Northerners

Options
Seemed a lack of Northerners so thought I'd make a new thread to say hi.

"Hi".

See ya.

Ok, j/k. Used the app for a while on and off but never bothered with the website. Bit of background:

Last about 2st in last 12 months (from 15.5st to 13.5st currently). I'm running intermittent fasting so I eat 12noon to 8pm only. Sensible eating and hard work mostly.

Say hello!

Replies

• loubylou3
    Options
    hi i am from manchester and its my 2nd day on here
    i wanna lose around 48 lbs after weighing myself and seeing some horrendous photos of me :(
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i wanna lose around 48 lbs after weighing myself and seeing some horrendous photos of me :(

More than doable. Just takes time. The problem people often have is expecting overnight results. I'll list below what I think the main changes to my diet were and maybe some will help you :

- Started drinking coffee black
    - Cut out all breakfast cereal
    - Stopped eating bread and pasta
    - Only eating white rice on days Ive been training
    - Other carbs are from veg and the odd bit of fruit
    - dark green beg is best
    - Protein from fresh meat mostly Chicken, Tuna and Salmon but also beef now and again (fresh, not battered, breaded, or so on)
    - Fats mostly from nuts and cooking with coconut oil rather than olive oil
    - no ready meals
    - no cakes (boo!)
    - no costa latte and muffin (boo!)
    - Let myself enjoy someone like a cheat maybe once a week. Yesterday I had a skinny latte and a bakewell slice. But then Ill be 100% strict the rest of the week.
    - Only eat between 12pm - 8pm (might be better to do with with a trainer if unsure)
    - Using this app, Im eating around 1800cals per day
    - Weight training 3 days a week and Cardio 2 days a week

Theres a lot of things there and it was tough at first but as I started to see results it made me more determined. You need that willpower and will to do it and stick to it. Again why this place or people to do it with and encourage can be useful.

Well worth it though, good luck!
  • aliparry
    aliparry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm from Cheshire (although living down south!)

Good advice - I too have ditched (largely!) the refined white carbs - boo! I eat fairly well my big issue apart from the carbs is portion control..

As you say, the weight didn't come on overnight and we're not going to lose it overnight either, crash dieting doesn't work - it needs to be a complete lifestyle change that you can maintain moving forward.
  • lisaloo10
    Options
    Hello from Manchester............
    Just joined a few days ago. Well done on your weight loss :-)
  • ibunny77
    Options
    Hello from sunny (actually it's raining) Scotland.

I just joined up last week after my cliche new years decision to loose weight and get back to feeling good about clothes shopping and feeling confident about my body again.

I'm 5ft 2 and currently just over 13st eek!! not sure how that happened. - red wine.

So im going low carb and having a no wine january. Got myself an exercise bike and I aint afraid to use it.

so far so good, I have no problem ditching bread, pasta, cake, crisps and all that rubbish I don't eat anyway, but learning a lot about calories in fruit juice and things like that, I thought were ok, but were secretly my enemy! so any good low carb advice, recipes or tips welcome :o)
  • ibunny77
    Options

More than doable. Just takes time. The problem people often have is expecting overnight results. I'll list below what I think the main changes to my diet were and maybe some will help you :

- dark green beg is best
    - Protein from fresh meat mostly Chicken, Tuna and Salmon but also beef now and again (fresh, not battered, breaded, or so on)
    - no ready meals
    - no cakes (boo!)
    - Let myself enjoy someone like a cheat maybe once a week. Yesterday I had a skinny latte and a bakewell slice. But then Ill be 100% strict the rest of the week.
    - Only eat between 12pm - 8pm (might be better to do with with a trainer if unsure)

Theres a lot of things there and it was tough at first but as I started to see results it made me more determined. You need that willpower and will to do it and stick to it. Again why this place or people to do it with and encourage can be useful.

This is good advice ,and I'm doing all these thing, apart from eating a sneaky bakewell slice and weight training and eating between 12 and 8pm. Can I just ask? why not eating before 12, I thought it was good to kickstart your metabolism with breakfast?
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi from the midlands lincolnshire :) you need to eat first thing in the morning before 12pm. 6 small meals a day to keep you ticking over. Then just work your *kitten* off each day. Eat less move even more :)
  • loubylou1969
    loubylou1969 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi

I live in Newcastle-under-Lyme (North Staffordshire). Lost 21lb in 2011 with WW but have put a few lbs back on so decided to give MFP a go.

Lost 2lb so far so am pleased with that. I'm a runner, try and run 5k twice a week if I can.

My downfall is alcohol! Love wine but it causes me weight gain!

Louise
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options

- dark green beg is best
    - no ready meals
    - no cakes (boo!)

This is good advice ,and I'm doing all these thing, apart from eating a sneaky bakewell slice and weight training and eating between 12 and 8pm. Can I just ask? why not eating before 12, I thought it was good to kickstart your metabolism with breakfast?

Its a program called intermittent fasting. Read more here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting Im doing 16/8.

Also worth reading : http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/ask-diet-doctor-truth-about-intermittent-fasting

and answers your question as :

Won’t Fasting Crash My Metabolism?
    I am often asked this question when the topic of fasting comes up. For years “cheat meals” during periods of dieting were touted for their ability to keep your metabolism elevated due to some fuzzy logic between calorie intake and thyroid function. Just as one high-calorie cheat day isn’t going to fix weight-loss-induced thyroid issues, not eating for 24 or 16 hours isn’t going to crash your metabolism and render weight loss impossible.
  • davidshutter
    davidshutter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm from St Helens. I've been on here for 12 months and lost over 5 stone. I have reset my data for the new year after having christmas "off" (I only gained a total of 5lb, eating fairly "naughtily").

My main strategy was the obvious, irrefutable one.

- Eat fewer calories than your body burns
    - - I was at around 1700 a day. I cook the majority of my own meals, keeping an eye on fat content but not obsessing over it, and walking about 4 miles home from work monday-friday

I also stopped drinking alcohol except on very rare occasions (fewer than once a month, and even then only one or two).

The only thing that it takes is discipline and a good motivator. At the end of the day, the pics speak for themselves.

2.jpg
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thats a great weight loss and about the amount I need to shed, I've done ok in the past only to slip back. I've given up alcohol completely this time too.

I'm from Rossendale in Lancs. Good site this and free! I used Weight Loss Resources 4 years ago and tried it for 24 hours last week but I think this is better and easier to use
  • shellybob79
    shellybob79 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Michelle from Southport. I've been on here just over 6 weeks so far so good, had a great start and lost just under a stone. I hope to lose around another 20 pounds. Feel free to add me guys need all the support i can get i'm always happy to give support also. Good luck all :)
  • sarah75x
    sarah75x Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from Greater Manchester. Started on MFP 356 days ago according to my log and lost 6 stone so far (put 4lb on over Christmas but lost 3 again this week) Love this site, it's helped me get my 'happy' back! :smile:
  • cgirly
    cgirly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I'm from Manchester - hoping to lose 40lbs - started a week ago and lost 3 already.
    Really really pleased I discovered this website (I feel a bit sad and geeky that I like filling in all the charts!) and hope I can stick at it.
    Good luck with your journey :)
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm from St Helens. I've been on here for 12 months and lost over 5 stone. I have reset my data for the new year after having christmas "off" (I only gained a total of 5lb, eating fairly "naughtily").

My main strategy was the obvious, irrefutable one.

- Eat fewer calories than your body burns
    - - I was at around 1700 a day. I cook the majority of my own meals, keeping an eye on fat content but not obsessing over it, and walking about 4 miles home from work monday-friday

I also stopped drinking alcohol except on very rare occasions (fewer than once a month, and even then only one or two).

The only thing that it takes is discipline and a good motivator. At the end of the day, the pics speak for themselves.

David that's excellent progress mind. Well done indeed.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Hi, I'm from Greater Manchester. Started on MFP 356 days ago according to my log and lost 6 stone so far (put 4lb on over Christmas but lost 3 again this week) Love this site, it's helped me get my 'happy' back! :smile:

Incredible numbers there and that's in one year!! What an inspiration for anyone on here.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Shields, that's pretty far North..and East. Lost about 22lbs and down to goal, put a couple on over Christmas, but back on track now, just need to up the exercise again!
  • suziejo50
    Options
    Hi I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne, just joined yesterday....and am doing an Intermittent Fasting programme...early days yet obviously....but I'm up for the challenge and looking forward to getting to my goal weight. and maintaining it from then on. I've been heavily involved with LighterLife (the VLCD) over the past few years, but my counsellor left the business just before Christmas so I've decided to look for something new to motivate me.
  • gomaz
    gomaz Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi from Cumbria,
    I have been using MFP since mid August 2012 and have lost 26 lb, but put 5 back on over the Christmas period.
    Back to it now, to lose 8 lbs to get to my goal
  • afhusted
    afhusted Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Northumberland - you folk from down south will be wondering where that is :)

I used the site to drop a stone before Chistmas. I am back on the site to get rid of the weight I put on over the holidays.