Sharing a bed

Options

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my dad and his wife sleep in separate rooms (they have for awhile now, because my dad snores and he wakes up super early) and they're still very happy. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think this was mentioned up thread, but the bigger issue for me wasalways just feeling comfortable and relaxed enough with the routine of sleeping with a new person to actually fall asleep. I've only ever been at that place of comfort with a few people, and it took a realllllly long time. The snoring and the unreal body heat were issues in one case, but really it was about it being new and weird. The upfront sleep sacrifice was always worth it in the long run, though.

But ultimately, snoring is harsh. I eventually got accustomed to sleeping with an intense snorer. He felt terrible and hated when I'd go to the couch, so he made sure I always fell asleep first. That was the trick. I have like 2,000 wax earplugs somewhere in my attic that I ended up weaning off of because if I got to sleep first, all was good.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My roommate told me when I first moved in that he used to think I had night visitors come over after I went to sleep because I would talk and laugh so much. One night he knocked on my door, but no answer... poked his head in and I just busted out laughing and said something about cruise ships for refrigerators.

I've noticed this is more common when I'm in an unusual situation - new bed, new room, sharing the bed with someone (I have amazing stories from when my sister last visited) or if I've just had a very stressful time of it. I don't sleep walk as often as I used to, and certainly not as extreme! When I was 12 I woke up outside my house NAKED in the middle of the night!!

Yikes! I've never woken up naked anywhere... But I definitely sleep laugh as well.

The first time I slept over at J's, he woke me up at 3 or 4 to ask me what was so funny... I was super pissed and had no idea what he was talking about.

He is also a really bad sleep-cuddler, and when we went up north in August, we had this huuuuuuuuuuuge bed. But of course, I ended up shoved onto one side with like no room to move. So I started kicking him. He gets really crabby when I do this.
    So I just avoid staying at his place, and when he stays here we sleep on the couch so I don't have to be next to him. Hahah. I'm all about personal space! :laugh:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Candy. I can't sleep well WITHOUT my guy in bed next to me. One night he was having trouble sleeping and was up on the computer and I turned over and panicked because he wasn't there. It's just weird now.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I prefer to politely asking the women to leave after sex so we don't have to sleep in the same bed together. Just my personal preference.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I prefer to politely asking the women to leave after sex so we don't have to sleep in the same bed together. Just my personal preference.

What if you are living together or married?
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

What if you are living together or married?

California King or separate beds. I know a lot of couples that do the separate bed thing. It seems to work for them.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    This whole seperate beds thing is so foreign to me. The times I've had a lover that spent the night, we actually wanted to spend time together and sleep together. I also love my sleep and had no problem sleeping because of how at peace I felt with the situation, with her, with good sleep after sex...with all those factors.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I am someone who thinks that sleeping in the same bed as a couple is the most desirable sleeping scenario.

With that said, I am also someone who places a high value on a good night of sleep. In Showgirlbody’s case, the snoring is a huge deal. If you can’t deal with the snoring and it affects your sleep so much that your work performance is impacted negatively, there’s no need to force it and sleeping apart is sensible.
    This whole seperate beds thing is so foreign to me. The times I've had a lover that spent the night, we actually wanted to spend time together and sleep together. I also love my sleep and had no problem sleeping because of how at peace I felt with the situation, with her, with good sleep after sex...with all those factors.

I guess I'm with DM & SV on this one. Sometimes it takes a little while to get used to another person in your bed. I had a relationship with a man who had sleep apnea....I called hiim Darth Vader (he laughed, all was good). It took a little getting used to, but once we were settled, I slept well. But, I have a woman in my office that sleeps in a separate room from her boyfriend...seems to work for them. So, I say whatever you need to do to make it work. :)
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Ya, what he said. :wink:
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think part of it may have to do with your sleeping situation when you were raised too. I grew up with sisters, and we had to share rooms, and even at some points beds. Sometimes even when we had our own we would stay in each other's beds because it felt like a sleepover. Now I sleep 10x better with someone there with me. When I sleep alone I do not sleep nearly as well, or feel as rested. I think sleeping with someone else in the bed just became ingrained in me when i was young.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am a very light sleeper and all kinds of noises wake me so I can't deal with snoring. I was so happy when my little one got he tonsils out so that if she needed to some to bed with me she wouldn't be snoring. Btw- she is also a talker and a singer. She was on a trip with her dad and was sleep sing "We Are Never Getting Back Together".

In my current relationship we sleep perfectly together. We cuddle as we are falling asleep and then usually end up back to back.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    He is also a really bad sleep-cuddler, and when we went up north in August, we had this huuuuuuuuuuuge bed. But of course, I ended up shoved onto one side with like no room to move. So I started kicking him. He gets really crabby when I do this.
    So I just avoid staying at his place, and when he stays here we sleep on the couch so I don't have to be next to him. Hahah. I'm all about personal space! :laugh:
    I do the leapfrog, once they are over on your side of the bed just crawl over them onto the other side. Also, I've noticed kicking makes people angry too, you can always try gently rolling them over. Just make sure you don't roll them onto the covers or else you're screwed. Also make sure your bed doesn't sag in the middle or else it sucks you in and sleep cuddling is almost unavoidable.

I actually don't mind sleeping with tGF, she doesn't do anything weird in her sleep, stays on her side, and doesn't try to cuddle me. She occasionally steals the covers but I'm a hot sleeper anyway and usually kick them off.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I do the leapfrog, once they are over on your side of the bed just crawl over them onto the other side. Also, I've noticed kicking makes people angry too, you can always try gently rolling them over. Just make sure you don't roll them onto the covers or else you're screwed.

This leapfrog technique sounds brilliant! I'm going to try it. As for rolling him over... Then he thinks I'm trying to have sex with him and then I definitely won't be getting any sleep. Maybe a quick shove will do the trick.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I do the leapfrog, once they are over on your side of the bed just crawl over them onto the other side.

This made me laugh. I've done that loads too!! lol
    I actually don't mind sleeping with tGF, she doesn't do anything weird in her sleep, stays on her side, and doesn't try to cuddle me. She occasionally steals the covers but I'm a hot sleeper anyway and usually kick them off.

I like to cuddle at first as I'm always cold and the guy is hot!! But then it's usually the guy that can't keep his head on his own pillow!!! This just makes me laugh............and leapfrog!! :wink:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Im the heat producing partner lol.... Its part of the reason my house is always set on arctic....... I enjoy snuggling however I am a light sleeper so it depends...... Mr NG had a HORRIBLE snoring problem (like you could hear him fron the other side of the house) and the few times he slept over I was imagining smoothering him with a pillow.. However others who have spent the night didn't bother me. I does take some time to get used to someone being in your bed regularly though....

Most of the time I kinda move them along with a I have to get up early statement so they leave after.......
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think part of it may have to do with your sleeping situation when you were raised too. I grew up with sisters, and we had to share rooms, and even at some points beds. Sometimes even when we had our own we would stay in each other's beds because it felt like a sleepover. Now I sleep 10x better with someone there with me. When I sleep alone I do not sleep nearly as well, or feel as rested. I think sleeping with someone else in the bed just became ingrained in me when i was young.

You have a good point there. I also grew up sleeping with my 2 sisters in the same room. I've shared many a bed with my friends over the years - male and female - and feel comfortable doing so.
  • BelMckenzie
    Options
    I am an extremely light sleeper but I love sleeping in bed with someone. My boyfriend and I sleep very well together, we start off cuddling and I usually move over before falling asleep. I take up very little room on the bed since I like to sleep close to the edge (so he has 80% and I have 20%). I do have a hard time sleeping with noise and light- but he does not snore (thank you god!!), but my previous ex snored and we were able to sleep together. I don't see myself having separate beds with someone since I like to feel close to someone at night.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

"Mr. Dude" as I shall call him here - also snores ONLY when he lays on his back.... and also operates as a heating blanket and professional "spooner"..... I've just become used to it, really. So much so I actually like it at this point. At first I slept with earplugs (lol) but not anymore.... I think the more you are comfortable with him you'll get used to it....
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do the leapfrog, once they are over on your side of the bed just crawl over them onto the other side. Also, I've noticed kicking makes people angry too, you can always try gently rolling them over. Just make sure you don't roll them onto the covers or else you're screwed. Also make sure your bed doesn't sag in the middle or else it sucks you in and sleep cuddling is almost unavoidable.
    Sounds easier than the hug & roll.
    2hgh0co.jpg