Hoping to run my 1st 1/2 Marathon in May

Options
2»

Replies

• hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last October. I followed Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan, and I was already running 6mi regularly when I started the plan. I followed all the running days exactly but skipped the cross training days half the time and I would say I had ample time to prepare. The regular, planned schedule also helped me improve by pace. I was able to jog the whole half marathon. However, during the race my pace and energy dropped off significantly around mile 9.

That being said, if I did it over I would consider doubling up the last 3-5 weeks of the training plan. Why? Because I think I would have benefited from having more runs over 8 mi under my belt. By the time I did that half, I had only exceeded 8 mi 3 times total and my max run had been 10 mi.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last October. I followed Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan, and I was already running 6mi regularly when I started the plan. I followed all the running days exactly but skipped the cross training days half the time and I would say I had ample time to prepare. The regular, planned schedule also helped me improve by pace. I was able to jog the whole half marathon. However, during the race my pace and energy dropped off significantly around mile 9.

That being said, if I did it over I would consider doubling up the last 3-5 weeks of the training plan. Why? Because I think I would have benefited from having more runs over 8 mi under my belt. By the time I did that half, I had only exceeded 8 mi 3 times total and my max run had been 10 mi.

I totally agree with this. For my next half I plan on running 10-12 regularly -the more you run the distance the easier it is and I feel like my first one didn't have to be nearly so hard as if I'd simply upped my mileage sooner.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K last May, then a 10K in September and a Half in December. I started a 12 week plan from Runners World exactly 12 weeks from race date but was sidelined with an injury for 3 weeks. Totally unexpected of course! I recommend building your base and then starting your plan 16-20 weeks out and doubling up some of the weeks.

Added you as a friend too!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am using the SmartCoach plan from Runner's World, which is customizable (not free), and it starts you at your current mileage. I was already running 21-25 miles per week, with an 8-10 mile run on the weekends, so by the time I run my second half in April, I will have run 13 miles at least 4 times! Should make this half a lot easier - although I will be running a lot faster in the race, so it will still be hard.
  • lauramom0204
    lauramom0204 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My first half is the same day. Pittsburgh! I'd love to chat with someone doing it "with me"!
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half, too! I've found that with running, I need a challenge to keep me motivated. It's definitely going to be a challenge, but so worth it in the end!

Best of luck during your training!
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for my first 1/2 in Fargo, ND in May. Anyone else from the midwest that will be running there as well??
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hello! Congrats on your weight loss OP! I too started running with the discovery of MFP and C25K, then 10K and now I've just started a 16-week half-marathon run clinic at a local shop. I do feel like a newbie still and I thought a half might be too fast too soon but really I just couldn't stop after finishing my 10K training. If all goes well I'm looking to race in June or possibly May, like you. Of course I could use all the advice I could get and I'd be happy just to finish....but I know I want to put in a decent time too haha:D

Best of luck in your training! FR sent:)

Love to meet other runners so feel free to add me!