What's your favourite gym in Ottawa?

Options

Replies

• enliven_mal
    enliven_mal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just go to my local community centre. It is alright, though quite cramped and full of teenagers (it shares a parking lot with a high school). If I can get there during an 'off' time, it is really nice. Close, inexpensive, and everyone (except the teenagers) and there to actually get stuff done.
  • veronadeau
    Options
    If I had the money I'd have to say SOMA but I will admit I'm also a Goodlife Girl.
    Its super convenient.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Joined The Athletic Club yesterday. I hope it lives up to the hype!
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I have a corporate membership at the YMCA in Rockland for me and my kids. Cheap... $101 for all three of us monthly. It includes all the classes we want to take including the pool, use of the gym and a discount on the party room. I love it... I never get bored there because they have so much! The only thing I need to pay extra for are specialty programs like Lifeguard training and Leadership Corp which we are not into.
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just joined Athletic Club because I was looking for an all women's gym. It's the one at Train Yards and I love it so far. The facility is super clean and there are so many machines you never ever have to wait to use anything. I haven't tried group fitness yet but I will because it is included in my membership. Also there's a women's only pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room and don't get me started on the showers. The showers have a door, a little changing area and then a curtain to separate that off so you can hang your things while you shower. I've been to many gyms and this is such an convenient aspect, I wonder why they don't all have them.

I paid $99 for registration and then $24.95 bi-weekly for a year. With that I got a free gym bag and a $100 gift card for any service there. I think you can't pay too much for your health, and with this price while not ideal really does give you what you pay for. Especially since I need an all-women's facility if I want to be comfortable. The staff are super friendly I highly recommend it.
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also go to Goodlife but I like the women's only ones... I live in the market but actually never go to Rideau centre one!! Vanier loblaws is a verrrry short bus ride so it's worth it for me, I love the classes there. I've been to most of the Ottawa locations near previous homes or employers, and I must say that I loved the Baseline and Queensway classes.

St Laurent staff can be b*tchy and the Hunt Club staff are up and down (some rock and some are... still employed??), but I do like the Hunt Club women's section a lot for a quiet workout on the elliptical or fit-fix machines.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just joined Athletic Club because I was looking for an all women's gym. It's the one at Train Yards and I love it so far. The facility is super clean and there are so many machines you never ever have to wait to use anything. I haven't tried group fitness yet but I will because it is included in my membership. Also there's a women's only pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room and don't get me started on the showers. The showers have a door, a little changing area and then a curtain to separate that off so you can hang your things while you shower. I've been to many gyms and this is such an convenient aspect, I wonder why they don't all have them.

I paid $99 for registration and then $24.95 bi-weekly for a year. With that I got a free gym bag and a $100 gift card for any service there. I think you can't pay too much for your health, and with this price while not ideal really does give you what you pay for. Especially since I need an all-women's facility if I want to be comfortable. The staff are super friendly I highly recommend it.

The one on Innes is the same, left goodlife for AC and it's great. You should try the group fitness and the kickboxing/boxing classes,they're awesome and the trainers really get your heart rate going!
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been doing TAC Physique, Abs Express and Belly Dancing! I love it!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ive been to a few different Goodlifes. The one at Rideau is horrible. It is crowded, it smells bad, and looks unclean. Certain machines would be out of service for too long, and i also heard that sometimes homeless people hangout in the bathroom . I was also supposed to get a discount as my work provides it, and this whole time i thought i had the discounted version, im still paying the normal price, almost $60 a month. Pretty unhappy about that.

The all womens Goodlife in Orleans on Innes (located in the Superstore), is alright. Its never really busy which is great! I personally felt that they did not have a lot of machines . They had everything on the cardio side, but weight machines were a different story.

The Goodlife on Tenth Line in Orleans is personally my favorite!!!! Its a big gym, tons of Weight machines ( even a few of the same ones!), tons of Cardio machines, staff is friendly! (example; I literally forgot my engagement ring in one of the Tanning rooms, and wanted to do a bit of cardio afterwords . One of the girls from the front desk went in there i guess, and she came out looking for me because she had found the ring and thought maybe it belonged to me. She could have easily kept it, sold it, whatever (because i did not even know it was missing!) , but she did the right thing which i am very thankful for).

Im actually going to be moving on Bank street, close to Billings Bridge. I found out on Walkley road there is a Goodlife, has anyone been there? Any good? Or any other gym near?
  • chrissybridges
    chrissybridges Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Greco is a good gym but if you're not already in fairly good shape and have been doing strength training for a while it can actually be too intense and harmful to your body. So many people get knee and back injuries because its just too much impact if you're a beginner.

The Goodlife at Rideau is gross, but they do have a separate room for yoga so they have more classes than most of the other locations. The best Goodlife that I have been to (and go to frequently) is the one on Queensview. It's huge and not crammed at all and they have squash courts, a women's only section and steam rooms! The staff there seem to be a lot more experienced and knowledgeable than those at the Rideau location and have given me lots of great advice!
  • AshleyPro
    Options
    I go to Goodlife
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodlife

Anyone go to Walkley or Hunt Club Goodlife?
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I did, four years ago though. Not sure how other gyms are, but it was very busy from 5-6:30, and during that time the type of cardio machine you wanted often wasn't available without a 10 minute wait. The circuit-weight machines were being constantly used at that time as well, but it's easier to squeeze in a set in-between someone else's sets. The parking lot is still packed so I see no reason why that would not have changed since.
    It was clean, didn't stink, equipment was rarely out-of-order for long, but every couple of weeks the towel service ran out of towels.
  • AshleyPro
    Options
    I go to Goodlife

I go to the one on walkley, its not too busy at the time i go so i like it
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I live right across from the Walkley Goodlife and it's the one i went to when I was a member there. It was clean enough and alright if I went in the morning, but the crazy wait for cardio machines in the evening and their trainers/customer service sucked. It was those three last things that made me quit Goodlife for good.

If any of the TAC members are looking for a gym buddy for classes PM me. I always feel so self conscious going to classes on my own and my bestie can't stay late for classes most days.
  • CLJC55
    CLJC55 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you live in Sandyhill have you checked the Ottawa University gym. Not sure if anyone can join but might be worth checking out.
    I have a membership at The Athletic Club its too far for you to travel but if you ever move east check it out. Prices are comparable to Goodlife. By far a better facility they also have a womans only gym and a pool with a whirl pool. They also have a family change room and a day care facility. If you want a reasonable priced gym this is the way to go. Almost all the classes are first come basis. I have never had to wait in line to use equipment and that in itself is worth the price of a membership. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck.
  • Mandi_run
    Options
    I have been a member of TAC for over a year now and hands down I find it the best! I, sometimes do a drop in spin class with a girlfriend at GoodLife and I have to say, I am not a big fan of thier clubs. If it wasn't for some particular spin instructors...I wouldn't go at all
  • isanomade
    isanomade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YMCA
  • Redkestrel
    Redkestrel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work at Carleton University so I've been using the gym there, but I have to say that it's hard to get machines and the change room could use a makeover. That said, it's super convenient, and free as an employee. They are renovating now, so maybe in a year it will be much improved.

I've toyed with the idea of trying The Athletic Club at TrainYards, but I'm worried that if I have to come home, change and go, I won't. LOL.

Great reviews in this thread though!

Check out the U of O club if you're in Sandy Hill -- great idea already listed above :)
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    I currently go to Goodlife but have now toured TAC at Trainyards twice and I'm really tempted to make the switch! It is so close to my house, and what I really want is the hot yoga (which is extra at St Laurent Goodlife).

Have any TAC members tried the Power Barbell (?) class? Is it anything like Bodypump (my fave class @ Goodlife)?

The price I was quoted at was 25.95+tax biweekly, it would basically be 2 dollars more per month than what I'm paying for Goodlife now! (57/month)

I've been to several Goodlife locations (Bridlewood, Hazeldean, March Rd, Hunt Club, Walkley, St Laurent, Vanier, Gloucester Centre). My personal favourite is St Laurent and least favourite is Walkley but in all fairness I've only been to Walkley once and it was in the after work hours for a Pump class and just insanely busy.