Late Night Snacking

Options
Hey everybody, i really need some tips on how to quit late night snacking. The thing is i work part time at a pharmacy and finish work at around 10:30 pm sometimes 11:00, and when i get home most of the time i'm really hungry. I've tried drinking tons of water and sometimes have a few crackers, while other nights i usually have enough willpower to not eat anything and go straight to bed. But then there are some nights where i'll literally feast on stuff. I do bring a packed "lunch/dinner" to work for my break, which usually consists of PB&J, baked chips, crackers, a granola bar and 0 calorie drinks. I really want to quit this late night snacking. I know its supposed to be bad to eat a meal before bed since the food just sits in your stomach and isnt being burned off. Anybody have the same problem or tips to stop this? Thanks, and sorry for the long post lol.

Replies

• Hazard_
    Hazard_ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "PB&J, baked chips, crackers, a granola bar" - Can you bring some filling items with you to work? Fat and Protein will fill you up, carbs just make you want to eat more.

Beef Jerky from BigJohnsBeefJerky I love, small 100 cal bags of nuts, deli meat, Fast Food salads have come a long way. Taco Bell's Fresca menu isn't terrible either on the cheap.

I usually stay up late and have been substituting my late snacking with eating deli meat, cheese, and carrots while drinking plenty of water (Also drink more water!).
  • lepahc
    lepahc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hazard_ is right, your lunch/dinner seems to be causing most of your issues. Foods high in processed carbs, that break down fast can really make you more hungry not very long after. For me, eating a meal like that would make me ravishing for food in under two hours.

The best you could do is eliminate the crackers, granola bar, chips, and make the sandwich something with protein, be it real cheese and meat or one or the other. Add in some fruit like an apple for some sweet but with added fiber. Jerky is a great snack option, or addition to a meal and will help with any hunger pangs.

You could also have whole nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts and the like. Just make sure you don't eat too many because they are loaded with calories and can blow any numbers you are watching if you go overboard. They are high in fat and protein which will help with satiety as well.

I personally refuse to eat near bed time, I know it can be hard, but reward yourself with a hearty breakfast and it will be more worth it imo.