Stair Workout Challenge!!!

Options
Happy Thursday everyone!! I'm so glad that you've been doing so well this past week. Keep at it. I know that the "newness" may have worn off on the challenge, but let's keep the momentum going!

For today's challenge, I found a really great workout using our stairs at home or at work. Although, I would caution you that this will likely cause you to break a sweat, so doing it at work may result in a smelly afternoon! HA!

Here is a link http://exercise.about.com/library/blstaircaseworkout.htm to the challenge! I have it all listed below because I know that some of you had a hard time last week getting to my youtube clips. :-) If you follow the link, there are pictures of each of the exercises.

Don't just do it....tell us how it went and how many calories you burnt!! Can't wait to hear all about it friends!

Staircase Circuit Workout
This Staircase Circuit Workout offers a fast, efficient total body workout and all you'll need is a staircase (or several flights of stairs) and your own body. This workout is a great choice if you want to workout at the office, on the road or you simply want to spice up your usual workouts.

Precautions
See your doctor before trying this workout if you have any injuries, illnesses or other conditions and modify any exercise that causes pain or discomfort.

Equipment Needed
A staircase

How To

Perform the exercises as shown in a circuit, doing one exercise after the other with little or no rest in between exercises
Complete the circuit 1 time for a 15-20 minute workout or 2-3 circuits for a longer, more intense workout
Modify any exercises that cause pain or discomfort
3 minutes: Warm up: Walk up 3-4 flights of stairs at a slow, easy pace. If you only have one flight of stairs, walk up and down for 3 minutes.
1 minute: Walk up the stairs as fast as you can
1 minute: Walk down the stairs at an easy pace
Stair Pushups

Place your hands on a step in front of you (the higher the step, the easier this move will be) and get into a pushup position, body in a straight line from head to heels. Bend the elbows and lower into a pushup, pressing back up and repeating for 16 reps. You can modify by placing a towel or pad on the floor and doing this move on your knees.
Squats to Step

Stand with your back to the stairs and squat until your backside just touches the second step (or as low as you can) for 16 reps.
Step Ups - Right Leg

Place the right foot on the second step of the staircase (or lower, if that feels too high for you), transfer the weight to the heel and push into the heel to come onto the step. Step back down and repeat for 16 reps on the right leg.
Squats to Step

16 reps
Step Ups - Left Leg

Complete 16 reps of the step ups on your left leg.
Triceps Dips

Sit on the bottom stair with your hands just beside the hips. Push up onto the hands and keeping your hips close to the stair, bend the elbows and lower down, keeping the shoulders down until elbows are at 90 degrees. Push back up and repeat for 16 reps.
1 minute: Walk up the stairs, taking them two at a time
1 minute: Walk down the stairs to recover
2 minutes: Walk up the stairs at a slow, steady pace
1 minute: Walk down the stairs to recover
Stair Pushups

16 reps
Split Squats - Right Leg

Stand about 3 or so feet in front of the staircase and place the left leg on the step behind you, resting on the toe. Keeping the weight in the front leg, bend the knees and lower into a lunge until the front knee is at about a 90-degree angle. Push through the front heel to stand up and repeat for 16 reps on the right leg.
Squats to Step

16 reps
Split Squats - Left Leg

Complete 16 reps of the split squats with the left leg forward and the right leg back.
Triceps Dips

16 reps
1 minute: Walk up the stairs, taking them two at a time
1 minute: Run up the stairs as fast as you can
2 minutes: Walk down the stairs and then up again at a slow, steady pace
1 minute: Run up the stairs as fast as you can
2 minutes: Walk down the stairs and then up again at a slow, steady pace

Replies

• this looks like fun!! tomorrow will be perfect. Thanks for caring!! :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    The only stairs I have access to are at work and folks use them to frequently for me to do the workout! Bummer I like this!
  • oAshlio
    oAshlio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am gonna try and do this one, but it might be difficult.We have two sets of stairs in our house-- Three stairs outside leading to the front porch and well, they are kinda covered in ice and snow still, and our very steep ones that lead down to the basement that well, heh, I am kind of afraid of.. but I will find some way to do these and if not these then something simalur! I wont let these obstacles get in my way!
  • alissamoat
    alissamoat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep this for my Saturday workout! Sounds geat¡
  • LusciousLady
    LusciousLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So I think I can do some of this...I actually have a PT job that has a ton of steps..the only thing is I won't be working...Lucky for me its a family business and they won't get mad or fire me. I'm def going to try and do some fo this...
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    thanks for the website it was helpful i'm going to do the best i can with all of these i onlly have 1 flight of stairs in my house. :)
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Come on we can keep momentum and excitement. We are 5 months away from summer and let's give it all we can. I am going to the gym to do my stairmaster glutes once a week routine. I will try this workout later in the evening. Absolutely love it!!! I checked my scale reading and one pound higher which I am staying focus, and I will not get defeated.

Let's go all 50 day challengers. Stay strong and focus!! :flowerforyou:
  • LauraS916
    LauraS916 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! what a great site... I will dust off my old stepper and see how it goes! We can do this!
  • ladams562
    ladams562 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :-( With my back getting messed up this week, I don't think I can do this challenge. It is way better but walking up stairs is one of the things that starts to aggravate it. I may try out the body weight related exercises to see what I can do with that.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Looks like fun, but I’m gonna pass until I’m allowed to jump with the healed ankle.
    Enjoy you MFP 50 Day Challenegrs!!!!!:laugh:
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Since I have been missing most of the challenges I was hoping I would be doing today's challenge, but I don't have any stairs to utilize.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of it yet, but i'll be doing it. Running the stairs in my house is one of the best workouts there is, and one of the most challenging :)
  • zoeygl
    zoeygl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Boy oh boy my heart was a thumping, but I did it! Does anyone know how many calories are burned in one set?
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Can't wait to go home and give it a whirl.
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did it! This was a good full body workout. I am also wondering about how many calories you ladies burned. I listed it as aerobics. Does this sound right?
  • mommy2ajs
    mommy2ajs Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I just finished and I also posted it at aerobics since I did feel it all over.
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great challenge, and thanks for the specific details. Unfortunately, I did not have access to stairs. Instead, I completed the Ageless DVD for legs, along with my regular power walking (Leslie Sansone) video.

Hope everyone is doing well. I know joining this challenge has helped to keep me motivated. :bigsmile: