To all those who worry about your speed.

Options
mgnmsn
mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
SW: 244
CW: 215
GW:140

I finished my first 5k today and my time was 43 minutes and 41 seconds. I wanted to post this because before I ran all I saw were people who had times like 31 minutes or 28 minutes and I was very intimidated by this. To be honest, I was so nervous I was sick to my stomach this morning. I was afraid I would be last and embarrassed. I wanted to post to let all the first time runners that it is OKAY to jog slowly. It is OKAY to walk a little. You do not have to sprint. My time was good for me and I am so proud of myself. When you go to the race, you will have people sprint off and finish in 18 minutes. You will have them also walk and finish in an hour. Both times are fantastic because you were out there and you gave it what you had! Whether you think your time will be 30 minutes or 50 minutes, be sure to go ahead and do a 5k. It is amazing to cross the finish line and hear people cheer for you on the route (other runners included). I hope somebody reads this and I hope it comforts and encourages them. I would have loved to hear this before this morning!

If you need any support or you have any questions about the c25k program or just need a supportive friend, please add me. I love this site and I am very invested in it. :heart:

Replies

• Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5K in December, thank you for posting this as this is already a fear of mine and CONGRATULATIONS on your run :))
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post and just what I needed to hear! I finished the C25K program a week ago and have my first race scheduled for this coming Saturday. My goal is to just run the whole thing, no matter how slowly, but I've definitely been getting more nervous worrying I may finish last. Thanks for sharing your experiences and inspiring me! Way to go on that race! :flowerforyou:
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think you are simply AMAZING for doing the 5k and for posting this :bigsmile: Thank you - I am quite certain it will help many people in addition to myself....
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!
    I signed up for my first 5k next month, and I was just thinking this morning about this very subject. Just finished week 5 of the C25K, and I'm doing about 15 min miles.....your post is very inspirational :)
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I am on week 7 and can run for 25 minutes. But I do worry about my speed or lack of it! My running is very slow indeed, but I try to remind myself that when I started I couldn't run for 1 minute without getting out of breath! Well done on your 5k!!
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that my training pace was 14.5/M but my race pace was 14.06/M. :) It is a different feel in your first 5k than when you are training. People cheer and when you see the finish line you start sprinting in like wings are carrying you! :)
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Lovely to read this post, thank you! I'm starting my last week of C25k tomorrow and have been worrying that my pace is too slow, around 14min/mile. I did a 5k charity run last weekend and finished in 45 mins, it was cross country and some big hills which slowed me down and I came in last but for me the time of 45 mins was a good one. I keep reminding myself that it's not a race against anyone else but myself, if it's a personal best for me then that's a victory. It can be off-putting though when you see everyone else finishing in a quicker time.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K almost 3 years ago, and my time was, I thought, horrific (about 45 minutes, actually)- but then I realized, a LOT of people have to walk, or slow down, and it's a challenge - we all start somewhere. And I was never a runner! Thank you for posting this - I'm starting to get into running again and am about to start C25K as well, and have a 5K signed up for December. I just want to get through it and prove I can do it! :-D
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K Saturday and jogged as much as I could. It took me 51 minutes, and while I was very low in the rankings, it was the fastest I had ever done 5K.

I felt OK during the run, but later in the day (it was at SeaWorld, and we walked around the park afterward), I got some serious hip and back pain. I was pretty disappointed my body had let me down. I feel so fit and normal otherwise, I sometimes forget I still have around 100 pounds to lose and that's going to have an effect on my body.
  • antonyheaven
    antonyheaven Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great post and very encouraging! Congratulations on your first 5k ... I'm at the beginning but I'm looking forward to getting there in whatever time!
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed to read today. I am on W9D1 and my first 5k is Nov 10th. I haven't made it past running 2.5 miles yet, but I can do that without stopping which is a huge victory for me despite of my time. After this week I am going to push for the 3.1 miles and try not to focus so much on my time.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Same here... I am not covering the distance in the alloted time in week6. I have a 5k walk/run end of month. The I Am Woman race. Whooohooo !! Would really like to run it all. Will miss about a week for vacation, but should be doing a ton of walking on the trip.

I am so proud of myself for making it ths far thou. Bragging to my family all the time. They are sick of hearing about it. Haha
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this! I finished the C25K without actually running a full 5k. I just did it based on time, so I came in a little more than 2 miles. As you continue to jog, your speed will naturally increase. I'm signed up for my first 5k on 11/3 so between now and then I'm working on building up to 5k...which takes me about 40 minutes....
  • sheilap1964
    sheilap1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I also just completed my first 5K which was a Color Me Rad run. It was just a fun run but I tried to time myself. I finished in 50-55 mins. I was just glad I FINISHED. I am on week 6 for the C25K training. I can tell a HUGE difference from when I started. It is scary but it just keeps getting easier. I am not fast by no means but I am "running" which is more of a jog/walk at the moment. I am going to run my second 5K on Sunday which is the Komen Fight for a Cure race. I am so excited to run in this race. I would just like to beat my PR so we will see how it goes. I am actually starting to like running and have looked for other races in my area. I want to try a couple more and one is Thanksgiving morning.
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I am in so much trouble, lol! My first 5K is schedule for 10/27 in 9 days. I have 2 more training runs, scheduled for tomorrow and Sunday, and then I "graduate". I am still at almost a 20 minute mile. At my current rate it will take me an hour. Last night's training run - which was W8D1 (2.5 miles or 28 mins) I only made it 1.8 miles, and that was on a dreadmill. The biggest reason I am stressing about how slow I am going is I don't know if I am up to the challenge of running for an entire hour. Uggh.

I tried run 5 walk 1 for the first time last night, just to see how it felt. I really wanted to run the whole thing through but I just don't think I have an hour straight in me. Maybe some type of miracle will happen in the next week and a half and I will suddenly come up with a 15 minute mile, lol.

The truth of the matter though is that on W1D1 I thought I was gonna die so I have come a LONG way. I quit smoking about 8 months ago so that fact that I can run at all is a bit of a miracle AND I am still over 200lbs (SW 240 CW 207). But I still wish I was as "slow" as some of you guys. :laugh:
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    When I started C25K, I was follow the timed program. Then I realized I was so so so so slow that there is no way I was actually going to cover the distance - you know where it says on W4 to jog 1/4 mi or 3 minutes... Ha, I got no where near a 1/4 mile in 3 minutes. So starting in W4, I switched to keeping track of things by distance only and had to repeat W4 3 times because of it. I finally got three workouts in one week where I did the full W4 program by distance. Each workout takes me around 45 minutes. I just moved to W5 this week.

My pace is hovering at 18:30 minutes per miles right now for the jog parts.

Last night was W5D2 (.75mi jog, .5mi walk, .75mi jog) and it took me 50 minutes, including the 5 minute each warm-up/cool-down. I'm kind of dreading the 2mi jog tomorrow. If I manage to complete it, I'm sure it will take me a good 45 minutes or even more (not including warm-up/cool down)

I have set my "graduation run" to the 5K Color Run in Dallas (February 2013). Since it's not timed there is no stress to be "fast". Just want to actually jog the entire thing!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I once was late to a 5K and started a good time after the official start. At the end of every 5k, there are the real heroes. The people with crutches, who are extremely overweight, who are elderly. We're all out their for our own reasons - don't worry about what other people may or may not think.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I love about races - you get this awesome hodgepodge of people! I did on this past Saturday, and although I had a decent time (33:07...not a PR, but not my worst time either) I came in 6th to last out of 96 runners. The #1 runner was only 12 years old, and the guy who came after me was 83 years old!

I wish I had been like that at 12, and I hope to be like that at 83!