Greetings fellow ZIN friends

Options
I've been an Instructor since February 2012. So I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary! In April I reach my 1 year anniversary for Zumba Toning! I first started Zumba in 2009 as a student. Of course, I LOVED IT! Since then to current I have lost 95 pounds. Gained 10 back. Last year was a big year for me, I lost almost 40 pounds. I'm about 30 pounds from my goal weight, but seem to have reached a plateau. I'm new to MFP. but have high hopes that this combined with my regular 3 classes/week will get me to my goal. How has MFP been working for you?

Replies

• NikiMorgan27
    Options
    Hello! I have been a Zumba instructor since April 2011. I LOVE IT! I've only been on MFP for a couple of weeks but have already had results. I was always lucky up until recently that I never struggled with weight. I could eat whatever and not gain. I'm sure people hated me!! Haha! But then this past October I began having some strange things happen with my body. I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Grave's Disease (hyperthyroidism), which my mom also has. The medicine they have me on has caused weight gain. It has lowered my metabolism ( no more eating whatever) and has also lowered my immune system ( which stinks because I work at an elementary school, germ city!). I had gained 13 pounds before deciding that I needed something more than just teaching my Zumba classes, so I joined MFP. In the last couple of weeks of healthy eating and keeping myself accountable for what I'm doing, I've lost 7 of those pounds! Didn't think it would happen that quickly. But I actually am enjoying the healthier eating! I feel so much better and have a lot more energy and am hoping it will help boost my immune system too. So far so good!
  • tetracat
    tetracat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been a Zumba instructor for a week (and a day!) :) Just got licensed and everything is so overwhelming right now trying to get a playlist set up and practiced so I can possible start teaching. I started Zumba in Sept 2011 and MFP last february, and between the two have lost over 70 pounds. Although now with all the Zumba, I think I probably eat more than I used to before!
  • NikiMorgan27
    Options
    Congrats on your license! Just keep practicing with your playlist and you'll do fine once you begin teaching! And if you happen to mess something up, just keep going. I have had to improvise quite a few times, but I also just laugh it off when I mess up but my regulars keep going. It's all about feeling the music!! Have fun!!
  • ilikestooeat
    Options
    Hello, I am new to mfp two weeks in. I started out two years ago over weight not working out and not eating right. Since then I have lost 15lbs due to Zumba class, pi-yo class and weight training 3 times a week. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was told if I loose most of the weight that I could go off the medicine. I am still on the medicine but get regular check ups to monitor with the hopes of going off meds. MFP is helping me track my daily intake of calories I need to loose like 10lbs and it seems to never come off. I will be going to gym tonight to do my measurements I have built up alot of body mass and my weight has not gone down. I am now trying to do more probiotics in my diet to releive the bloatness. Seems that my hormones have takend over since I hit 41 . Learning to deal with it.. Any of you ladies out there have any suggestions for this mid section bloatness?
  • NikiMorgan27
    Options
    I also have hyperthyroidism (Grave's Disease) and have had issues with weight gain (bloating) since being on the medicine. It's only been a few months since my diagnosis, but I wanted to do something more to stop the weight gain. I teach several Zumba classes every week but it wasn't enough to keep me from gaining. So a few weeks ago I got on MFP. Since joining, and really watching the things I'm eating, I've dropped 7 pounds. Some days are harder but I try to push on as I've seen results and the bloating is much better! I'm close to where I was pre-hyperthyroid in weight and have also been doing some abdominal targeting exercises to help in getting me there. I do hate that bloated look!! I work at an elementary school and had a student ask me if I was having a baby! Ummmmm, No! Geez.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to MFP, but I did just get licensed yesterday to teach Zumba basic :love: Today I'm planning on putting in the DVD and starting to create my first class.

Those of you who teach independently from a gym, how much do you charge and do you carry liability insurance. I'm supper excited and cannot wait to start teaching :bigsmile:
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hey all! :) Zumba Hugs!! I have been a ZIN since March 2011- and started classes in 2010. I have all licenses except Sentao- I primarily teach Aqua and Basic classes- sometimes sub Gold and Zumbatomic.
    If you have questions, new and need ZIN support- feel free to add me as a friend! Exciting to see so many ZINs on a fitness forum not just on Zumba forum! :)