Why is Physical Fitness important?

Options
mlangevin5
mlangevin5 Posts: 12 Member
There is no one benefit to physical fitness, but rather it is an all encompassing improvement to your health and life. The importance of health related fitness is not new. From the time we could crawl we were taught to run and exercise. As children we never knew what we were doing was considered “exercise,” we just played to have fun. As we aged we lost our sense of fun and regular physical fitness became a chore that most of us find boring.

Each year our reliance on fast food and take-out grows as our lifestyles become faster paced with less time to spend in the kitchen trying to eat healthy. We see our waistlines increase each year while we exercise less and less. Exercise is not just important for our physical appearance, but for our complete health, both physically and mentally.

The importance of physical fitness starts on a micro level in our cells, and eventually benefits our entire body. When we exercise our lungs take in additional oxygen, which is fuel for the heart and the brain. The heart begins to pump faster and sends fresh oxygen and blood throughout your body and cleanses your cells. As we exhale we release carbon dioxide, a waste product.

Our heart is a muscle. Like any muscle it can grow strong, or it can be weak. Regular exercising strengthens the heart and helps prevent heart disease. When the heart is weak, it strains to continually circulate blood throughout the circulatory system. Regular exercise can also help to prevent strokes.

Through regular exercise we can help regulate our blood sugar levels, which can help prevent diabetes as well as obesity. It also helps to increase your “good” cholesterol, or HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein).

Believe it or not, physical fitness is beneficial for our mental health as well. Exercise can release stress and tension in our lives. Strenuous exercise can release endorphins in your brain, and actually make you happier. This phenomenon is known as a “runner’s high” as runners often experience this after a long run.

The importance of health related fitness can be seen in every aspect in our life. We are generally happier and have higher self-esteem when we are in good shape and we risk less health complications. Exercising will help us sleep better through the night, and will give us more energy throughout the day. Just 30 minutes a day can change your life for the better.

Replies

• nlepine84
    nlepine84 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Love everything you said!
  • brianafaye2
    brianafaye2 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great motivation :)
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always feel so much better after I workout.
  • Newme318
    Newme318 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    All of that is so true. I have to get better with regular workouts.
  • mlangevin5
    Options
    So true ladies! Let's be real here, we would all rather be at home sitting on the couch and snacking, HOWEVER, the fact that you achieved a daily goal of being active and bettering yourself is way more rewarding for now and in the future. I don't know about you but I would LOVE to finally say I am more confident in a bikini, 2013 is our year!!!!
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    2013 is our year. I love a good runners high and endorphins! It at times, makes no sense why I skip my workout. I always feel better afterwards. I am thinking of my workout as a part of my day. I brush my teeth, I workout, I prepare my lunch, I take my vitamins. It is just what I (WE) do! What a great group and an awesome post. Thank you!
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yep. i've been exercising aleast 5 days a week. I have'nt done exercise since sunday. I plan on walking on my treadmill later today.
  • mlangevin5
    Options
    Ladies, I am going to post an article of the importance of rest as well in your work out routines. 4-5 days a week of 30-60 minute work outs is AWESOME!!, HOWEVER, it is also a good idea to schedule rest days as well to allow our bodies to heal and regenerate. The days you rest, just make sure you eat the 1,200 calories calories and not overinduldge to keep your goals on track.