Introduction

Options
eidc
eidc Posts: 79 Member
Weeell I am off to a good start in this group..sent a message but have no idea where it went!!! I am an OB nurse who works rotating shifts 2 days 2 nights( 12 hour shifts) 5 off...although the first day off is a sleep day. I really struggle with getting exercise in especially on the days I am working. I have lost 13 pounds with MFP but need to lose another 10 to 15. So need some motivation in the exercise department.

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I WAS a nurse :( I was diagnosed with MS in 1997 and had to quit in 1999. So I miss talking to nurses, miss the adrenalin rush, miss the teaching, miss everything. But I should also say that my life is completley different since then and I'm not sure I would want to work in what the medical fiedl is today. OK, I'm done with that!!!!!!! I am 62 years old, 5 foot 6 WAS 233 pounds and am now 222 pounds!!!!! I have been on yo yo diets for many years. So i need encouragement along with the rest of you. I guess I should just say I would be pleased to say I am part of a group of nurses. Oh, i was cardiac care, post ICU/open heart
  • melnikdanil1
    Options
    I am ICU nurse, night shift,12 and 8 hr .need to loose at least 15 lbs.I met so many great people in MFP and I love it!
  • demetriagayle
    Options
    I am going to be a nurse in 3 months time. And i want to lose the weight before I start my career as a nurse. I hope to meet a lot of people on MFP and a lot of nurses to learn some tips from before I start to work as a nurse.
  • sls1989
    sls1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey guys- how much does night shift suck for losing weight! I don't do permanent nights but have been doing a heck of a lot in the last 6 weeks, and find it the hardest shift to be motivated to move, I feel like all I do is eat/sleep/work. I work on a general surg/neuro surg ward. I started my "lifestyle change" in January. Have since lost 24kg. Still have another 40 to go! But getting there! Shift work makes it hard to find people to work out with. I started up a the gym with my cousin and she works business hours, so we work really hard to gym on the days I'm on early shifts. I have also started going with one of the girls from work, and we look at our rosters and book in dates in our diaries to make a gym date. I find that sometime on night shift the best thing to do is just to go for a walk though. Even if its only 20-30mins you are still doing something! And meals for shift workers- prep prep prep! at the start of the week I try and make a couple of different one pot wonders to see me through. And also make sure my pantry is stocked with cereals,wraps, tuna, nuts, fruit, and have some eggs in the fridge as I can do lots with them. I have found that I need to make it a bit of an obsession to stick with it! Especially this time of year when the patients families bring in lots of chocolate :) Looking forward to hearing everyone elses tips and tricks :)
  • Shunthor
    Shunthor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I just started using MFP a couple days ago. I'm a RN in child psych. Initially I started out doing 12 hr rotating shifts - day/night. Now I'm solely doing three 12 hr night shifts (7p-7a). It is definitely difficult to lose weight while working nights. I always feel tired and just want to sleep...get up for 2-3 hrs and eat...and then want to go back to sleep. I've been forcing myself on my first night off to try to sleep a little bit and then get up and hopefully switch back to a day schedule. But it is difficult esp if there isn't any reason to do so i.e. appointments, obligations, etc. A co-worker (who lives within in walking distance of me and also works nights) and I are planning to start walking together. Hopefully this works out. I could use all the encouragement I can get. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am a new RN since May 2012 and I work 3-4 12's/wk (6p-6a) at a critical access hospital. I am trying to be more active in life and am so happy that I finally found a friend to workout with that is as motivated as I am! Although between trying to schedule a workout, the weather (I live in the midwest and am wimpy when it comes to cold), and my schedule lately of 2 on and 1 off, seems to be more of a struggle than I realized. I have recently discovered a fondness for the rowing machine though! :)
  • aimeeleo
    Options
    I have been a RN for 13 yrs. I worked mostly nights due to my children. When I first became a nurse it was jut 8 hr shifts. It was easier to manage weight. It became harder with the 12 hrs. I have worked on all dept. the moe stressful a unit the more u snack. Now I work 8 hr nights again while working on MSN. The wt is starting to come off again.
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello Night Nurses. New to MFP, starting week 2. I am a night nurse at a Rural Hospital/ER/Rehab unit. I generally work 6-7 twelve hour shifts in a row with 7-8 days off. Like others on this post find it hard to get the adequate exercise during my time in the trenches.