Thinking about doing Medifast

Options
bamagrrrl
bamagrrrl Posts: 18 Member
I am thinking about doing Medifast I am a type 2 diabetic and want to be able to reverse this... I am looking for something portion controlled. Would like someone who has done this to tell me the pros and cons and if its worth it. thnx!

Replies

• kaitie23
    kaitie23 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I I have been on and off medifast. The pros are you eat five medifast meals a day and one lean no green on your own. With the diet you stay under 1,000 calories and 100 carbs a day. The diet puts to in a mild state of ketosis that burns fat for energy instead of storing it. The weight comes off quickly most average 2-5 pounds a week.

Th cons are its a lot of self control. The moment you go over 100 carbs you are out of ketosis and you need to start over and it takes three days to get back into the diet. The foods get boring and repetitive at times.

I started at 200 and got to 134 pounds over the course of 7-8 months. Bad thing is I gained back some going off plan.

It's all about a lifestyle change. Yes, you will lose weight if you stick to plan but once you get to goal you can't go back to eating how you did or you will gain it all back. It's all about making healthier choices

I like MF because I don't need to worry about what I will eat that day. I just pack my five meals and I am good to go, you only need to worry about what you will eat for your lean and green.

Add me as a friend and you can check out my food diary if you would like to see what typical days are like

Any other questions let me know. Hopefully this was helpful :)
  • kimmy6779
    kimmy6779 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    add me too if you want, i started medifast on 1/1 and its the best thing i ever did!! i weighed 235. only 25 days later here i am at 219. i am motivated by results and i really like the food.... good luck with whatever you decide!!
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I started MF in August 2012 and have lost 25 pounds and 30 inches. I went from a size 12 to a size 8. I could have been at my goal weight in November 2012 but I haven't stuck to the program totally 100% but I also added working out at least 3 times a week and I feel better than I have in years. However, I didn't need to lose a lot of weight but if you do, this is a great program. We have a lot of us on here so feel free to ask us anything and we are here to support each other. Good luck to you!
  • disappearingdeb
    Options
    Add me as a friend too. I just started MF 2 weeks ago and I have lost 11.6 lbs. I am in my 3rd week and weigh once a week on Wednesdays. I like it because it has helped me not think of food so much. Some of the meals aren't the tastiest so don't be afraid to spice them up with seasoning. I have really liked to program so far. And I love the ease of tracking here using the barcode scanner. Good luck.
  • dwhitmoyer
    dwhitmoyer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Medifast is very successful. I lost 70 some pounds the first time. Then I started a new, stressful job and gained a lot of it back because I made lousy choices. So here I am, back on it full time for the last month. Even when not dieting, I tend to have medifast around. It makes a great breakfast at work, a healthy snack or meal on the go. Keeps you from overindulging to eat a bar before going out to a party or out with friends. Sure makes you give up the red meat fast when you see how little of it you get to eat compared to fish or chicken.
  • maryb2011
    maryb2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Medifast has been the only diet I have truly been successful on...it has definately been a blessing to me.

My all time high weight was 323 and now I am "hovering" around 225. I took a break from MF, joined Weight Watchers (again), and am now back on Medifast full time to get the rest of this weight off. I have found with other programs, I have too much choice and make bad decsions.

I love the ease of MF, I have choice, but it is llimited. I find that when I eat every 2-3 hours I don't get hungry and other food does not bother me. As another responder said, this is a 100% deal. Being 100% on program gets results. Having bites, licks and tastes can really get one off track.

Some people join the MF center (and have to pay a substantial fee to join). I order my food online and use the Medifast Message boards and MFP for motivation. If you want some tips on how to lessen the cost of your food, PM me and I will let you know my tricks.

I've found this weight issue is all about mindset. I've always grown up as food being important...I am working on changing my thinking to food being fuel for the body. This is a challenging journey, but one worth taking.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I sat on the decision to do it for awhile, and my only regret is that I didn't start sooner! It is working so well for me. I am a "low energy" person, and my favorite thing has been the stamina/endurance to make it through the day with enough energy to do what I need to do and not burn out. I also like the food well enough, and the ones I don't like, I'm either not buying, or have found some tricks to work around what I don't like.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the convenience. I have a bag that I take to work, and I just pick and choose my 5 meals for the day either the night before, or in the morning, and I'm out the door with no fuss. If I need a shaker bottle or mug etc., those go in the bag too.

I absolutely adore my free health coach (I am using the "Take Shape for Life" version of MF). She has been a lifesaver, with great ideas and suggestions when I struggle, and guidance for ways to integrate the program into my life.

MF has helped me with issues that I didn't expect it too as well. I have battled anemia all my adult life. The approach of having the nutrition (vitamins and minerals) balanced across the 5 MF meals seems to be doing what nothing else has done before - eliminating the anemia! I also suffer from migraine headaches - the frequency, duration and pain have diminished since I started MF. I'm also in that lovely "change of life" stage, and my symptoms of that have been reduced the past few weeks too. I just feel healthier overall. I'm sure I'll see even more changes when I've been going even longer.
  • chellynn1983
    Options
    It is the best decision I have ever made, I have been on plan for 6 weeks and have lost 37 lbs!! Wish I found this sooner
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am ending my first week tomorrow and I love it. So far down 7 pounds with my final weigh in for the week tomorrow. i love it! I was tempted to cheat yesterday and I just contacted my health coach and my friend to help me get through the temptation and I stuck with the plan. Make the choice to stick to it and you will make yourself proud.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am ending my first week tomorrow and I love it. So far down 7 pounds with my final weigh in for the week tomorrow. i love it! I was tempted to cheat yesterday and I just contacted my health coach and my friend to help me get through the temptation and I stuck with the plan. Make the choice to stick to it and you will make yourself proud.

That is awesome! Congratulations on a great first week!