Replies

• PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I keep chicken breasts loaded in my fridge and freezer... because

1) they are quick and easy to cook with very little prep
    2) great source of protein
    3) very lean, and tasty if you cook it right
    4) only 160 calories for 4 oz breast (I usually eat TWO)

a couple hints -

1) thaw your breast, then spray lightly with canola oil spray (you can use olive, but it can burn easier)... then start baking in the oven with a small potato... after 10 minutes flip the breast.... after 20 minutes, flip it again, and brush 2 tbsp of any old BBQ sauce over the top, flip the potato about now... (BTW, the type of BBQ with a little vinegar makes it more tender)... keep baking for another 10-15 minutes until fully cooked ... your potato should be done too..

3) I usually will take 4-5 breast and make a marinade in a zipbag... I like the ones from McCormick, about a $1 at Walmart... I tend to make them a little different though... I use Frank's Hot Sauce to spice it up a little, I usually add an equal amount of apple juice with the water, AND the vinegar... I add a little chili powder, some red pepper flakes, and then shake the baggy.....

The meat you cut into either width slices of the breast about 1" thick, but usually a chunk is 1"x 1" to 1" x 3"... then throw all the chunks in the zipbag, get rid of the air, and into the fridge overnight...

This whole process takes about 10 minutes max... but I can use that chicken for a lot of things.... you just cook it up in a frying pan, no need to add anything, it cooks up quick, let it rest a couple minutes (don't over cook)... then use like this:

1) put it in a tortilla with some lettuce and ranch dressing or BBQ
    2) eat it with some steamed veggies and rice
    4) shred the chunks and make a chicken sandwich
    5) I'll sometimes turn it into a little Kungpao chicken by adding a little BBQ sauce, peanuts, and mild chopped red peppers in the wok or frying pan and stir-frying... (again, no need for much oil to do this)... then eat with rice or all alone.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I keep chicken breasts loaded in my fridge and freezer... because

1) they are quick and easy to cook with very little prep
    2) great source of protein
    3) very lean, and tasty if you cook it right
    4) only 160 calories for 4 oz breast (I usually eat TWO)

a couple hints -

1) thaw your breast, then spray lightly with canola oil spray (you can use olive, but it can burn easier)... then start baking in the oven with a small potato... after 10 minutes flip the breast.... after 20 minutes, flip it again, and brush 2 tbsp of any old BBQ sauce over the top, flip the potato about now... (BTW, the type of BBQ with a little vinegar makes it more tender)... keep baking for another 10-15 minutes until fully cooked ... your potato should be done too..

3) I usually will take 4-5 breast and make a marinade in a zipbag... I like the ones from McCormick, about a $1 at Walmart... I tend to make them a little different though... I use Frank's Hot Sauce to spice it up a little, I usually add an equal amount of apple juice with the water, AND the vinegar... I add a little chili powder, some red pepper flakes, and then shake the baggy.....

The meat you cut into either width slices of the breast about 1" thick, but usually a chunk is 1"x 1" to 1" x 3"... then throw all the chunks in the zipbag, get rid of the air, and into the fridge overnight...

This whole process takes about 10 minutes max... but I can use that chicken for a lot of things.... you just cook it up in a frying pan, no need to add anything, it cooks up quick, let it rest a couple minutes (don't over cook)... then use like this:

1) put it in a tortilla with some lettuce and ranch dressing or BBQ
    2) eat it with some steamed veggies and rice
    4) shred the chunks and make a chicken sandwich
    5) I'll sometimes turn it into a little Kungpao chicken by adding a little BBQ sauce, peanuts, and mild chopped red peppers in the wok or frying pan and stir-frying... (again, no need for much oil to do this)... then eat with rice or all alone.

I love it! Thanks for all the helpful tips! I am definitely going to be using your suggestions to get my protein in and save time too! Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • LeighAnnaMS
    Options
    These are free soups! I make batches, seperate into one portion sizes and freeze, anytime I'm hungry, I will reheat a portion and enjoy, or have as a starter or side

Cabbage Borscht
    6 large onions
    2 Cans Tomatoes
    1 Medium Cabbage
    2 Sweet Peppers (Green, Yellow, Red, Orange)
    2 Onion Soup Mix
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Parsnip
    Season to Taste - I don't put any extra seasonings and I love it!

Cover with water and simmer for 3 hours
    Fast Emergency Soup
    California Style Vegetables or Winter Blend Frozen Vegetables
    add to V-8 or Tomato Juice or Chicken Broth (OXO and Knorr are okay) heat and season :happy:
    Curried Squash Soup
    1 large butternut or buttercup squash
    1 large onion
    2 zucchini
    1/4 lb mushrooms
    1 tbsp curry powder
    8 cups chicken stalk
    1/2 tsp salt
    Cut squash in half, place cut down in bowl with a little water and microwave about 8-10 mins on high. Scoop out flesh and discard skin. Chop onion, slice zucchini, and mushrooms, place all vegetables in a large pot, add chicken stock, curry and salt. cook until all vegetables are tender. Puree and adjust seasonings to taste.
    Creamy! Cauliflower Broccoli Soup
    2 heads cauliflower
    4 broccoli heads
    1 large onion (diced)
    2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
    1 parsnip
    12 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
    1 1/2 tsps herbs de provance
    pepper to taste

Sautee onions and garlic in 3 tsps of stock. Add carrots for 5 mins on medium light. Add one head of Cauliflower chopped up, and 2 heads of broccoli. add stock and seasonings, simmer for 1 hr. Puree all. Pour soup back into pot, then add other head of cauliflower (cut into florets) and the other 2 heads of broccoli (cut into florets). simmer for another 15-20 mins.
  • 6mimi
    Options
    These are free soups! I make batches, seperate into one portion sizes and freeze, anytime I'm hungry, I will reheat a portion and enjoy, or have as a starter or side

Cabbage Borscht
    6 large onions
    2 Cans Tomatoes
    1 Medium Cabbage
    2 Onion Soup Mix
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Parsnip

Fast Emergency Soup
    add to V-8 or Tomato Juice or Chicken Broth (OXO and Knorr are okay) heat and season :happy:
    Curried Squash Soup
    1 large onion
    2 zucchini
    1/4 lb mushrooms
    1 tbsp curry powder
    8 cups chicken stalk
    1/2 tsp salt
    Cut squash in half, place cut down in bowl with a little water and microwave about 8-10 mins on high. Scoop out flesh and discard skin. Chop onion, slice zucchini, and mushrooms, place all vegetables in a large pot, add chicken stock, curry and salt. cook until all vegetables are tender. Puree and adjust seasonings to taste.
    2 heads cauliflower
    4 broccoli heads
    1 large onion (diced)
    1 parsnip
    pepper to taste

Sautee onions and garlic in 3 tsps of stock. Add carrots for 5 mins on medium light. Add one head of Cauliflower chopped up, and 2 heads of broccoli. add stock and seasonings, simmer for 1 hr. Puree all. Pour soup back into pot, then add other head of cauliflower (cut into florets) and the other 2 heads of broccoli (cut into florets). simmer for another 15-20 mins.

Thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou: These soup recipes sound perfect for these freezing days many of us are having. Yummy!
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs

11/2 pounds lean ground turkey
    1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 egg whites
    2 4 slices whole-grain bread, no sugar added, toasted and processed in food processor for bread crumbs
    1 (18-ounce) jar marinara sauce, no sugar added

Mix together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Shape meat into balls just slightly smaller than a golf ball, and place in bottom of slow cooker (no liquid, no oil). They should all fit snuggly in a single layer in a 5-quart slow cooker. But if you have a smaller cooker, then simply layer the meatballs between sheets of parchment paper, cut to fit your insert. Cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until internal temperature of the meat reaches at least 165°.
  • jahenry17
    jahenry17 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am planningto make this for dinner tonight

Garlic Shrimp wwith white beans

Shrimp is high in protein and selenium, a mineral that aids in recovery. If you use frozen shrimp, save the liquid from thawing and swap it for some chicken broth.

1 pound medium peeled and deveined shrimp
    4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon pimenton (smoked paprika)
    3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
    1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    1 bay leaf, broken into pieces
    1 14.5-ounce can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained
    1 cup chicken broth
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and pimenton. Add shrimp to skillet; sauté 1 to 2 minutes; add half the garlic the last few seconds of cooking. Spoon shrimp into a bowl and set aside. Return skillet to heat; add 2 tablespoons oil, pepper flakes, bay leaf, and remaining garlic. Cook till garlic is golden, a few seconds. Add tomatoes; cook till most of the liquid evaporates, 2 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook till tomato mixture darkens. Add beans and broth; simmer till it's a thick stew, 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and parsley; cook till heated through. Drizzle with remaining oil. Serves 4.

Calories per serving: 436
    Carbs: 37 G
    Fiber: 9 G
    Protein: 35 G
    Fat: 17 G
  • jahenry17
    Options

Cabbage Borscht
    6 large onions
    2 Cans Tomatoes
    1 Medium Cabbage
    2 Onion Soup Mix
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Parsnip

Fast Emergency Soup
    Curried Squash Soup
    1 large onion
    2 zucchini
    1/4 lb mushrooms
    1 tbsp curry powder
    8 cups chicken stalk
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 heads cauliflower
    4 broccoli heads
    1 large onion (diced)
    1 parsnip
    pepper to taste

I can't wait to make the curried squash soup. I think that I will make a pot of that tonight as well. YUM!
  • jahenry17
    Options
    I love these!:heart:

Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

1 cup walnuts (120 g)
    1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g)
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    3-4 tbsp cocoa powder (or even Dutch cocoa)
    optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add it)
    optional: chocolate chips or even a piece of a chocolate bar or baking chocolate
    Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc. (No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once in my MB. Form into bars. It might help to put dough in a plastic bag and close the bag, then shape into a bar. (Feel free to experiment with different nut combinations. I often sub almonds or cashews for some of the walnuts.)

Sound delicious!
  • jahenry17
    Options
    Just sampled the oatmeal banana cookies. They are great!! We are peanut butter lovers so I melted a tablespoon and drizzled it on. So good. Next time I will just mix it in. I took a pic but I don't know how to share it.

I'm glad you liked them. I love how easy they are to make and that you don't feel guilty if you get a little carried away with eating them. I haven't tried the peanut butter idea but I am going to. I think with that protein it will balance it out perfect!

Do you guys know how many calories are in a cookie?
  • carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bacon Ranch Dip

8 oz. greek yogurt
    1/2 cup daisy light sour cream
    2 Tbsp. real bacon bits
    1 1/2 tsp. hidden valley ranch dry mix

Mix all ingredients together, serve with fresh vegetables. serving size -2 TBSP.
  • carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Chicken Parmesan

4-6oz. chicken breasts
    1 cup Italian style tomato's
    1 cup spaghetti sauce
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    salt&pepper

In 9x9 baking dish, add chicken breasts salt and pepper,top chicken with Italian tomato's and bake 350* for 35-45 minutes or until done. top with spaghetti sauce and cheese bake another 5-8 minutes. Serve.

I serve over spaghetti squash or grilled summer squash onions and mushrooms, your choice.Makes 4-servings.
  • jahenry17
    Options
    Here is another fav: Roasted Fennel and Cauliflower soup

1 head fennel

2 tsp EVOO, plus more to coat the fennel

salt and pepper

1 cup diced yellow onion

4 cloves garlic

1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets

3 cups veggie stock

Preheat oven to 350. Cut fennel stalks and cut them into 1/4 inch pieces, set aside. Cut the fennel bulb in 1/2 and coat with a little EVOO and salt and pepper. Roast cut side down for 30-40 minutes until tended and browned. let cool and cut into large chuncks.

In pot, heat the EVOO to medium and add onion and fennel stalks and a healthy pinch of salt. Cook for 4-6 minutes and then add garlic and cook for another 4-6 minutes. Add the other veggies and the stock, bring to simmer and cook for 20 minutes until cauli and potatos are tender. Puree in blender, food processor or with a handheld blender.

S&P to taste.

TIP***** If you want to be extra healthy, skip the potato. It is just as good and it helps to cut calories and starch.
  • jahenry17
    Options
    Another one: Chicken and white bean soup

Warning, you will want to double this recipe. It is SO good and everyone in your house will eat it.

1 T butter
    4 chicken breasts
    1 onion (diced)
    3 carrots (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    14 oz chicken broth
    1 T chicken bouillon granules
    1 t ground cumin
    1/4 t ground red pepper
    2 16 oz cans of Great Northern beans (rinsed and drained and divided in half)
    4.5 oz chopped green chiles
    2 T flour
    1/2 C milk
    1/4 C chopped cilantro

In stockpot melt the butter. Add the onion, chicken, carrots and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bouillon, cumin and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in 1/2 the beans and the chiles. Mash the remaining beans in a bowl. Whisk the milk and flour together and stir into the beans. Add bean mixture and cilantro to soup and cook for 10 minutes.

I don't add the chicken like the recipe calls for. I add cooked, shredded chicken at the end. I also usually add a little more broth and use 3 cans of beans. I often skip the bouillon granules and it makes no difference. I have also skipped the flour and it still is good.
  • 6mimi
    Options
    I'm excited!! All of these recipes sound so good!! A BIG thank you to everyone!! I know I will be making all them!
    @jahenry17 - I don't remember the calories and I guess it would depend on how big you make them. If you make them like a cookie I usually make 6 or so in a batch, but I have also made them into larger energy bar shapes too.

*Tomorrow I will count them up to see whose recipe I am making first for my profile picture. Man, you guys get all the good prizes around here!:laugh:
  • jahenry17
    Options
    I'm excited!! All of these recipes sound so good!! A BIG thank you to everyone!! I know I will be making all them!
    @jahenry17 - I don't remember the calories and I guess it would depend on how big you make them. If you make them like a cookie I usually make 6 or so in a batch, but I have also made them into larger energy bar shapes too.

*Tomorrow I will count them up to see whose recipe I am making first for my profile picture. Man, you guys get all the good prizes around here!:laugh:

@6mimi, I made them tonight with the PB drizzle that bokatok recommended. YUM!! They were about 75 calories per and worth every bit.
  • 6mimi
    Options
    I must try that with the PB! Maybe even now for after weigh in! I have an awesome energy bar recipe somewhere that is a little like it. If I can find it I will post it later. It has oats, chocolate chips, applesauce, bananas and dried cherries. I swear, I think they are so good I thought about opening my own business. No joke.... "Mimi's Morsals"!:tongue: And then I remembered I have no time. Thanks for passing along the info!
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Chickpea blondes! :)
    Genius Chocolate-Chip Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    level 1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (See note below, for substitutions)
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup ground flax or quick oats (20g)
    1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source) (see nutrition link below, for lower-cal options)
    optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Optional: for “prettiness” you can stick some chocolate chips on top of the batter as well. Bake for around 30 minutes. They’ll look a little undercooked when you take them out, but they firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.
  • bokatok
    bokatok Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Chickpea blondes! :)
    Genius Chocolate-Chip Blondies

Yes I will be trying these.
  • bokatok
    bokatok Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Here is another fav: Roasted Fennel and Cauliflower soup

I need a new cauliflower recipe. One can only eat so much roasted.
  • 6mimi
    Options
    My poor family never knows what is coming! Chickpea blondies, black bean brownies.... there is always a secret ingredient. :tongue: