Calcium

Does anyone have suggestions for foods to eat in order to get enough calcium? As a woman in my 20s I hear a lot about how important it is to have calcium in my diet. Being new to Paleo I was wondering if anyone had insight into this that they could share with me. Thanks!

Replies

• I would love to hear an answer on that too!! I'm on the zone now. It was actually one of my concerns for doing paleo - 20s, female, and a runner (so my bones take a lot of pounding and stress fractures are a much bigger risk).
    From what I read, paleo is supposed to be less acidic (through elimination of grains etc.), so less calcium leeches from bones. And even though you take in less calcium, you lose less as well and things balance out?? Hopefully some paleo folks can chime in. :)
  • Pbterra
    Pbterra Posts: 5 Member
    A good multivitamin is very important but also many vegtables don't get the press they should have because they are calcuium rich... kale, almonds, dried figs (dont know paleo or not), arugula, broccoli, and oranges to name a few...

here is an excerpt from an article I just read:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/calcium-food-sources_n_1451010.html#slide=903325
    "But whether you're vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free or just don't like the taste of milk, the truth is that it isn't the only way to work toward your 1,000-a-day. We gathered some of the most calcium-rich foods out there (including many vegan and vegetarian options) -- just be sure to pair each of them with adequate vitamin D intake (the body needs this nutrient to absorb calcium, and milk is already fortified with it). While there's some concern that the body can't absorb enough vitamin D from food sources alone, try to aim for foods such as fatty fish that are rich in the nutrient, says Toby Smithson, a registered dietitian and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics."

Also this article: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-calcium.php
  • bigandbob
    bigandbob Posts: 3 Member
    Aside from a supplement, which I think Jeff recommended women consider taking a Calcium supplement if you're on paleo, I know we try to eat a lot of kale.

A good trick to make sure you're getting enough kale is to make a quick smoothie - it's really fast and easy. We usually use some unsweetened almond milk, a couple of big handfuls of kale, and then a little bit of frozen fruit (usually like strawberries, but bananas are good, and so are blueberries and raspberries). You can also just use water and ice if almond milk isn't your thing. If it's post-WOD, I'll mix my protein powder directly into this smoothie (vanilla protein powder + vanilla unsweetened almond milk + strawberries as my fruit = strawberry-vanilla milkshake!)

It tastes delicious, only takes a few minutes with a blender, and gets a lot of kale into your diet.