Weights Used?

Options
I just started Push Phase and I'm a complete beginner to lifting. I went through the entire Burn Phase with pretty light weights...5-8-10 lbs. I eventually abandoned the 5's in favor of the 8's and the 10's. I've upped it to 10-15-20 for this round, but I'm thinking that in 2 weeks I will abandon the 10's and move to 15-20-25/30. I'm sure in Lean phase, I'll go even higher. My goal is to work into a readiness plan for NROLFW.

What do you think of the progression? Is it too slow? Are the weights not heavy enough? Any other beginners have any insight? What weights did you use?

Backstory: Since I don't have the money to keep buying weights, I wrote out all the exercises on a spreadsheet of sorts and take it to the gym. I practice going slow and good form in front of a huge mirror and 9 times out of 10, I finish in about the same time the DVD ends. Thus, the possibilities for weights are gym-quality.

Replies

• Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'll look up my weight used tomorrow but I am on second week of lean and I was disappointed that I had to use less weight. A lot less in some places because the exercises are different and you have to do more reps.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have the PowerBlocks so you can increase as little as 2.5 lbs at a time. I increased every week/circuit. If I did an exercise with 15lbs then the next time I did the circuit I went up to 17.5 (unless I couldn't reach the full amount of reps). I will say I was able to increase the amount of weights for my legs faster and heavier than I could with my arms. I finished round 1 I'm thinking about starting round 2.
  • amomono
    amomono Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    with push you will use heavier weights because you do less reps. You will go back to slightly lighter weights in the lean circuit because you are back to more reps.

I would say if you can get to 12 reps every time, try upping the weight by 2.5. It is perfectly fine to have to stop at 10 reps. If you can't get to 10, lower it 2.5 lbs.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used the most weight in Push, but I'm on my 2nd week of Lean and my weights are 8lbs on some of the exercises. My delts are weak!