Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anybody have any weight loss tips for peri- menopausals?

I get it that menopause and all the hot flashes, night sweats, ill moods, aches pains, etc. is a big deal, but I could have gotten through so much of all that if I hadn't grown to the size of your average sumo wrestler in the process.

Has anyone, anywhere, had any luck at all in finding out how to possibly lose any of this freaking weight? There has to be something more than starving yourself and exercising every waking moment, which btw doesn't work either for me. I've tried the low carb route, I've tried restricting caloric intake and exercising (a year @ 1500 cal/day + 6 day/wk exercise); I've tried balancing my hormones, I've tried going to the doctor and having my blood tested for thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies, etc. Nothing has worked.

Help? Anyone (over the age of 50)?

Replies

• Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    I'm having the same problems too and would like know how to get the weight off. Anyone?
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Have you calculated your BMR or TDEE? And do you know how much you are burning from exercise? It could be that you are eating too little and/or working out too hard, or it could be that you are eating too much and not exercising enough, altho that's doubtful. I'm only late 40s, but I'm 9 + years post-hysterectomy, so I had to work at it, but didn't have a hard time losing 40 lbs. in the last couple of years. I'm only 5'3" and never ate as little as 1500, tho.

If you want to calculate your BMR and TDEE, try these websites:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

And if you don't have a device to tell you how much you are burning from workouts, try this site:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx#

Good luck!
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Have you calculated your BMR or TDEE? And do you know how much you are burning from exercise? It could be that you are eating too little and/or working out too hard, or it could be that you are eating too much and not exercising enough, altho that's doubtful. I'm only late 40s, but I'm 9 + years post-hysterectomy, so I had to work at it, but didn't have a hard time losing 40 lbs. in the last couple of years. I'm only 5'3" and never ate as little as 1500, tho.

If you want to calculate your BMR and TDEE, try these websites:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

And if you don't have a device to tell you how much you are burning from workouts, try this site:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx#

Good luck!

I was once told to put the lower exercise available, but I exercise 4-5 times a week.
    Should I up this, or on the days that I exercise eat more calories?
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    I have calculated the BMR on this site and the TDEE on the other site. It tells me my TDEE is 1880 (calories per day?) I was eating 1200 cal/day and exercising once to twice per week, as my schedule allows. I was afraid I might be eating too little, so for the past week I have upped it to 1300 cal/day. I have gained 2 lbs on average in the past week, go figure.

Problem is that as long as I diet and exercise regularly I don't gain any weight, but I don't lose any either. If I eat a little more or exercise less, I gain weight. All I have to do to gain weight is not exercise and it doesn't seem to matter how much less than my BMR/TDEE I eat. You'd think that eating 500-600 cal/day less than my BMR/TDEE I'd lose about a pound per week and with exercise maybe a little more, but no.

I have a friend who is losing, but she gets up at 4 am every day, does INSANITY workout, also does an intense Karate workout two nights per week, eats a vegetarian diet and not much else. That doesn't work for me and I couldn't keep up the pace or the schedule.

I try to eat low-carb, low-fat, reasonable calorie meals. I try to avoid red meat, but do eat chicken, turkey and fish, eggs, milk and cheese, in addition to plenty of high-fiber, low carb foods. So eating less doesn't work, eating more doesn't work, exercising needs to be more, but hey, I have a job, go to school and have a family. There's only so many hours in a day and I'm sleeping 8 of them no matter what, working 8 of them 5 days/week and fit a whole lot into the rest of the time.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    I am in the same boat. I eat more and gain more, eat less and exercise more stay the same. My fitbit has been great to try and figure out my TDEE. It can be an eye opener. I do think without something like the fitbit and a food scale that we do over/under estimate our calories. Typically during the work week I average 1850 calories total calories burned, that is with 30 minutes at the gym, the weekends even less because I am not as active. There is not a lot of wiggle room. I really really envy the young that can eat more to weigh less. :)
  • heiditracker
    heiditracker Posts: 18 Member
    I hear you and am/have been in the same boat. I was able to maintain 150 lbs going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week, did Zumba, Yoga and Pilates and some cycling and treadmill walking and didn't starve myself but stayed away from bad stuff, sweets and fast food. I had to quit the gym for financial and other reasons and I gained 28 lbs. It seems that watching what I eat is no help. SInce I still can't afford a gym, I got (had my husband buy me for Xmas) a small trampoline. We get up at 4am and he showers and I jump, well, jog and jump on the tramp for 30 minutes (I started at 15 minutes). I also joined MFP and am recording my food diary which really helps me because I didn't realize how many calories I really consume. I now jump at night while my dinner is cooking another 20 to 30 minutes. It's been 5 weeks, I've lost 4 lbs, I went up 2 lbs 1 week but down again. I really think breaking up my exercise has helped. I also was NEVER a breakfast eater but, I force myself to eat something within a 1/2 hour of working out. Like Oatmeal with yogurt or a protein bar if I don't have time. I think it's working. About all the other Crap, hotflashes, mood swings, headaches. I've also been trying everything. I started taking Boron 3gm in the am and 3gm in the evening. It's supposed to tell the hormones you do have to level out and I think I am seeing some progress but, I've only been taking it for 4 days now. I also take Black Cohosh, Vitamin E (for skin and dryness), Calcium with D and Magnesium. I'm going to add some Chasteberry as my sis say's it has helped her.
  • Unfortunately, age and menapause = weight gain. Us older folks have to work that much harder I'm afraid. Strength training, keeping your muscles working is KEY. It boosts the metabolism. Eating less won't cut it without exercising.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Yea same thing here. I haven't lost in a year. I can't say I've been totally focused but I have gone several weeks logging and working out and no loss. I did a personal training class last year and didn't really see a difference in weight - I saw some muscle forming in my arms and legs but nothing in the tummy! I started doing the couch to 5k - was doing pretty good at that and then my foot started really hurtin (think it was plantar facsis). I started Insanity and did pretty good at that unil I got sick. Now I am heavier than I have been in years and after all the working out I did last year. Go figure. I just started New Rules but I am having trouble with my knee (think its a torn mensisc) Hmm this getting older is for the birds - lol. I've never had any aches or pains or muscular issues until this year.

I went off the pill last year and I'm not sure if I'm leveling out. I have no symptoms - and periods are very regular and normal.

The only thing I can figure is that I am not being diligent enough with my foods. So now I am loggin everything and make sure I log accurately by measuring or weighing. I am working on getting more consistent with my workouts. I can jog and do weights without hurting my knee so that's what I am doing. I think the key is less processed foods and higher protein and consistentcy in working out. I think I try to do too much and I quit after a time. So now I'm aiming for workouts I can do and figure even if its not as intense that the long term consistency will pay off.
  • There's a group on here for that. It helps quite a bit to talk with others who are struggling with the same issues.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I am the same.- I'm actually post-menopausal - had early on-set menopause at 42......I read an article somewhere that said at some point, your body just "settles" - it has a more or less natural weight that it stays at based on genetics, hormones, etc. I seem to be stuck around 150 lbs. Sometimes I get down to 148 or 149, but only once since I started more than a year ago, did I get to 146. (I'm 5'5" 1/2). I'm in my weight range for height, age, etc. - but I want to get to 145 and for the life of me I can't. So I'm trying to focus on size and fat-busting instead of the scale. I'm between a size 10 and 8 so my goal now is to comfortable fit into 8s only. I wish I had a magic answer - it's so frustrating because I feel like I'm doing most things right and still I'm not getting anywhere - but I guess we are getting "healthier". :)
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    I've lost weight - it's really calories in calories out. :smile:
  • look into Vishape shakes,, i am doing that and i have lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks,, and yes i am going thru menopause,, and the ugly weight gain,:happy:
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Bio-identical hormones. Not the horse hormones. The key is to find a practitioner who doesn't want to just fix your perimenopausal problems but actually restore your hormones to an ideal level. It is a lot of work. I started 6 months ago - just now starting to feel like myself again. Good luck!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    I've spent the last two years telling myself that "I can't lose because I'm menopausal". I'm heavier than I've been my whole life at 190. I hate the belly fat and feeling out of shape. I too had all the tests run on thyroid, etc.; we've all been through it. What I've found from following this site was that I wasn't OVEREATING.... I wasn't eating enough. Especially of the right foods. Also, I wasn't drinking enough water.

My Fitbit and MFP site has been a Godsend. I read through all the message boards and women and men of all ages and sizes are losing by just following the plan. I've read people's comments that work out 4-7 days a week and others that say they haven't exercised at all and yet they are still losing. I've piddled with this for 3 weeks and saw the scales actually go up. This week I got serious and determined to follow the plan and I lost 2.4 pounds! Hormones are a pain but we can outsmart them. Stay positive. YOU CAN DO IT!! Now if you'll excuse me...........I'm having a hot flash and I need to go turn on the fan! :)
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    "Bio-identical hormones. Not the horse hormones. The key is to find a practitioner who doesn't want to just fix your perimenopausal problems but actually restore your hormones to an ideal level. It is a lot of work. I started 6 months ago - just now starting to feel like myself again. Good luck! "

Problem with that is that it costs a fortune on an on-going basis and is not covered by insurance. Fine for the rich and famous, but not working for a working Mom on a budget.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    I've lost 6kg over the past 4 months - not a great reward for a lot of work. I like some of what I see in the mirror (great legs) but the belly fat just sits there. I HATE the apron and will not give up this at least that's gone
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Apparently it differs for everyone - I am getting more progressed in my Peri-menopause 43 days w/o a period and I feel like I have 10 lbs of menstrual build up and my appetite is crazy
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    I have gained 2 lbs on average in the past week, go figure.
    What does this mean? A 2 pound gain in a week is not an average. I'm 58, 12 years post hyst, 5 feet tall, and I've just lost 21 pounds in about 4 months. You need carbs, and you need fat, so don't cut them out completely. I was trying to do low carb, high protein, but developed gout. Now I just watch how much of everything I eat. I'm doing ok at 1200 cals. Hope you find something that works.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    In regard to HRT. I have used both bio-identical and pharmaceutical (no one prescribes Premarin any longer). The cream made me anxious and I stopped using it. Now I use a patch or ring. Both work. And they are not "forever" meds either. You can use them to get your symptoms under control and stop. And start again later, it needed. And for me, the Progesterone was the key to my feeling better.
    Regarding diet. I think we really need to shake things up. I know that the strategies I have used in the past, no longer are effective. I recently have been very happy with Intermittent Fasting.