Do You have a Gym Membership- Do you Use it??

Options
Hi I was wondering how many of us here on this board have a gym membership and how many of us use it I am also curious what your gym is like

What is your favorite part about your gym
What is your favorite activity there?
What is your favorite piece of equipment
Do you use the strength training machines?
Do you use the free weights?
Do you have a trainer?

Replies

• emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not like you mean.......I have access to a small gym at the rental office of our current apartment. Because of that I don't even think about buying a membership to a "real" gym. I use the treadmills most when I go. Or the elipticals if they are working correctly. I have only started using the weight machines and free weights.....and I BARELY have a clue as to what I am doing. I wish I had a trainer just to go through and tell me if I am doing it remotely right. LOL
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do. Strength training 3x week and water aerobics 3x week. Both are fave areas :)
  • seansogonzo
    Options
    I have a membership to easily the nicest gym in town.

I've actually gone maybe five times in as many months. :-\

Oh well. After walking around the neighborhood for a few weeks I should be ready to go back.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at the local YMCA. I joined primarily because they have a nice outdoor pool (I live in Florida where swimming outside is a year-round activity!) Also, I knew that at first my exercise would need to be swimming (easy on the joints -- hard on the fat!) until I lost some weight. I eventually will move indoors and start using some of the equipment to mix things up and start doing more toning/strengthening exercises. But for now, swimming and walking are the extent of my fitness activities, which I think is fine 4 weeks into this lifestyle change.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have had a membership for about 6 months at Planet Fitness. I start off strong and go about 3 days a week for a couple weeks, then excuses pop up and I quit going. I hadn't gone 15 time in the past 6 months. I started back last week after decided that I had to make a change. I went twice last week.......I decided on a Wednesday. I will go atleast 3 times this week. I don't have an affordable gym where i live, so I have to go while I work. I use my lunch hour to do so. So, needless to say, I don't work out long. As of right now, I am doing 25 minutes on the ellipitical. It gives me a good work out and it is low impact. I just have to keep the motivation to keep going.
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I would love one. I think my weight loss would move a little faster if I had access to one.
  • gtchs
    gtchs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do have a membership but haven't been going lately. I need to start going again.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Do you have a trainer?

I have 2 memberships. One in VA and one in GA since I travel between the 2.
    I love heavy lifting. I want to be able to dead lift so I love working on it.
    I like the bikes as far as cardio equipment.
    I use machines and free weights interchangeably. I like free weights better.
    I had a trainer help me in the beginning (my brother) but now that I have my certifications, I just workout with hubby.
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have had a gym membership on and off for several years. I usually get one, start out strong, psych myself out of going (I have really bad anxiety) and then get tired of paying for something I don't use and cancel it after months of not going. I just rejoined my favorite gym (L.A. Fitness) the end of December and haven't gone yet. My sister is moving down to where I live and I can't wait because she is going to go with me and I think that will combat the anxiety and make my visits more reliable.

What is your favorite part about your gym? It's big and open and they don't play the music too loud. Also the people (at least at this location) are just real people there to get a workout, not to use as a social club. So there is no gymtimination (I laughed so hard at those Planet Fitness commercials).

What is your favorite activity there? Water aerobics.

What is your favorite piece of equipment? Rowing machine

Do you use the strength training machines? Yes

Do you use the free weights? Yes

Do you have a trainer? No
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    Yes, my township has a rec center, and I have a family membership

What is your favorite part about your gym - variety of equipment and classes
    What is your favorite activity there? not really
    What is your favorite piece of equipment probably the bike
    Do you use the strength training machines? yes
    Do you use the free weights? yes
    Do you have a trainer? one is available for $40 an hour - I have not used it. I have an app on my phone that has different exercises to target different areas, I try and pick 2 new ones each week and add them to my rotation.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Fitness classes. Zumba, RIPPED, kickboxing. The overall atmosphere and ambiance gets me going.
    Making fat cry ( sweating )
    I like warming up on on the exercise bike for 2-3 miles.
    Few. The leg press one is probably the one I use the most frequently.
    Yes. When it comes to lifting, I'd say it's about 80% of my workout. The other 20% is via strength training machines.
    Do you have a trainer?
    No.

The YMCA is my gym. Many families with kids.
  • tallulahthunderbird
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership, and really can't afford one. I do want to get one as soon as I can though, because I think swimming would be a good exercise for me. I love the water.
  • swagner73
    swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The family & I just joined a gym last week. We started going to a new church late last year & a lot of the members go to the same gym & absolutely love it so after much thought & discussion, we decided we would try it out.

What is your favorite part about your gym -- It's open 24 hours so if I can't sleep, I'll be able to go work out. It also has free tanning & it very close to home.
    What is your favorite activity there? -- Biking, so far. I haven't developed the endurance yet on the elliptical that I would love to have
    What is your favorite piece of equipment -- Recumbent (sp?) bike; it's in a corner in the back so for the moment, I feel more comfortable there
    Do you use the strength training machines? -- Nope, not yet
    Do you use the free weights? -- hahaha! The only one I see using these so far is the big, bulky guys.
    Do you have a trainer? -- no
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I go to the Y for water aerobics and I look at the fitness room as I walk by. Too scary!
    Maybe someday.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I go to the local YMCA, mainly because it is the only place with a pool. I swim a mile at least 2 times a week and I lap swim followed by water aerobics/water weights 2 times a week. I am hoping that I will be able to use the upstairs gym equipment soon, I have a dr. apppointment and hopefully my hips will be ok enough to try out some new things :)
  • christywolfe
    Options
    This is my 3rd week of being in a gym. I love it and do glad I made the decision to do this. It's a women only gym and we have access to just about everything and the trainers are great. We have Zumba, kickboxing, turbo fire, Pilates, yoga.... You name it. It's a 24/7 facility and extremely affordable.
  • marcuscross104
    marcuscross104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness on Jan 1st, I rarely went. Ultimate fail.

I started MFP Feb 1st, I've lost 8 pounds so far. First real success, ever!

I started doing Leslie Samsone's "Walk Away The Pounds" every other day on Feb 5th.
    I have now been doing the {30min. - 2 mile} walk everyday for 15 days straight!
  • the0th3rjen
    the0th3rjen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and I love it. I joined the YMCA. It's 4 miles from my house and I took advantage of their sliding scale for a decent month rate.

What is your favorite part about your gym?
    ---definitely the classes. I feel so much more accountable and my absence is usually noted =)

---Muscleworks!! Its an hour of weight lifting, squats and lunges and I usually want to die 20 minutes in, but I feel so much stronger afterwards and the instructor is totally cool with me adapting for my body size and structure.

What is your favorite piece of equipment?
    ---Arc trainer gazelle thingie. It works me as hard as the treadmill and my knees don't get sore.

I do, but eventually I want to learn the free weight version of those exercises.

---Yes, right now just for a few exercises like biceps, but like I said above, I want to use all weights and not machines.

Do you have a trainer?
    ---I do. I got a free session when I joined and I am going save all my pennies to see her again every month. It's great for learning form. I am so afraid of hurting myself that it is essential for me to invest in this.