Newbie at EMTWL..Need positive Reinforcement

Options
shocktastic
shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
Sorry post is long insight, encouragement or if you think I am doing something wrong please tell me.

So I have been doing some research thru MFP and trying to figure out why I have been gaining again and not losing..
My story: I started MFP last June 1st at 1200 calories (sometimes eating back exercise calories) and doing mainly cardio and lost about 15lbs by October. I started at 5'6 and 158-160ish. I got down to 143 in October and then everything just stopped. So I tried incorporating different workouts..30 DS and Turbo FIre not completely committed but still 4-5 x a week. Still nothing, slowly started gaining. By December back up to 148.

Thx to some MFP posts and TDEE/BMR calculators..it seems to keep coming back to one thing, I have been starving my body. I think? My TDEE is 2193 (Moderate excercise, I am doing Chalean Extreme 5 days a week off days burning btu 225-350 lifting & elliptical 40 minutes burning about 350). My BMR is 1424, so if I subtract the 20% from my TDEE I am at 1754 calories a day..

Should I eat back excercise calories at this point???? I have never ate this high of calories since I have been tracking it's a bit nerve wracking!

So out of the gate back in June I lost but now I have stalled for almost 3 months. So I am taking the plunge EMTWL is my new mantra (at least for a month or two to see if I can lose again) Plus I am committed to CXL and trying to lift heavy..So I have been eating my calories and doing this for about 4 days now.

I feel better not so tired, more alert, not as crabby but I have gained lbs. This morning I was 149.2. They say that is very common while your body is adjusting to actually being fed correctly. I am a nervous wreck but I am going to stick it out for a month and see what happens. I am hiding my scale so I don't get discouraged. If I blow up then I know I have to go back to 1200 calories, I guess. The good news it my size 6 still all fit and just hoping my body evens out. Wish me luck.. I pray this works for me!

Again any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• shocktastic
    Options
    Anyone?? Thoughts? Advice??
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your mindset. The 1200 cal isn't working and you've done it for 7-8 months, but you are only willing to give EM2WL a month or two before jumping ship and going back to what isn't working? Especially since it's expected that you will gain weight (many people do at first)--seems like you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. You cannot eat at 1200 cal forever and you've already said that eating more has helped you feel better. You have the rest of your life - try EM2WL for 6 months.

A couple of things - what are your stats? Age, weight, height, BF? What are your goals (lose fat, lower BF%, gain muscle, increase endurance, maintain, drop to a certain dress/clothing size)?

It sounds like you are working out 5 days a week for at least an hour each day. This puts you in the next activity level above moderate. Also if will likely be more successful if you do a 10-15% cut from TDEE. Also the biggest piece of advice I can tell you is that only you see the scale, everyone else sees how you look. You will likely gain weight (but not fat) if you are lifting heavy or working out hard - bones, muscles, blood. I highly recommend picking some other goals that do not revolve around what the scale says.
  • shocktastic
    Options
    You are 100% right about giving it more than a couple months..Thank you for a kick in the booty..just a bit nervous about it...So I should do a 10%-15% cut from TDEE instead of 20%?

My stats are: 38 years olds, 149.2 (as of this am) 5'6' BF: 25.6%

My goals are to lose 15lbs and tone build muscle all over.

I know I need to get off the scale & number I am really trying to change my mindset and THANK you for responding!
    I have done different calculators and get different numbers..SO that has me a bit confused but average it is about 1700 calories..So should I eat back workout calories??

Again THANK YOU!
  • ladyace2078
    Options
    When you start to doubt go check out all the success stories. :)

According to Scooby your TDEE is 2464, or I think of it as between 2400 and 2500. Since you only have 15 lbs to go, I would do a 10% cut, or eat about 2200 cal/day everyday. Do not eat back exercise calories, just have your food total at 2200 cal/day.

As for your goal about 'toning up' this means you need to build some muscle and probably drop some bodyfat to see the muscle. If you are building muscle you need to eat at TDEE or a few hundred calories more, then go on a deficit to drop the fat. So you may want to focus on dropping your body fat instead right now until you are convinced.

I have found that through heavy lifting I am a significantly higher weight, but smaller size than I expected to be. I am now a size 6 and 169-174 lbs (my weight goes up and down in that range, but stays in that range now that I'm at maintenance). The last time I was a size 6 I was in the mid to high 150s. Heck my original goal was to be 163-166 lbs and a size 8. I reached a size 8 at 173 lbs. Just really think about what you want your goal to be. If I had only focused on the scale I would be thinking 'but I haven't hit my goal', rather than 'I blew my goal out of the water'.

Only YOU see the scale (and maybe your doctor). EVERYONE else sees how your clothes fit, how far you can run, how much you can lift. Achieving those other goals are much, much more rewarding!
  • shocktastic
    Options
    Thanks again..LOL..but my sis just informed me I am not 5'6 i Am only 5'5 don't know if that changes much!! How do I set it in MFP?? Thanks
  • ladyace2078
    Options
    This is a great calculator if you want to make any changes: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You should be able to change your goals under My Home > Goals if you are on a computer. On the app for iPhone it's under More>Edit Profile> Net Calorie Goal (I just ignore the net part and track food).
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I have decided to put my scale away and measure my process by the way my clothes fit and taking measurements. I have gained three pounds, but I look and feel much better! It is really hard to do since everyone thinks you have to eat less to lose weight. I'm still trying to get it through in my mind that I actually need to eat more. I basically come in this group everyday and read because it keeps me motivated to keep going.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    You are 100% right about giving it more than a couple months..Thank you for a kick in the booty..just a bit nervous about it...So I should do a 10%-15% cut from TDEE instead of 20%?

My stats are: 38 years olds, 149.2 (as of this am) 5'6' BF: 25.6%

My goals are to lose 15lbs and tone build muscle all over.

I know I need to get off the scale & number I am really trying to change my mindset and THANK you for responding!
    I have done different calculators and get different numbers..SO that has me a bit confused but average it is about 1700 calories..So should I eat back workout calories??

Again THANK YOU!

If you have read the stickies at the top then you might want to consider resetting your metabolism by eating at TDEE maintenance for a few weeks before starting a TDEE deficit. Just a thought.

I have plateau'ed after losing 29-30 pounds with 30 more to go. I am increasing my calories to near or at my TDEE of 2800 for a couple of weeks or so before I re-start a deficit. This is a mindset change as much as it is a calorie change. I began MFP on July 1st and ate at 400-600 calories below my BMR. Yes, I dropped weight. That is how I lost the 30 pounds. But my body said that it had seen enough of the low calorie input. So, like you I used the Scooby website (the one I used was their hyperlink to the MOST ACCURATE because I knew my BF%). I increased from 1600 to 2200. But after 2 months nothing. So, I am resetting by eating at or near my TDEE of 2800 before I go to a deficit again.
    This process works. It is not a get thin quick scheme. This is a healthy way and a way of life way to lose weight and get fit. Good luck.