Weekly chat 1/20 to 1/26

Options

Replies

• munecagirl22
    munecagirl22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks i just got one at gnc it was 50$ last me maybe less then a month.. please let me know about that vemma u can just inbox me if need be

i usually never record my free days bc wing it the whole day lol!!
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I log my meals in the morning also. it is just easier for me. I'm less apt to change it if it is all typed in.

Christine i have been logging the free day just to make sure I don't overshot my calories by much.

Have a great trip Monica!!!

I feel like I am catching kiddos flu. Please just let my cold be coming back. i work Thur-Sat and am booked. I need to get off here and go do my workout! have a fantastic day!!!!
  • ChristinePechulis
    ChristinePechulis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I log my meals in the morning also. it is just easier for me. I'm less apt to change it if it is all typed in.

Christine i have been logging the free day just to make sure I don't overshot my calories by much.

I feel like I am catching kiddos flu. Please just let my cold be coming back. i work Thur-Sat and am booked. I need to get off here and go do my workout! have a fantastic day!!!!

That's what I was thinking about doing -- thanks! Hope you are not getting sick! :-)
  • losingmybehind
    losingmybehind Posts: 47 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking about doing -- thanks! Hope you are not getting sick! :-)

I REALLY hope you aren't getting sick! The flu this year is BAD.

And, thanks for the feedback about logging meals in the morning. I agree, it seems to solidify my plan by logging it ahead of time. :)
  • losingmybehind
    Options
    Question. Tomorrow is my "free day". Do you log your free day? Or, do you just kind of let it go? Just curious what folks do?

--Christine

I do log my free day....and really, it's for the same reason I log the other days. I want an objective record of my food intake so when something's working (or not working) I can go back and find out why. Logging the free (or as I like to call it guilt-free!) day is really good to just see and know calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc. in these splurge items. It's pretty eye opening. I don't know about you, but for me knowing the facts about my favorite foods kind of tempers my love for them. I used to love to eat Chipotle burritos until I looked them up and saw there are 1100 calories in one stinkin burrito!!
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Question. Tomorrow is my "free day". Do you log your free day? Or, do you just kind of let it go? Just curious what folks do?

--Christine

I log my free days as closely as possible. I don't think it's supposed to be a "free for all".
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options

--Christine

I log my free day, mostly because I try to stay under 2400 cal for the day. I also try to get to 100g protein. But often that goal goes completely out the window.
  • ChristinePechulis
    Options
    Free day today -- yahoo! Is it wrong to be so excited about it? LOL. :blushing:

I WILL be logging .... just to make sure I keep myself where I should be, calorie-wise.

Make it a great day, all!

--Christine
  • sherrielynn2013
    sherrielynn2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Trying out logging my meals for the day in the morning. Does anyone else do this? Of course, if there's any deviation, I'd go back to edit at the end of the day. This seems like a good strategy, wondering if anyone else does this.

I try to log mine the night before. And edit as I go. This way when I wake up in the morning, I don't have to worry too much about what I'm going to eat and if there is anything to prepare, I can do some in advance or at least know what my day is going to look like. It also helps me 'clean' out the fridge. I plan some of my meals and snacks using what needs to be eaten in the fridge before I have to throw it out.
  • losingmybehind
    Options
    Trying out logging my meals for the day in the morning. Does anyone else do this? Of course, if there's any deviation, I'd go back to edit at the end of the day. This seems like a good strategy, wondering if anyone else does this.

I try to log mine the night before. And edit as I go. This way when I wake up in the morning, I don't have to worry too much about what I'm going to eat and if there is anything to prepare, I can do some in advance or at least know what my day is going to look like. It also helps me 'clean' out the fridge. I plan some of my meals and snacks using what needs to be eaten in the fridge before I have to throw it out.

Yeah, I think the biggest thing I've had to change with carb cycling is preparation, thinking ahead! Have never been much for that, live my life quite spontaneously. It works for me in other areas of my life, but not my diet....gotta plan and think ahead!
  • ChristinePechulis
    Options
    Ok, so this is my first week of truly following the program to a "t". Today is my "free day". Anyone else have to fight feelings of guilt on your free day? For eating stuff that you feel like is normally off limits?

I have years of food issues behind me, so I know that is part of it. I just want to make sure that I am aware of how I'm feeling and don't let that sabotage the rest of my week, when I am back at it tomorrow.

Thoughts?
  • sherrielynn2013
    sherrielynn2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies.
    Shot in the dark here. I've looked between Kingston and Peterborough area and can't find the spray butter anywhere. Does anyone know where or which grocery chain sells it? Thanks again.

Christine. I haven't had a cheat day yet, so I really can't say how I'll feel. But like you, I have had years of food issues, and the guilt I felt anytime I slipped a bit was horrible and usually sent me on a downward spiral. I am trying to tell myself that CP wouldn't have put it in his plan if it wasn't helpful to the whole program and new ways of life both physical and psychological . Besides, all my other 'meal plans' failled me which has brought me here, so maybe thats why. We need to indulge once in awhile and enjoy it and not feel guilty and realize that its okay to enjoy the things we love. We are human.
  • ChristinePechulis
    Options
    Hi Ladies.
    Shot in the dark here. I've looked between Kingston and Peterborough area and can't find the spray butter anywhere. Does anyone know where or which grocery chain sells it? Thanks again.

Christine. I haven't had a cheat day yet, so I really can't say how I'll feel. But like you, I have had years of food issues, and the guilt I felt anytime I slipped a bit was horrible and usually sent me on a downward spiral. I am trying to tell myself that CP wouldn't have put it in his plan if it wasn't helpful to the whole program and new ways of life both physical and psychological . Besides, all my other 'meal plans' failled me which has brought me here, so maybe thats why. We need to indulge once in awhile and enjoy it and not feel guilty and realize that its okay to enjoy the things we love. We are human.

Thank you for the insight, Sherrielynn -- I like the way that you think. I think I just need to remind myself of that! I don't want that downward spiral to occur.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    Christine, I wish I had my first few "fun days" on mfp so I could show you.

I think that I have the opposite reaction to food than you. When left to my own devices, especially when I'm stressed... I eat. A lot. Of junk. No guilt. Just numb.

So, for my first several "fundays" I ate essentially the same as a HC or LC day, but allowed myself to combine both healthy carbs and healthy fats together in one meal. It wasn't until I was at least 6 weeks out before I started to really let myself have "fun" again.

I love food. I love it when it tastes good. I'm working on stoping when I'm full though... and that is what I practice on "funday."

The best part about CTL for me is that when I'm having a stressful day (like yesterday, which will be another post), I have guidelines that will help me through it. And I'm thankful too. Yesterday I "stress ate" with a yummy veggie egg scramble w/ cheese since it was a LC day. I wanted nothing more than a bowl of air popped popcorn though. If I do well today that will be my treat tonight (HC day)

Good Luck today! I'm rooting for you!
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Warning. Warning. Warning.

Mama's gone completly insane.

Sigh.

Yesterday we got a letter from the unemployment office (hubby lost his job on the 31st)... saying that he didn't work enough to receive unemployment. But here's the thing. They did not take into account his job that he worked for 9 months last year, and was paid very well doing it. AARGH!!!!!

So, add that to the rest of the stress I'm going through and I'm about to go bonkers.

DH is going up to the unemployment office today to try to get it straightened out. If you are the praying type, I'd sure appreciate your prayers.

I'm hoping he gets home early enough for me to get to go to jazzercise tonight at 4:45. I need to work out. This is just too stressful.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the unemployment mix up! That really sucks. It will get better! Keep your hopes up!

BTW - I'm new at this whole thing (I introduced myself in the introduction forum). :bigsmile:

I'm having a little issues with a few things. I read that I should eat five calorie equivalent meals a day and that my high carb days should be the high calorie days. I am getting a little frustrated because my low carb days are the ones high in the calories and I'm having issues with planning five calorie EQUIVALENT meals.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the unemployment mix up! That really sucks.

BTW - I'm new at this whole thing (I introduced myself in the introduction forum). :bigsmile:

I'm having a little issues with a few things. I read that I should eat five calorie equivalent meals a day and that my high carb days should be the high calorie days. I am getting a little frustrated because my low carb days are the ones high in the calories and I'm having issues with planning five calorie EQUIVALENT meals.

Welcome to the group! (And thanks for the sympathy)

How long have you been on CTL? Or are you going to be starting soon?

The key to CTL is pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
    Start out with 5 mini meals, eaten every 3 hours or so.

No matter what day of the week it is, start with a High Carb breakfast, of protein & healthy carb (veggie if you wish)... no healthy fat.

Then on a LC day eat the rest of your 4 meals with protein, veggies and healthy fat. Use the hand sizes as your guide. For the first few days.. then start to think about calories.

Oh HC days the rest of your meals should have at minimum a protein and a healthy carb... and veggies if you can fit them in. Chris says in the book that he expects you to eat lots of veggies on LC days, so if you don't get them all in on HC days that is okay. Again, follow the serving sizes in the book.

Once you get use to the hand sizes, then start taking a look at the calories and macros. This is where it either gets fun, or confusing.

A couple of days ago I wrote out a post about how I'm treating calories right now (and I'm going to have to add it to the "so you want to start CTL" sticky to make it easy to find.

Basically, on LC days I eat as close to 1200 calories as I can, assuming that I am not exercising. If I exercise I'm letting myself eat up to 1500... IF I NEED IT TO BE SATISFIED. 1200 divided by 5 meals is 240, so I try to keep my meals between 200-300 calories.... only going over if it is because I am eating loads of veggies.

On HC days I eat as close to 1500 calories as I can... and again, I'll eat up to 1800 if I put in a good workout.. and only if I need it. 1500 divided by 5 is 300, so I try to eat between 250-350 per meal.

Sometimes it is a little lower or higher but usually I'm around those numbers.

Low carb meals look like:
    1 palm size of protein (about 3 oz of chicken or 94g)
    1 thumb size of healthy fat (like 1 oz of cheese, or 1 tbsp of regular dressing)
    2 fist sizes of veggies (about 2 cups or so.. a nice sized salad, around 100g or 4oz)

If you are eating more than this, really try to scale back your portions, and work on eating every 3 hours. It isn't easy when you start out... but it will get better, I promise!!!

Oh, and FYI, if you follow the 1200/1500 calorie rotation during the week, and eat a full 2400 calories on your fun day, your weekly average will be 1500 calories a day. You can do this!!! :drinker:

edited for spelling
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the unemployment mix up! That really sucks.

Welcome to the group! (And thanks for the sympathy)

How long have you been on CTL? Or are you going to be starting soon?

The key to CTL is pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
    Start out with 5 mini meals, eaten every 3 hours or so.

No matter what day of the week it is, start with a High Carb breakfast, of protein & healthy carb (veggie if you wish)... no healthy fat.

Then on a LC day eat the rest of your 4 meals with protein, veggies and healthy fat. Use the hand sizes as your guide. For the first few days.. then start to think about calories.

Oh HC days the rest of your meals should have at minimum a protein and a healthy carb... and veggies if you can fit them in. Chris says in the book that he expects you to eat lots of veggies on LC days, so if you don't get them all in on HC days that is okay. Again, follow the serving sizes in the book.

Once you get use to the hand sizes, then start taking a look at the calories and macros. This is where it either gets fun, or confusing.

A couple of days ago I wrote out a post about how I'm treating calories right now (and I'm going to have to add it to the "so you want to start CTL" sticky to make it easy to find.

Basically, on LC days I eat as close to 1200 calories as I can, assuming that I am not exercising. If I exercise I'm letting myself eat up to 1500... IF I NEED IT TO BE SATISFIED. 1200 divided by 5 meals is 240, so I try to keep my meals between 200-300 calories.... only going over if it is because I am eating loads of veggies.

On HC days I eat as close to 1500 calories as I can... and again, I'll eat up to 1800 if I put in a good workout.. and only if I need it. 1500 divided by 5 is 300, so I try to eat between 250-350 per meal.

Sometimes it is a little lower or higher but usually I'm around those numbers.

Low carb meals look like:
    1 palm size of protein (about 3 oz of chicken or 94g)
    1 thumb size of healthy fat (like 1 oz of cheese, or 1 tbsp of regular dressing)
    2 fist sizes of veggies (about 2 cups or so.. a nice sized salad, around 100g or 4oz)

If you are eating more than this, really try to scale back your portions, and work on eating every 3 hours. It isn't easy when you start out... but it will get better, I promise!!!

Oh, and FYI, if you follow the 1200/1500 calorie rotation during the week, and eat a full 2400 calories on your fun day, your weekly average will be 1500 calories a day. You can do this!!! :drinker:

edited for spelling

Thank you so much for the tips! I am going to start here soon - once I get my meals planned. It only gets difficult because I'm trying to do it on a budget and as you know buying all different types of foods can be pricey but I think I have a good idea of what I wanna do.

Also, my Husband it going to "try" to do it with me but his work schedule is crazy! He has to be work by midnight, gets off at 9am, gets home around 10, goes to bed and is supposed to be waking up at 6pm (but he has been waking at 3pm). He is going to be the real test. lol
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    Thank you so much for the tips! I am going to start here soon - once I get my meals planned. It only gets difficult because I'm trying to do it on a budget and as you know buying all different types of foods can be pricey but I think I have a good idea of what I wanna do.

Also, my Husband it going to "try" to do it with me but his work schedule is crazy! He has to be work by midnight, gets off at 9am, gets home around 10, goes to bed and is supposed to be waking up at 6pm (but he has been waking at 3pm). He is going to be the real test. lol

You are so welcome! I just added my other ramblings to the sticky I mentioned above. Here is the link to make it easy: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813951-so-you-want-to-start-choose-to-lose?page=1#posts-13034698

Also, if you have not already, you will want to check out the "smart foods guide" sticky too! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773559-smart-food-guide

I completely understand being on a budget! This month has been tough for me, because we are waiting to hear back about food stamps, and if my husband will actually get unemployment. I am buying the absolute minimum as I need it, because I would hate to spend my cash on groceries, only to find out that we will receive enough to spend on groceries later... especially since I need to save what cash I have for gas, and other bills. Like I said before, I'm under a bit of stress right now.

But I digress.

You can do CTL on a budget! I found very quickly that when I started buying healthier options to feed my family of 4, I stoped buying so much of the processed stuff I was buying before. I still buy some... because I'm not that mean... and I am easing them into a healthy lifestyle. But, the amount that I spend on groceries has gone down some.
  • ChristinePechulis
    Options
    AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Warning. Warning. Warning.

Mama's gone completly insane.

Sigh.

Yesterday we got a letter from the unemployment office (hubby lost his job on the 31st)... saying that he didn't work enough to receive unemployment. But here's the thing. They did not take into account his job that he worked for 9 months last year, and was paid very well doing it. AARGH!!!!!

So, add that to the rest of the stress I'm going through and I'm about to go bonkers.

DH is going up to the unemployment office today to try to get it straightened out. If you are the praying type, I'd sure appreciate your prayers.

I'm hoping he gets home early enough for me to get to go to jazzercise tonight at 4:45. I need to work out. This is just too stressful.

So, so sorry to hear about this. I hope that it all works out for you and your husband soon and that it is just a mix-up that can be straightened out. Hang in there! Exercise for some mood-lifting endorphins! Take care!