Weekend Distraction: Dinner Recipes ~ 400 calories

Options
lawyerette
lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
Good afternoon, ladies!

Reading through the posts here and in our newsfeeds this week, several of you have expressed interest in getting new recipes for dinner that are around 400 calories. If you have a delicious, low-fat, low cal RECIPE (not site with recipes) that you can share, that would be a great help as we go grocery shopping this weekend and prepare for Week 2!

Can't wait to see what you all love to eat!

~ Elizabeth <3

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com and emilybites.com are both really good sites
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love crock-pot recipes. One that I just had recently is Asian Beef with Broccoli. Put 1 /12 pounds of boneless chuck steak that is about 1 1/2 inch thick in a crock pot pour 1 can (10.5 oz) beef consume and 1/2 cup of oyster sauce (can substitute stir fry sauce if desired it's still yummy) then cook on high for 3 hours. Combine 2 tbsp of cornstarch and 2 tbsp of cooking oil liquid in a cup. add to crock pot and cook for 15 minutes or until thickened. Once it is done you can add 1 bag (16 ounces) Into the crockpot mix and serve over rice :) I used 1 cup of the beef and broccoli and 1 cup of rice and it came out around 400 calories :) It's really yummy and it makes 4 - 6 servings :)
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Low-Carb Chicken Parmesan

Olive Oil
    3T Garlic, chopped
    1/3 Red or white onion, chopped
    Italian seasoning (parsley, etc.)
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast
    1 Jar (or homemade) Marinara Sauce
    Sliced low-fat mozerella
    Steamed Veggies OR Wheat Pasta

Heat marinara sauce in separate pan on low. In large skillet, saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add pepper and Italian seasonings. Saute boneless, skinless chicken breasts in pan over medium to high heat until cooked through. Pour sauce over chicken and melt one slice of cheese over each breast. Reduce heat the med-low until cheese is throughouly melted. Serve over steamed veggies (low carb) or pasta.
  • xstarriexeyezx
    xstarriexeyezx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am loving frittata at the moment. It is a great snack and you can eat it on its own or with a variety of things and you can have it hot or cold which is fab! It is incredibly simple to make as well!
    For my lowest calorie version whisk up to 8 eggs (depending on the size dish your using; I use 6 for a 20cm square, mid depth dish) and 250 ml skimmed milk in a jug.
    I then add onion, pepper, sweet corn and mushroom but most veg would work with it really.
    Mix it all together and pour it into the dish.
    Sprinkle lot fat cheese on top and bake in the over for around half an hour.
    A quarter of fritta from my dish is approx. 200 cals and I then either have veg, steamed fish or grilled chicken usually in passata.

:) happy cooking.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    This is one of my all time favorites!

Rhapsody in Bleu (Chicken cordon bleu) by Hungry Girl

Ingredients:
    One 5-oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast cutlet
    1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese, room temperature
    1 oz. (about 3 slices) 97 - 98% fat-free ham slices
    salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put chicken in a large sealable plastic bag, squeeze out as much air as you can, and seal. Using a meat tenderizer or a can, carefully pound chicken through the bag until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Remove chicken from the bag, and season to taste with salt and pepper on both sides.

Lay the chicken flat and spread the cheese wedge over it. Evenly layer the ham slices on top of the cheese. Starting with one of the longer sides (or any side, if it's square), tightly roll up the chicken breast cutlet, and secure with toothpicks.

Place chicken roll in a baking dish lined with foil and/or sprayed with nonstick spray, and then cover the baking dish with foil.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the foil covering the dish. Continue to bake (uncovered) for an additional 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 chicken cordon bleu (entire recipe)
    Calories: 222
    Fat: 4.5g
    Sodium: 692mg
    Carbs: 2g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 40g
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few recipes but this one is one of my favorites. It reminds me of an inside-out lasagna.

Baked Ziti with Squash

7 oz uncooked ziti or penne whole wheat pasta
    2 cups marinara sauce (I used Fresh & Easy Marinara with Eggplant)
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 small zuchinni, sliced thin
    1 small yellow squash, sliced thin
    4 cloves garlic, slivered
    2 cups Fat-Free Ricotta
    1 cup low-moisture part skim mozzarella, shredded

* Cook pasta according to instructions but without salt.
    * In a pan, saute the garlic and squashes in the olive oil until softened (about 8 minutes).
    * Add cooked pasta. Add sauce. Mix.
    * Pour into baking dish (I used a deep, round casserole dish). Top with cheeses.
    * Bake at 325 F for 30 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.

1/4 of this recipe is:
    * Cals- 391
    * Fat- 11g
    * Carbs- 47g
    * Protein- 28g
    * Sodium- 826 mg
    * Fiber- 8g
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Here's another one- it sounds weird but omg it's sooooooooo good!

Asian Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
    1/4 cup Trader Joes General Tsao sauce (keep 1 tbs of this separate from the rest of the 1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1/2 beaten egg
    2 tsp raw ginger, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup green onion, diced
    1/2 red bell pepper, diced

Mix all ingredients together, except the reserved tablespoon of sauce. Cover pan (preferably a loaf pan) with foil, or use non-stick spray such as Pam. Put mixture into pan- if your pan is not a loaf pan, simply shape the mixture into a loaf shape (it sticks together well enough for this to be done easily).

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Then top with reserved sauce and bake another 10 minutes.

1/4 of recipe is:
    * Cals- 277
    * Fat- 10g
    * Carbs- 21g
    * Protein- 25g
    * Fiber- 1g
    * Sodium- 514mg
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Okay, one more and then I'll stop bombarding the thread :tongue:

This one is great because it's CHEAP, EASY, FAST!!!!!

Turkey Chili

* 1 lb lean ground turkey
    * 1 medium onion, chopped
    * 1 medium can (14 oz) tomato sauce
    * 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
    * 4 tbsp chili powder (for a slightly spicy chili...use more or less to taste)

If you want a beefy flavor without the cals of beef, you can add a beef bullion cube, but it will add a lot of sodium.

* Brown turkey and onions in a large pan.
    * Add sauce, tomatoes, and chili powder.
    * Simmer

1/4 of recipe is:
    * Cals- 268
    * Fat- 9g
    * Carbs- 19g
    * Protein- 20g
    * Sodium- 815mg
    * Fiber- 7g
  • happyfitgirl
    happyfitgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exploding Chicken Taquitos
    PER SERVING (2 taquitos): 197 calories, 2.5g fat, 594mg sodium, 22.5g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugars, 20.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Prep: 10 minutes
    Cook: 20 minutes
    Chill: 15 minutes

Click to download a printer-friendly version!

One 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) can 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained and flaked
    1/2 cup salsa
    8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
    1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
    Optional dips: additional salsa, fat-free sour cream

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable. Set aside.

Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling. Set aside.

Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Place one tortilla flat on a clean dry surface (keep the rest between the paper towels), and spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube. Secure with toothpicks, if needed, and place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.

Bake in the oven until crispy, 14 - 16 minutes. (Don't worry if they crack and "explode" a little!)

Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove toothpicks, if using. If you like, serve with additional salsa and sour cream for dipping. Enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • Sully16
    Sully16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com and emilybites.com are both really good sites

I second skinnytaste.com. Last week I made the spinach lasagna rolls and the crock pot chicken enchilada soup and both were delish! This week I'm making skirt steak with a corn/black bean salsa and stuffed zucchini boats.

Since it is just me for the month (my fiance is in DC for some military stuff) I can make 2 recipes a week and be able to eat it for lunches and dinners.
  • lawyerette
    Options
    OMG Ladies! You are making me SO hungry. And I still have to hit the gym with Cullen before dinner! Like Ashley, I can't help myself. Here's another one of my low-carb go-tos. If you want, you can eat it in a flour or corn tortilla (or 2), you can. Also, just like fajitas or tacos, you can add or subtract your favorite toppings and adjust your calories based on what you add.

Chicken Fajita Taco Salad

Raw Boneless, skinless chicken tenders (or breasts cut into strips)
    Frontera Classic Fajita Skillet Sauce with chipotle and lime
    Olive Oil
    1 Onion (whatever is your favorite... I prefer white or red) - chopped into large chunks
    Bell Peppers (Cullen likes Green, I prefer red/orange/yellow) - use as much as you like - in thick slices

Saute the onions and peppers in the olive oil in batches, removing to a plate when cooked. In the same oil, saute the chicken strips until fully cooked. Add the Frontera sauce and increase heat until sauce is fully integrated with the chicken and bubbling. Add back in the peppers and onions and simmer on lower heat for a few minutes.

Any salad starts with lettuce. I like romaine and green leaf - you pick - 1 cup chopped

Veggies we usually use include
    -Chopped carrots
    -Celery
    -Diced Tomatoes

Traditional Taco Toppers
    -Olives
    -Shredded lowfat cheese (cheddar, mexican blend, etc.)
    -Sour Cream
    -Avocado

Taco Sauce + Ranch Dressing
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Here's a great one for when it gets warmer. Found it online this morning. It's a little heavy on the fat, but it's fat from the olive oil so it's the kind that helps your body burn the bad fat. Enjoy :)

Pork Tenderloin with Cabbage Apple Salad
    Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m| Total Time: 30m

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 pork tenderloins (1 1/4 pounds total)
    kosher salt and black pepper
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 small Napa cabbage (about 1 pound)—quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
    1 crisp red apple (such as Gala or Fuji), cut into thin wedges
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Directions
    1.Heat oven to 400° F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
    2.Season the pork with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
    3.Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the pork is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
    4.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the vinegar, honey, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
    5.Add the cabbage and apples and toss. Let sit for at least 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Fold in the cilantro and serve with the pork.

Nutritional Information
    Per ServingCalories 321Calories From Fat 42%Protein 32g Carbohydrate 12g Sugar 9g Fiber 2g Fat 15g Sat Fat 3g Calcium 70mg Iron 2mg Sodium 436mg Cholesterol 84mg
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Okay... just one more :)

This one is low carb. Again, the fat comes from olive oil so it's good for you!

Chicken with Spinach and Mushrooms
    Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m| Total Time: 25m

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1 pound button mushrooms, quartered
    1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 bunches spinach, thick stems removed (about 8 cups)

Directions
    1.Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
    2.Cook the chicken until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
    3.Return the skillet to medium-high heat and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook the mushrooms and pepper, tossing, for 3 minutes.
    4.Add the garlic and wine and cook until the mushrooms are tender and the wine is nearly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
    5.Toss in the spinach and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken.

Calories 295Fat 11g Sat Fat 2g Cholesterol 94mg Sodium 615mg Protein 38g Carbohydrate 7g Fiber 2g
  • lawyerette
    Options
    And one with beef. Last one for now :)

(Also online source)

Steak with Golden Zucchini
    Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 25m| Total Time: 25m
    Ingredients
    6 teaspoons olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds strip steak
    kosher salt and pepper
    1 1/2 pounds small zucchini, halved lengthwise
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, cilantro, or basil)
    2 tablespoons bread crumbs

Directions
    1.Heat 3 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
    2.Cook the steak to desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
    3.Meanwhile, return the pan to medium heat and add 2 teaspoons of the oil. Season the zucchini with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
    4.Cook the zucchini, cut-side down, covered, until browned and tender, about 6 minutes. Cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces and divide among plates.
    5.In a bowl, combine the lemon zest, garlic, herbs, bread crumbs, and remaining oil. Sprinkle the mixture over the zucchini and serve with the steak.

Calories 321Calories From Fat 39%Fat 14g Sat Fat 4g Cholesterol 68mg Sodium 478mg Carbohydrate 7g Fiber 2g Sugar 3g Protein 42g