projects

Options

Replies

• hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Currently waiting for project money......

I've it parked at the side of the house. It say college abuse (reduced funds) lent it to a TALL roomate a few times who hastened the seat breaking, and has had a semi-rough life.

Looked to sell it once, but the wife said, "You can't sell my boyfriend's car!" LOL

Plans are to punch it out to a 331 (once had a 70 351 windser planned, even recent toyed with putting in a coyete) a small amount of boost (turbo or charger). Still has the 4bbl holley.

Suspension, powertrain, body, transmission......
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Currently waiting for project money......

I've it parked at the side of the house. It say college abuse (reduced funds) lent it to a TALL roomate a few times who hastened the seat breaking, and has had a semi-rough life.

Looked to sell it once, but the wife said, "You can't sell my boyfriend's car!" LOL

Plans are to punch it out to a 331 (once had a 70 351 windser planned, even recent toyed with putting in a coyete) a small amount of boost (turbo or charger). Still has the 4bbl holley.

Suspension, powertrain, body, transmission......
    A coyote swap would be too sweet, but also quite spendy! Ever looked at a 429/460 swap? They drop right into the fox body chassis, aftermarket parts are abundant, and they make stupid power.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

A coyote swap would be too sweet, but also quite spendy! Ever looked at a 429/460 swap? They drop right into the fox body chassis, aftermarket parts are abundant, and they make stupid power.

I have a 460 and my plan is to swap it into a SN95 or S197 chassis. The 460 is ( dimensionally ) smaller than the mod motors, so they really do just fall in.
  • tigerblood78
    Options

I have a 460 and my plan is to swap it into a SN95 or S197 chassis. The 460 is ( dimensionally ) smaller than the mod motors, so they really do just fall in.
    One of my proudest moments is the photo in my ticker of my 460-powered 83 Cougar(fox chassis) beating an 04 Terminator Cobra at the drag strip. I have 5.0 badges on the car, so he was not happy that he was beaten by a "302" powered car. After the race I had the hood off to let it cool down, and he comes over and says"Damn, I've never been beaten by a 302 before!" I didn't bother to tell him it wasn't a 302. I figured, he's driving a Ford, he should know the difference!
  • tigerblood78
    Options
    Untitled.jpg

Here's my son helping me screw a 460 together.

edit: I'm having a helluva time getting photobucket to resize this pic to something that will show up here.
  • jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    Options
    Just picked up an '82 Honda Magna to tinker around with and ride in the summer...So far I have lowered the front end of it and replaced the stock bars. Next up is to clean/rebuild the carbs and possibly new pipes
  • dinosnopro
    Options
    Untitled.jpg

Here's my son helping me screw a 460 together.

edit: I'm having a helluva time getting photobucket to resize this pic to something that will show up here.

That's Great. I think more parents should get there kids involved.jill61-603505-albums-emoticons-pic61295-th-smiley-two-thumbs-up.gif&sa=X&ei=Fo8iUJLxO8XnyAGWh4D4BQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc4EQ&usg=AFQjCNHxtFJ3t2dqsYzXIRmOGvrRxopseA
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    gotta be ready for spring of 13. Cars been down for 2 years. Ive been lazy and not drag racing. Ready to start the new mill. Dart block, TFS heads from TEA. Vortech YSI. Its a grudge car so not gonna let too much out. Mustang with coilovers in the front, Team Z motorsports rear. Auto with a brake. When it runs its quick enough to need a 10 point cage and a license.
  • dinosnopro
    Options
    gotta be ready for spring of 13. Cars been down for 2 years. Ive been lazy and not drag racing. Ready to start the new mill. Dart block, TFS heads from TEA. Vortech YSI. Its a grudge car so not gonna let too much out. Mustang with coilovers in the front, Team Z motorsports rear. Auto with a brake. When it runs its quick enough to need a 10 point cage and a license.

Sounds awesome. I'm still on the hunt for a mustang project. I'm torn between a classic ( 65'-70' fastback , my wife has expensive taste) restoration, or doing a big block swap in a newer ( 99' - 06 ) mustang.
  • therealsuperbigrob
    Options
    @dino
    the ups to the big block car are easy to figure out. More cubes more power, big block torque. sound good look cool in the car. easy sway. old trucks have lots of of 460's for parts. A460 blocks will handle 1000 hp.
    the down side is in a mustang that they all run hot. Cant drive on the street for long because there is not enough front facia to pull air through to keep cool. I have several guys around here with them from mild to nasty and all have the same problem with heat.
  • therealsuperbigrob
    Options
    @wrecks, if you know the lenght of spring you need for your strut you can order a coilover that uses a factory strut. They are sold in the summit catalog and jegs. you take apart your strut, put a sleeve over it then a new spring with a cap that makes it ride height adjustable. fairly inexpensive. takes a slight mod to top of the strut, needs a little grinding to get the sleeve to slide over. To get an idea look in the mustang section of a summit racing mag. Then look into suspension and find your spring rate. If this sounds confusing its 2am and I cant sleep sorry.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have my 2000 Camaro SS that I'm hoping to have street/strip ready this summer. There's a stripped down 68 Cuda in the backyard. The engine is in the garage waiting to be reassembled once it's warmer out. My dirt bike always seems to be a project, lol. And I'm hoping to get my hands on a project 69 GTO Judge in the next couple of weeks. ::fingers crossed:: :-D
  • dinosnopro
    Options
    I have my 2000 Camaro SS that I'm hoping to have street/strip ready this summer. There's a stripped down 68 Cuda in the backyard. The engine is in the garage waiting to be reassembled once it's warmer out. My dirt bike always seems to be a project, lol. And I'm hoping to get my hands on a project 69 GTO Judge in the next couple of weeks. ::fingers crossed:: :-D

Your going to have to post some pictures. I passed on a 69' mustang fastback earlier this winter, he was in no hurry to sell so the negotiations were not in my favor. LOL
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Bummer. :-( I dislike sellers unwilling to reasonably deal. Negotiating is part of the fun. My Camaro and dirt bike are in my profile pictures. No pics of the cuda yet cause it looks like a pile still and is currently buried under lots of snow. It's one of those looooooong term projects.
  • yawning_cat
    yawning_cat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad i found this group talking diet all the time wears thin so nice to see some fellow car nuts :-)

Im based in the UK and heavily in to the drag race scene and really hope one day to venture from the UK to Bonneville speed week and also get to Bakersfield to witness a true cacklefest!

Drag race scene is pretty cool in the UK with three tracks in regular use, Im base near the Stratford-on-Avon track, Shakespeare County Raceway where i do a lot of photography supplying images to the likes of custom car magazine my website if you love petrol related stuff is www.yawningcatphotography.com.

Im currently in the process of building a '54 Ford Anglia (US) Popular (UK) I built it originally and used it a lot running 13 second quarter mile times and also going to get the shopping in it after, it met its death in 2007 July floods that swamped the UK so after much fighting with insurances i managed to keep it and am now doing a massive re-build, it will run a small block chevy motor with tunnel ram set up and twin holleys.

The build thread can be seen on : http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/ford-pop-re-build-begins-72025 to get the full story.

I also own two classic Fiat Pandas' (one for each foot) and a 125cc Kymco Cruiser which i love dearly and will soon gain a new paint job of purple and metalflake!

Fell free to add me fellow petrol heads, i log in here every day :-)
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Awwwe, your hotrod is sooo cute!!! I bet it ate the competition for breakfast! :bigsmile: So sorry to hear it was damaged after all that work you put into it. Auto insurances are so evil. I assume they tried to total out your baby. Good for you for putting up a fight to keep it!

Btw, you're an awesome photographer. I really liked your collection of Ladies who Launch. The drag scene in my town is next to nothing, unless you wanna race some high school kids with rice burners at a stop light. However, if I drive 2.5 hours I can go the Brainard International Speedway. I'm hope to go there for the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals this summer!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My current project is a 1973 Super Beetle.
    I have had quite a number of V8 cars (and still have my 37 Chevy) but, my goal is to get this little beetle into the 13s and remain a daily driver.
    It currently has a 1600CC duel port and I am on the look out for a good type 4 engine to get stroked to 2250CC's
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Well, I finally got the Beetle running.
    I had to rebuild the carb and then do a complete basic tuneup.
    The coil wire had a few bund spots where it rubbed against the exhaust manifold so I spliced in a new one.
    The "fat chick" now runs great.
    It hits 70 MPH without breaking a sweat. I know 70 is not much but, a 40 year old car with 50 HP on the stock motor......
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Way to go! I bet it feels very rewarding seeing it run again. :-) What's next on the project list for the bug?
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Way to go! I bet it feels very rewarding seeing it run again. :-) What's next on the project list for the bug?
    I am picking up a used front suspension (wheel to wheel) from Miami this weekend. I am plan on rebuilding it and putting disl brakes on the front and, once it is all finished, bolt it up get it aligned.
    Mine is all origonal which would be cool except, the ball joints, springs, struts, ect are all 40 years old!

And as long as I have the front end dropped out, I am going to fix a few spots of rust under the "trunk" area (remember, the trunk is in the front)