Cleaning smelly pads and gloves!

catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Does anyone have any tips for cleaning smelly focus pads and gloves? I bought my own pads so that I didn't have to use the clubs smelly pads, but 9 months down the line they're starting to smell just as bad!

I bought some 'fresh gloves', little yellow bags of charcoal to put in gloves while you're not wearing them but to be honest I don't think they help much. My gloves don't smell as bad as the pads though and I do use the gloves more. I've also tried putting antibacterial hand gel on a baby wipe and wiping the inside of the glove out which helped a little, but isn't really an option for the pads. I've considered febreeze too, but I'd really want to clean them properly.

Any ideas?

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Buy new ones. Lysol spray.

Or suck it and up and deal. I do the third option.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    I buy a bag of cedar wood shavings at the pet store, fill up socks with them, and store them in my gloves between use. Change the cedar every month or two. This keeps them pretty fresh.

Once they are funkified, I don't know.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    My hands usually smell like feet.
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Stinky pads is part of the fun!
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Robyn, you hit the nail on the head!! They smell exactly like sweaty feet!! I had a look on another forum and they suggested putting them in the freezer to kill the bacteria. Well I just got them out and they do smell quite a bit better. I might put them in a bit longer and then give them a really good airing.

I like the idea of cedar wood shavings. I've also heard newspaper. I'll try that once I've got the smell out! Thanks!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Febreze?
  • I've used fabric softener sheets before, and it seemed to help somewhat.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    All of our taekwondo gear smells pretty funky..we air it out after every use but I feel like it just comes with the territory..lol!
    Never thought of freezing it..it is below freezing here now..I should leave it outdoors!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    I asked my instructor "how do I clean my gloves and pads" and his answer was " With Your opponents sweat!!""
  • We've been using the Norwex Sportzyme spray on our taekwondo gear and it works pretty well. It also lasts a long time.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Lysol spray for the pads and outside part of gloves. Douse the inside of the gloves with some baking soda.
  • Throw them in the freezer
  • khiggs2k8
    khiggs2k8 Posts: 1 Member
    I just cleaned mine lastnite with babys talcon powder in them.......leave them out to air aftr using them :)
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Well we discovered leaving them out in the freezing -15 weather does no good..my kids gear was smelly as ever after leaving it in the truck a few days..lol...oh well was worth a try!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    I don't think there is any way to get rid of that stank. I've tried everything. A sniff of my gloves almost makes me pass out.

Brittany
  • baby wipes help! I've noticed that if I wipe my gloves before and after I use them, they don't smell as bad.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Lysol Lysol Lysol. and Lysol after each use. you can go industrial and buy the disinfectant for bowling alley shoes, but Lysol has never let me down on any of my de-funking needs.
  • Dust it with baking soda.
  • LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Once gloves go sour, that's it. You can mask it but it's still there. TitleMMA.com makes a nice smelling disinfectant spray for equipment.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    my hand mits are pushing 10 years now, they have gone pretty 'crunchy' but dont smell _that_ bad.

I just put them in washing machine every few years.