Not the most important reason

Options
casi_ann
casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
For those who make clothes by sewing, knitting or crocheting, do you find it harder or more expensive to make things because of being over weight. I know I do. I am 100 pounds overweight though. It is so frustrating finding a pattern that is right for me. I have to take it out all over. I can't wait to get to a normal size. And if i want to knit a sweater it cost a fortune. It even costs more to buy enough fabric to make things for me. It will be so nice to go to the store and buy fabric and or yarn to make things and pay what i should be paying because i am the size i should be. And, I know it will look better on me if i'm a normal size as well. This isn't the most important reason for me getting to a normal weight for my size, but it is very important to me.

Replies

• shawls1
    shawls1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, and no.

I've been knitting since I was 7, and sewing steadily since high school. I've always been hard to fit in one way or another, so for me, sewing was a way to have clothes that fit me properly, and were the color/style/etc., I wanted.

I haven't made a lot of clothes for myself in quite some time, but I have been back into sewing because my daughter has trouble with fit. She isn't overweight, but she has a long torso AND a long rise......and a bust line.

She actually has lovely proportions, but it is almost impossible for her to find certain things that are long enough in the body AND cover everything that needs to be covered.

It costs more in material or yarn. Yes. But.....if it fits well, and is flattering, it saves you money misspent in the constant quest to find something that looks acceptable.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like you are a really good sewer. I'd love to be so good that it wouldn't matter. My proportions are real off for my short 5'2" height and none of the patterns come very close. I even took classes to help me and the teachers screwed up most of the time. So, I'm hoping once i lose weight i'll only have one or two changes not having to change everything on the pattern