Ugh! Just had a bit of a food breakdown!

Options
Only day 2 in the new year....I think this time was out of boredom. I stopped at a local pharmacy to pick up a few things and ended up with Carmel nut clusters. 700 calories that quick. I logged it, but is is pretty typical of me....even when i am doing well. My trainer tries to tell me how to deal with these occurrences, but no matter how much I want to succeed, I still manage to sabotage myself! Any ideas? Help!

Replies

• Pawsfurthought
    Pawsfurthought Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I finally realized that all I do - all that we ALL do - is because in some way we're getting something out of it. Maybe just as simple as a feeling of familiarity (you know, eating is safe, being overweight is safe), these things are old habits and are comfortable and easy for me. Could even be laziness. Or even the surety that I would fail anyway, so why bother. For me, I finally looked that in the eye and told myself I was worth doing something that was scary, that took me out of my familiar comfort zone, and that was hard work. I know it sounds hokey, but I reacted to food breakdowns in myself as I would if I were cheering on my best friend's success...I forgave myself, and made a conscious effort to cultivate the positive feelings I get when I walk by my yummy indulgences. I have gotten to the point where now, I really can (mostly!!) remind myself that no food tastes as good as success feels!!
    :wink: Just what's worked for me!!!
    Most important?? FORGIVE yourself, and move on with your healthy habits!! Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were our eating habits! Takes time to change these!!
    Stay strong!!
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As the other poster said, being overweight, eating those bad foods--those are familiar to us and we as humans like what is familiar. I think the most important thing is to forgive yourself. You will never get ANYWHERE if you cannot learn to forgive yourself. Forgiving is not the same as Approving--you can forgive your actions without approving of them.

And I think the second most important thing is to try to understand WHY it's happening for you, personally, on a deeper level, and figure out how to hopefully control it. Is it emotional eating? Is it the familiarity thing? Is it boredom? I'm not a psychologist but I am aware that I eat emotionally and when I'm bored. So, I'm trying to satisfy my mood problems (depression) by other means--thinking positively, maybe call up a friend or my girlfriend, etc., rather than eat. If I'm eating due to boredom, I'll try to distract myself--admittedly, easier said than done.

Here's what I want to recommend to you and others reading this post: for me, sometimes when I get stressed out (which is way too easily, btw), I binge eat/eat emotionally. So, I'm trying to take a stab at examining the reasons why by learning about CBT--cognitive behavioral therapy. There's a book--"Cognitive Behavioural Therapy For Dummies" which I was reading last night at a bookstore and decided to buy. It has a lot of helpful guidance (to me, at least) on how to examine your behaviors and identify WHERE the breakdown in your behaviors occur. Maybe you're too hard on yourself, maybe you have certain triggers, etc. I would suggest looking into CBT books like this one. CBT has been proven to help extensively, and just because you don't want to or maybe can't afford to pay a psychologist for appointments doesn't mean you can't do it yourself!! See if your local library/bookstore has anything on CBT and take a look through.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Today, I should have drank lots of water...found the cream cheese instead. Blew my diet out of the water. I'll be paying for it tomorrow at the gym. (sigh)
  • hollyjjohnson
    hollyjjohnson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was at a training two years ago where the woman mentioned that when she did something really challenging and totally out of her comfort zone (bungee jumping!!!) -- she found success in other areas of life ("If I can bungee jump from 200 feet up, I can make this call to this difficult client.").

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that facing our fears/challenges and I think that's DEFINITELY the key to success -- and it's a key which I haven't found. Maybe a helping hand can come from doing something out of our comfort zone that's not diet or weight related. For me -- my challenge will be to finally run all the way to the top of a hill that I haven't been able to run up to the top without walking part way.

Someone also mentioned that it's easier to stay in the habit of "I've failed before -- don't know why I think I'll succeed this time." I really believe that when we can find success in one area, it flows over into other areas.

Be BOLD everyone! Good luck.

Holly
  • vduncan78
    Options
    TODAY WAS A REALLY BAD DAY!! I DECIDED TO SLEEP LATE AND THEN WENT TO THE GROCERY STORE HUNGRY. I HADN'T DRUNK A SODA IN 3 WEEKS AND CAVED TODAY AND ALSO BOUGHT MAGIC BAR CANDY AND ATE THE WHOLE PACK I FEEL TERIBLE!!!!! THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENS I DO GREAT FOR DAYS THEN I CAVE IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hate when that happens.

I've begun telling myself I can eat whatever I want, but only AFTER I have had my daily 5 veggies and 2 fruits. Then if I still want it, I can eat it. But guess what? Every time I do that, I end up not eating the crappy thing.

You should watch Hungry for Change. It has completely changed my outlook on food, eating, and why I want to eat crappy food.
  • Divia09
    Divia09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I finally realized that all I do - all that we ALL do - is because in some way we're getting something out of it. Maybe just as simple as a feeling of familiarity (you know, eating is safe, being overweight is safe), these things are old habits and are comfortable and easy for me. Could even be laziness. Or even the surety that I would fail anyway, so why bother. For me, I finally looked that in the eye and told myself I was worth doing something that was scary, that took me out of my familiar comfort zone, and that was hard work. I know it sounds hokey, but I reacted to food breakdowns in myself as I would if I were cheering on my best friend's success...I forgave myself, and made a conscious effort to cultivate the positive feelings I get when I walk by my yummy indulgences. I have gotten to the point where now, I really can (mostly!!) remind myself that no food tastes as good as success feels!!
    :wink: Just what's worked for me!!!
    Most important?? FORGIVE yourself, and move on with your healthy habits!! Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were our eating habits! Takes time to change these!!
    Stay strong!!

Greatly said!
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow, very wise words on this thread! I have taken notes, thanks!!!
  • 1peanutandapumpkin
    1peanutandapumpkin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Habit, and the fact that they're right next to th register. Big trap in the retail world. When I feel that coming on I keep repeating "I don't need it, I don't need it" and it usually works. It's a "want", not a "need". I'm not saying you can't ever have something because if you feel deprived sauccess will be far away. It's OK sometimes, but try to find the balance.