Ironman races versus Ironman DISTANCE races

Options
vtate75
vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
What are your thoughts on ultras (Ironman distance) races that are not sponsored by Ironman. I am interested for a few reasons. 1) They are cheaper. 2) They don't fill up as fast. 3) There are some closer to home.

SO??? THOUGHTS??? I am doing my first HIM in May, and I want to have an Ironman goal for late 2013 or 2014. I don't know if I will feel like I am cheating myself if I don't do Ironman.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question to my local tri club this past season (I was contemplating a couple of IM branded races). EVERYONE said the ONLY benefit is the prestige.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My first one was Ironman Louisville but other than the medal, not much will be different. You're still going 140.6 miles, which is the Iron distance, which in turn makes you an Ironman. Do the race you are comfortable with.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The one thing I hear from people who have done both is that the crowds will be different. IM branded races bring a certain atmosphere with them that non branded races just don’t. With an IM branded race you will have people there from the gun until well past midnight. With non branded races you just don’t get that.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The one thing I hear from people who have done both is that the crowds will be different. IM branded races bring a certain atmosphere with them that non branded races just don’t. With an IM branded race you will have people there from the gun until well past midnight. With non branded races you just don’t get that.

THAT is something I've read. I think there are a few BIG ones that have big crowds, but those are the more established one. I am thinking of Beach to Batteship in Willmington, NC.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

THAT is something I've read. I think there are a few BIG ones that have big crowds, but those are the more established one. I am thinking of Beach to Batteship in Willmington, NC.

That is an awesome race from what I read. I would imagine the crowds there are good.
  • girlsrun
    Options
    Beach to Battleship is an awesome race!!! I did IMFL 2008. The next year I went to support friends at B2B and it's great!! I do agree that the Mdot brand races have a certain vibe but you pay for it! I hate signing up a year in advance. I was reg. for IMFL again last year but the family moved across country and I could not train through all the stress and the move. 140.6 is 140.6. I would do any race that fits your schedule and your budget.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The finish line was way better at Texas Ironman vs. Great Floridian 140.6, but that was the only difference for me! I still felt like an ironman after finishing Great Floridian! Either way, you know you are out there doing something great! :)
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options

I have lots of good things about the Beach to Battleship race from my tri club
    The other popular HIM in this area is at White Lake NC. Heat seemed to be the biggest complaint of the race last year, however the race has been back up to April, so it shouldn't be a factor
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I have lots of good things about the Beach to Battleship race from my tri club
    The other popular HIM in this area is at White Lake NC. Heat seemed to be the biggest complaint of the race last year, however the race has been back up to April, so it shouldn't be a factor

WhiteLake is not IronMan brand. And it was AWFUL. I blocked out the half I did there and did an Olympic there the following year and UGH. If I ever step foot on that redneck lake I will die...awful awful awful.
    Ive done only Augusta as far as Iron Man brand. My DH just did Florida full. We did OuterBanks, WhiteLake, and looking at Cedar Point this year. My Iron Man if I do one will more likely be Wilmington Bc of proximity and time. I would consider VineMan and Wisconisin.
    I dont care about the name. Im not going to medal or ever qualify for Kona so it doesnt have to be IronMan for me. The crowd support, volunteers and everything was top knotch at Florida and Augusta. OuterBanks and WhiteLake are very quiet and use boy scouts and anyone with a pulse to help out and no one is out cheering
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Just from being a spectator and looking in, I say you have to go with Ironman branded race...
  • jds916
    jds916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing to consider is the race support. I'm signed up for the new IM Canada Whistler. My First. But I did Lake Steven IM brand 70.3 and a non-IM brand 70.3 this year. The difference was on race support. For IM Brand, there was water/nutrition every 15 miles on the bike, and about every 1.5 mile (2 loops) on the run. For the non-IM, there was 1 water station on the bike, and 2 on the run. It's just a pain to have to carry all your own nutrition for 140.6 miles. That would be the biggest thing I'd check before a non-IM brand race.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    It really depends on the group putting on the race.

I've heard both amazing things, and horror stories based on who puts on the race.

I was waiting to see what happened to Ironman Canada since the old course is in my backyard, but the Challenge Group, from what I've read is FANTASTIC and so I decided to go with Challenge Penticton since it was easier to get into and they've done so well in Europe. There is a large following of volunteers sticking around as well! :D

Do your research and pick a race where people have great experiences, REGARDLESS of the brand, unless you want to qualify for kona anyways. :p