Benefits of gluten free w/hypo?

Options
AmyFett
AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
I've heard this on a few occasions, that going gluten free would actually be beneficial. I haven't brought it up to my doctor yet, but I plan to. I'm just asking you guys here, if you've tried, has it helped? Like more energy, less bloating feeling, all that good stuff.

I always hated the idea, and still do, of going gluten free, or anything-free, for just the sake of doing it without a good or medical reason, so I don't really want to go about something like this all willy nilly, but we also found out my husband has some medical issues, so chances are likely, he might need to go gluten free anyway.

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    :I've been doing the gluten free thing since New Year's and I have felt much better. Until yesterday. I over-did the gluten free substitutes and paid for it! If you do go that route, go easy with bread substitutes! Otherwise, I lost my holiday weight gain, haven't had any problem with inflammation and just felt overall healthier. It doesn't hurt to try it! :happy:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have Hypo due to Hashimoto's and my Dr. suggested trying a GF diet to help with symptoms. I will admit that I do not always adhere to it. I love low carb tortillas and lots of other sugar free goodies that have gluten in them. However, when I do eat GF, I feel MUCH better!!!! I am not as exhausted, I seem to think more clearly, I am not as bloated, etc. I just feel better. I have put this to the test several times and probably will do so again just because I get weak and end up eating pizza or something else I am not supposed to have.
    That being said.. I also have to follow a low carb diet because of pre-diabetes and insulin resistance so I also stay away from all of the gluten free alternatives (crackers, breads, pasta, etc). If you are not watching carbs then those can provide an alternative to those things that are filled with gluten that you may be missing. I made gluten free brownies just to try them out and they were wonderful. NOT low calorie/low carb by any means, but they were tasty!
    I also get stuck on a plateau and don't lose weight when I allow gluten into my diet.. even if I stay under calories, and eat low carb. Lots of low carb treats are full of gluten. When I cut out the gluten, I lose weight, even when I eat higher calories. If I stick to "natural foods" like meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes (in moderation), etc. then I lose weight. I also eat sweet potatoes and polenta (GF corn meal mush stuff) pretty regularly. The polenta is a good sub for pasta or hot cereal like oatmeal.
    A lot of people will tell you that being GF doesn't make a difference and while that may be true for them, it is the opposite for me. It is very hard for me to stick to but when I do, I feel almost normal. :smile:
    Try it for two weeks or a month. It wont hurt you and you should be able to notice a difference by then. It typically only takes a few days for me to start feeling better once I cut out the gluten. If you decide to try it - do it all the way. Read labels, be careful. Gluten is in so many things that I didn't realize!
  • AmyFett
    Options
    Yeah we just went shopping so I think when this stuff is gone in a few weeks, I might start doing it just to see. As long as my OB says it's okay to try.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yeah we just went shopping so I think when this stuff is gone in a few weeks, I might start doing it just to see. As long as my OB says it's okay to try.

I think you should be ok as long as you are getting enough fiber, protein, calories, etc. I mean... you wouldn't be cutting out anything super healthy for you anyway.
  • AmyFett
    Options

I think you should be ok as long as you are getting enough fiber, protein, calories, etc. I mean... you wouldn't be cutting out anything super healthy for you anyway.

Right, I just don't wanna get *****ed at for doing something without letting them know or something. I definitely eat enough protein and calories for sure. Fiber is hard sometimes, but I'll get there haha. I wish I had thought of this before we went shopping last weekend. At least I can get a couple things this weekend though, after all the yummy NY pizza is all gone from my freezer. hahahaha
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea to discuss this with your doctor first just to see what he/she thinks. For me personally, I found that going gluten-free doesn't really do anything for me. I feel better watching my carbs. I can feel just as sick going over on carbs with gluten-free foods as I can with those that have gluten in them, but I feel great if I simply watch my carbs and make sure I get enough protein.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my second Whole30 (http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/) and find that while I do have more energy, I don't necessarily "feel" any different. That said, it's the only time I've ever been able to lose weight since my TT 18 months ago. It's a great way to eliminate some foods and then gradually add them back in to gauge how you feel. Plus, you only have to commit for 30 days. It's not nearly as difficult as it looks. I get plenty of protein and am still able to average over 35 grams of fiber a day. Basically I trade carbs for high quality fats. I like the idea of gluten free eating because it helps to cut down on calories, but not if you're going to swap cookies for gluten free cookies, bread for gluten free bread, etc.

-Cynthia
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I believe it's not supposed to be helpful with all hypo, but mostly with hashimoto's specifically. And I have this, and I've been gluten free for about a year now, and at school it's much harder and I'm not as strict with it, but I do notice more bloating and less energy when I don't adhere to the GF as much. It definitely helped me, because I had gotten my levels to a pretty good place, but still hadn't really lost weight, and was still feeling icky, and so I tried the GF diet and I lost weight much more easily (probably a lot of it was bloat because my face almost instantly thinned) and I just feel a lot better. I never brought it up with my doctor, I just decided I'll try it and if it makes me feel better I'll do it, I believe there is some connection between gluten intolerance and hashi's because of the autoimmune component. So if you are still really bloated and not feeling great I would say try it, if it doesn't make you feel any better or anything then I would say don't bother sticking to it because there are no documented health benefits (except that it makes it easier to not eat cookies, cakes, breads, etc. which often contribute to weight gain) to a GF diet if it's not needed. Also, often the GF substitues (for things like breads, pastas, cookies, etc) are worse for you than the Gluten counterparts, so just watch that.

That being said, I do have gluten free bread, and gluten free pasta and stuff occasionally, the only thing I would say I have regularly is the bread, but then I have like a piece of toast, or a sandwich, I don't gorge on bread haha so that'll be fine for you too
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I follow Paleo, which is naturally gluten free. I don't buy all the GF products because really, it's just another scheme. I eat whole foods, lots of calories, healthy fats, adequate protein and lots of veggies. I don't eat grains, other than steel cut oats. I also don't eat legumes, seed oils, soy or anything boxed. My meat and other proteins all come from good sources, free of growth hormones, steroids, and antibiotics.

I'm on another Whole30 as well, and was previously doing the Autoimmune Protocol (stricter than Paleo) for a while, during which I felt great. A good resource for this is Balancedbites.com, and a book called Practical Paleo that will show you how to do it for autoimmune disease.

For me, the advantages in how I feel eating this way far outweighs the time it takes to plan and avoid the stuff on the no-no list. I've lost more than 40 lbs at this point, most of which in the first 3 months of eating Paleo. I have better cholesterol, lower body fat, lowered medication, more energy, etc, etc etc. I cannot speak enough about how I eat and how it has changed me completely.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    From what I've read here before (can't find the source, sorry!!) there is often a connection between Hashimoto's and Celiac Disease because they are both autoimmune diseases. Otherwise, someone with hypo having positive effects from going Gluten free is just as likely to happen as someone without hypo.

Personally, i find that gluten sometimes bloats me up and makes the rest of my day very painful (especially in bread/tortilla form) so I try to stear clear of it.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I follow Paleo, which is naturally gluten free. I don't buy all the GF products because really, it's just another scheme. I eat whole foods, lots of calories, healthy fats, adequate protein and lots of veggies. I don't eat grains, other than steel cut oats. I also don't eat legumes, seed oils, soy or anything boxed. My meat and other proteins all come from good sources, free of growth hormones, steroids, and antibiotics.

I'm on another Whole30 as well, and was previously doing the Autoimmune Protocol (stricter than Paleo) for a while, during which I felt great. A good resource for this is Balancedbites.com, and a book called Practical Paleo that will show you how to do it for autoimmune disease.

For me, the advantages in how I feel eating this way far outweighs the time it takes to plan and avoid the stuff on the no-no list. I've lost more than 40 lbs at this point, most of which in the first 3 months of eating Paleo. I have better cholesterol, lower body fat, lowered medication, more energy, etc, etc etc. I cannot speak enough about how I eat and how it has changed me completely.

gluten free is not a scheme, people who have no need to be gluten free try eating that way to be healthier, and that's just stupid because it's not any healthier than any other regular diet, but it's not a scheme if you really do need to eat gluten free, because it's an allergy or an autoimmune disease depending on if you have an intolerance or celiacs. Going gluten free if it doesn't make you feel any better is pointless, but if it does make you feel better, as it seems to with a lot of people with hypo, espeically hashi's, then it's no scheme it's a real thing.
  • Kat9hunter
    Options
    Hashi and gluten sensitivity are connected. If someone is gluten sensitive and eating gluten it causes inflammation in the digestive tract. When inflamed, your digestive tract does not properly absorb nutrients like iron for instance. Thyroid meds will not work effectively without an iron saturation of 35%. So going gluten free could make your meds work better

Kat
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free sometime last year! Made a huge difference with bloating and such. I wasnt hypo at the time though, I was hyper. Now I'm hypo and it still seems to help. I went GF because I have an intolerance. I also started eating Paloe, which made a HUGE difference! I do allow myself some cheats, but I feel it the next day when I do.

If you decide try I hope it helps you!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free almost two years. I haven't noticed any difference actually with my thyroid symptoms but my stomach pains stopped. :)

I went Gluten Free because I'm allergic to wheat.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I believe it's not supposed to be helpful with all hypo, but mostly with hashimoto's specifically.

^^^ This.

The general idea is that, for those with Hashimoto's, going gluten-free helps to calm down the antibodies that are attacking your thyroid.

It doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for many, and is definitely worth a shot.

Have you been tested for autoimmune thyroid disease? This would be a simple blood test for TPO antibodies.