New/Intro

Options
Hi everyone! I was just invited and thank you for the invite!

I was diagnosed with UC last month. Currently on Asacol, mesalamine, 20mg of prednisone (hoping for 15mg tomorrow!), and VSL #3 daily.

We seem to be getting this flare under control, but then last week I got food poisoning which got me 10 hours in the ER. So...a little setback!

I've stopped concentrating on my weight (even though I'd like to lose 10 pounds, I don't think in the middle of a flare is a good time for that!) and started looking at what I eat and trying to be careful with that. I'm trying to cut out processed foods, and go more for fish and rice and things that are easier on my guts.

I haven't really exercised since this started in June/July, but I kind of feel like I want to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill tonight. We'll see!

Replies

• chefsusan
    chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :smile: Welcome, It is really hard to try to lose weight when you have UC. I have been diagnosed for about 15 years now. Before I found a good GI doctor, it took several years of trying to lose weight the healthy way before I realized that it was the healthy way that was putting me in a flare. I can not eat fresh veggies, fruits(unless it does not have seeds or a skin, and how many fruits and veggies don't have those). They put me on a low residue diet. But every person is different who has UC. Some can eat healthier and other can't. I am on Asacol, Immuran, and Remicade. With a bunch of vitamins that go with it.

Just walking on a treadmill when you feel like it is good. or just plain walking, I know I don't feel like it most days.

Good luck with your UC, Hope they get your flare stopped soon and you start to feel even better.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    welcome, and i hope you feel better soon. UC sucks, but there are disorders that are worse. that's what i tell myself, anyway.
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Aw, be kind to yourself California, give yourself some time to get used to your meds and see how your body reacts to different foods and exercise.

I'm on generic colazal, folic acid, ranitidine and prevalite for the UC and other GI issues and have been in remission for a few years now. I know any time my immune system is challenged even by a little cold, it can flatten me for a week or two.

It's all about finding what works for you. I eat a balance of foods but avoid high fat foods as much as possible. Salads and leafy greens cause distress but I'm ok with seeds and skin-on fruits and veggies.
  • adeboyace
    Options
    I actually have microscopic colitis which is where you cant see the damage or flare up on the colonoscopy but under a microscope the cells are inflammed and aggitated! I have been on steroids, immunosuppresive meds for years-Have been off ~ 1 yr and do ok but I still have flare ups that last up to 2 months. The second I start eating "healthy" my GI tract gets very MAD! LOL Just wondering what tips everyone else has to stay motivated if you cant eat fruits/veggies that are lower calorie.....
  • iuew
    Options
    could be the fiber; high amounts of it can be a trigger. i would also advise to be careful with caffeine. that doesn't mean you can't have fruits and veggies, but there might be certain combinations that aggravate the condition.

of course, my triggers may not be your triggers. since you're here and are probably logging what you eat, look at your food diary. see what corresponds with your flares, and experiment accordingly.

also : are you an ex-smoker?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have UC too. Have had it since around 98. Been on Prednisone tons of times and as a result have osteopenia. Currently on 6MP and Lialda and in remission for about 1.5 yrs. My last flare ended up in the hospital for 5 days. First time ever.

If you need someone to chat with or for questions or support, message me. I don't always check the forums.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I remember my symptoms and the ramp up to my own hospitalization.

My own symptoms started early in February this year, and after two weeks I called to get an appointment; I think by the time I saw my GP, it'd been 4-5 weeks; they wanted to get me in April 20 for a colonoscopy. I made it until April 9th before the symptoms got so bad that I couldn't sleep - I remember going into the ER, figuring out the hard way that I can't do morphine, and then being in the hospital five days before I was discharged.

Was initially put on 40mg prednisone which I was told to taper by 10mg every seven days, and Asacol HD 800mg twice per day which I am still on. They recommended a multi-vitamin, but I bought some pretty standard multis on my own, and recently switched to a twice-a-day one from GNC.

Post-discharge was interesting. It was about three days until I worked out again, and it took a good little while before I could really go full force again.

Keep working at it though people - I seem to have a relatively mild case, but I've noticed staying fit and not stopping has really helped me feel pretty close to normal for the most part.
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have just logged back into myfitnesspal after almost a year off as I have been too poorly with UC to diet/log/exercise etc :( Had an invite to this group when I logged in great to have a support group for losing weight for people that suffer UC :)

How are you all doing? Will read through previous posts later when I have more time - my 2 little ones are awaiting breakfast.

I was diagnosed with UC last May oops no May 2011 (can't say last May any more lol) and have been on every medication possible here in UK which hasn't worked I recently came off Cyclosporin which helped ALOT, as you can only take for 3 months I was then put back on to pred and azathioprine (which before made me vomit thankfully this time it didn't) whilst my consultant applied for funding for the imfleximab infusion. It was granted :) However the aza and pred are helping alot more since the cyclosporin and things have greatly improved for me although not completely better I am so much better than I was this time last year. After spending 2012 in and out of hospital for blood transfusions, iron infusions, blood tests here and there, IV steroids etc I am really hoping now I seem to be on a better road that 2013 will be a better year. I really need to lose my weight as over 2012 I have put on everything I lost in 2011 I feel horrible but refuse to buy new clothes as I spent so much on a brand new wardrobe for my smaller size, I am assuming it is thanks to the steroids and other meds but I need to fight them lol.

Look forward to getting to know you all, Happy New Year to you all and may we all have a great 2013!!!!
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I remember my symptoms and the ramp up to my own hospitalization.

My own symptoms started early in February this year, and after two weeks I called to get an appointment; I think by the time I saw my GP, it'd been 4-5 weeks; they wanted to get me in April 20 for a colonoscopy. I made it until April 9th before the symptoms got so bad that I couldn't sleep - I remember going into the ER, figuring out the hard way that I can't do morphine, and then being in the hospital five days before I was discharged.

Was initially put on 40mg prednisone which I was told to taper by 10mg every seven days, and Asacol HD 800mg twice per day which I am still on. They recommended a multi-vitamin, but I bought some pretty standard multis on my own, and recently switched to a twice-a-day one from GNC.

Post-discharge was interesting. It was about three days until I worked out again, and it took a good little while before I could really go full force again.

Keep working at it though people - I seem to have a relatively mild case, but I've noticed staying fit and not stopping has really helped me feel pretty close to normal for the most part.

I thought the same and tried to stick with working out last year BUT it hurt me so much on my left side (i have left sided UC) - even walking hurt me I was so gutted as I really enjoyed working out - tonight will be my first workout of the year/new diet so really hoping I can do the whole workout (I will start with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred as that gets me into a good rhythm of working out) fingers crossed. Hope your symptoms aren't too bad these day s
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Eek, that is terrible to hear about the effectiveness of the medicines and what all you've had to go through! My own case seems pretty mild - currently the only symptom I have is that I have to take my Asacol HD twice daily. When I had my flare-up, mine was very predominantly left-sided as well. I had damage throughout the colon, but concentrated the most in the sigmoid section.

I definitely remember the despair at being unable to work out during the flare, and I hope your working out and the new year itself goes in a much better direction!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see this group forming as this condition really needs support; I know I do. So many people do not understand what suffers are dealing with. I was diagnosed in 2007 after a partial colonectomy for diverticulitis. I took the Rx Celebrex which triggered my condition. I can relate to what I read from the posts and life can be quite a struggle.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty miserable lately. On sulfasalazine and folic acid, in the bathroom at least once per hour around the clock, with so much cramping and pain that I can barely believe it. I'm not going on prednisone; I watched it destroy both my mother (rheumatoid arthritis) and my doberman. I did the methylprednisolone enemas, and they helped while I was doing them, but I'm out of them now.

Sometimes I just want to go to sleep and not wake up.
  • iuew
    Options
    I'm pretty miserable lately. On sulfasalazine and folic acid, in the bathroom at least once per hour around the clock, with so much cramping and pain that I can barely believe it. I'm not going on prednisone; I watched it destroy both my mother (rheumatoid arthritis) and my doberman. I did the methylprednisolone enemas, and they helped while I was doing them, but I'm out of them now.

Sometimes I just want to go to sleep and not wake up.

i hope that you are feeling better soon.
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I got diagnosed with UC in 2006 with a lot of the same symptoms. I was on rowasa enemas, they worked then, but now I just can do it. So I was put on Lialda 4 pills. It seemed to do the trick. I am currently in remission (hope I didn't jinx myself)
  • iuew
    Options
    I feel your pain, I got diagnosed with UC in 2006 with a lot of the same symptoms. I was on rowasa enemas, they worked then, but now I just can do it. So I was put on Lialda 4 pills. It seemed to do the trick. I am currently in remission (hope I didn't jinx myself)

i'm on lialda, also. it's a bit of an expensive hassle, but not as much of a hassle as laying on the couch, hoping i can make it to the bathroom, and then passing back out on the couch. that was a real low for me.

good luck with your remission.