How did you learn to do a pull-up?

Options
amonkey794
amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
Doing an unassisted pull-up is a fitness goal of mine. I have the upper body strength of a baby rabbit and can at most dangle from the pull-up bars. Assisted pull-ups are even challenging.

We all start somewhere, so where did you start? How did you learn?

This goes for pull-ups and any other exercise/program.

:)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Doing an unassisted pull-up is a fitness goal of mine. I have the upper body strength of a baby rabbit and can at most dangle from the pull-up bars. Assisted pull-ups are even challenging.

We all start somewhere, so where did you start? How did you learn?

This goes for pull-ups and any other exercise/program.

:)

You are a cheeky monkey!

Might want to do negatives, just get yourself up there and slowly lower down in good form.

You'd hate to be running to escape some dart-blowing natives and be unable to pull yourself into the water plane before it takes off, leaving you behind.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I started with using a chair for assistance. Eventually I built up enough strength to be able to do it without a chair! .....I can still only do TWO unassisted lol and the rest I use a chair with. Can't wait till I can make it to three unassisted!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    When I used to do pull-ups, I trained three different ways: at the gym with a machine ( not sure what its called but you kneel on it and add weight to make your body weight lighter).

I also had a pull-up bar on a door at home and I used a therapy ball ( one leg to give me a little bit of unstable assistance. I also used a chair at first.
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a thin guy.

I have a friend in the marines who helped me - and now I can do 20+ pullups.

What you want to do, is have a friend. You jump up to the bar and bend your legs back (like you're kneeling). Cross your feet. Have your friend hold your feet by his/her tummy. They will need a good grip.

You now use your legs (as if you're standing up) to help you pull yourself up.

These are "assisted" by you. You decide how much you can do.

Do 10 of these. Even if all 10 use your legs.

I promise the next week you can do 1 at least.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
  • luv2bfitandhealthy
    luv2bfitandhealthy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump. This is one of my goals too.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I started using a chair and added negative pull ups. Eventually I think this is what helped me do them.

Over 2 years ago I could do 1 at most. Today (actually last Saturday) I can do 12 (or maybe was 13, I can't remember) unassisted pull ups at once.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Negative pull ups, tricep dips, flexed arm hangs, push ups and assisted pull ups, both at home with a chair and at the gym on the machine. At the gym I do what I can do unassisted, then I slowly pile on weight, first plate, go to failure, 2nd, go to failure, etc until I really can't do anymore. It's getting easier.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I started by using the lat pulldown. Right now I'm having a tough time with my overhand, but I started doing PHAT this week and I have some hope that rack chins are going to help get me there.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How do you use the chair ect? Having trouble piecing that one together in my head?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn at home using a doorway bar and resistance bands, decreasing the resistance over time with the eventual aim of being able to do them unassisted.

I can't suggest this as a proven method as I'm still working on it but hope to get there some day.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhwyHYZD0v4

Here's a vid showing a chair assisted pull up. I wouldn't suggest using the back of the chair like this guy is at the beginning. I normally use the "seat" part. The further away the chair is from you, the less leg power you're likely to use.

Idk why this video is 4 minutes long. Sorry.