this year:

650 lb squat
    600 lb deadlift
    >300 lb bench
    Compete in my first powerlifting competition.
    Win an overall Highland Games competition.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Win an overall Highland Games competition.

I really want to do Highland Games at some point... I kinda feel like it would be my perfect sport... I do powerlifting and crossfit, but with crossfit I love and excel at the the heavy WODs, whereas the ones with gymnastic movements or lots of sprints are my downfall. From what I've seen of the highland games, I feel like it would suit me... Might look into it for 2014 :)
  • KiltFuPanda
    Options
    I really want to do Highland Games at some point... I kinda feel like it would be my perfect sport... I do powerlifting and crossfit, but with crossfit I love and excel at the the heavy WODs, whereas the ones with gymnastic movements or lots of sprints are my downfall. From what I've seen of the highland games, I feel like it would suit me... Might look into it for 2014 :)

Why wait? You'll find that the training for the games will not only work muscles that you normally don't notice, but it's tons of fun just competing - you won't find a more amusing band of colleagues as ones who are willing to get up early in the morning, come out in kilts, and throw around some weights all day!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal of 500 on the deadlift and came very close to my goal of 400 for a squat and got to 210 in my ohp(goal was 225). My bench improved tremendously in 2012 I hope to keep that trend in 2013 and hit 315 before summer.

my 2013 goals are
    keep adding to the deadlift
    hit 400 squat and 315 bench by summer.
    I think I can hit 225 ohp in the next month or two.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Why wait? You'll find that the training for the games will not only work muscles that you normally don't notice, but it's tons of fun just competing - you won't find a more amusing band of colleagues as ones who are willing to get up early in the morning, come out in kilts, and throw around some weights all day!

I am giving birth in 2 months :) So my 2013 is going to involve getting my general fitness and strength back, I have some big powerlifting goals too, but definitely can see highland games in my future :)

This whole baby thing has forced me to plan years in advance, which is so unlike my spontaneous self!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my primary goal is going to have to be getting down to around 230 or so to be in range for both lightweight strongman and 220 or 242 for powerlifting, really don't care either way on that. Along those lines I need to work on my GPP a lot.

Powerlifting goals will be
    Squat 600 from 540
    Bench 375 from 325
    Deadlift 600 from 530

Dropping around 40 LBS of bodyweight and hitting those numbers is not going to be easy but I'm definitely going to give it my best effort.
  • porffor
    Options
    Some fantastic goals there! Well done and good luck with them!

Highland games are amazing to watch - can imagine they would be to compete in too.

I love the idea of Wales srongest Woman in April.. so that is my goal after comp in 2 weeks.. to aim for the minimum lifts - the Overhead press of 40kg is a bit heavy for me as I only do 25kg at the moment. And the deadlift is 120kg so got work to do there too.. I may not make it this year, but if not I'll be ready for 2014! lol
  • porffor
    Options
    Unfortunately, my primary goal is going to have to be getting down to around 230 or so to be in range for both lightweight strongman and 220 or 242 for powerlifting, really don't care either way on that. Along those lines I need to work on my GPP a lot.

Powerlifting goals will be
    Squat 600 from 540
    Bench 375 from 325
    Deadlift 600 from 530

Dropping around 40 LBS of bodyweight and hitting those numbers is not going to be easy but I'm definitely going to give it my best effort.

can you not still compete in the higher weight class or do the numbers not suffice then? there are some serously big blokes in our association but then they do lift a lot.. I'm fortunate from a womans point of view I guess there will only be me in my weight class unless I start competing with the GBPF.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much an issue with competing in a higher weight class. I'm not expecting any records or anything so I might enter a competition at a higher weight earlier in the year. I'm only 5' 8" so for general health I'd be much more comfortable at a lower weight and feel I'd be much more competitive in that range down the road.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2012:
    squat 185kg
    Bench:105kg
    DL: 220kg

(all surpassed my goals :))

2013:
    squat:200kg
    bench:120kg
    DL:250kg

and compete in 82.5kg weight class

Also, going in my first strong man comp in April.
  • KiltFuPanda
    Options
    I am giving birth in 2 months :) So my 2013 is going to involve getting my general fitness and strength back, I have some big powerlifting goals too, but definitely can see highland games in my future :)

This whole baby thing has forced me to plan years in advance, which is so unlike my spontaneous self!

That would be a real good reason to hold off on throwing! Congrats in advance - you'll find that little bundle of joy makes for a great exercise as well. Pick up the baby, put down the baby, carry baby and equipment around, walking with the stroller... and that's all before they even get mobile!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I squatted and deadlifted 405, and benched 255. All better than I had hoped for.
    I lost 60 pounds for my wedding, which was a goal...but then gained it all back following the honeymoon, which was not.

squat and pull over 455
    bench over 275
    Get down below 242